HEY GUYS, IM DOING GREAT BUT ONLY HAVE SIX WEEKS LEFT !!!!!! (Read 1068 times)

Shane40

OK,I have six weeks to go before my PT test for law enforcement. Ive taken all of your advice and now am at 18:59 for the 1.5 mile. Ive maxed on my push ups and the sit ups are coming along great as I do them twice a day. I figure if i do them like that everyday for the next 6 weeks I should be good to go. Now as far as the running, the things ive done is diet, which ive lost 20 pounds in the last 3 weeks to shrink my stomach for sit ups. Im 350 pounds and used to play offensive line in college so im a big boy but have the heart to do it. I have to hit 17 30 in the mile in a half. Sounds simple but at 350 its a workout. When i started I was at 26 minutes and now am at 18 59 . I put 1859 so i could say that i hit the 18 mark in my head even though its still a 19. Anyway enough with the manipulation. I need to cut a minute and Sad a half to make the cut. I have six weeks and just cant seem to speed up anymore. Ive heard that running stairs would help build speed. Ive been trying sprints as well. i have staris at work and work 12 hours shifts so i could do them thourgh out the day. If i do stairs should i do them with running or switch back and forth from running one day and the next do stairs. Any help would be tremendous. If stairs are not the answer what is ???? I have a crappy pair of shoes as well. im going this weekend to spend some bucks on the right shoes, or at least have an expert tell me what kind i need. Will this help my time and what else can help my time. More wieght loss?? Anything guys ???
    JakeKnight

Hi Shane! The answer's pretty simple: you need to run more. Not harder. I'd skip the "sprints" altogether. And the stairs. You'll probably hurt yourself. Nothing replaces mileage, and at the moment you're only running 3-5 miles per week. It's hard to improve that way. The standard wisdom is not to go more than 10% longer per week, but since you don't have much time, I'd ignore that. My advice: bump all your runs to 3-4 miles. Maybe run longer once per week - 5 miles? Something like that. Run them all slow and easy. Walk some, run some, if necessary. Walk half if you need to. If you're running hard enough to be out of breath, or where you really hate it - you're going too hard. Run (or run/walk) 15-20 miles per week for the next six weeks, all of it easy. No sprints. Go to a running store and get good shoes. Spend the $$, its worth it. Be very careful. Your size gives you a lot of issues. You're always going to be big, so run easy easy easy. For what its worth, most big guys have problems with distance running. I ran next to Eddie George for a while in the 2007 Country Music Marathon, and he was hurting. (And he wasn't running the full). Not an ounce of fat on him, either. It's just different for the big guys. Take a couple days off before your PT test. Relax. Then run like you stole something. No, change that. Run like the guy who stole something is getting away from you. You'll make it with time to spare. Oh - and the fact that you can max the push-ups weighing 350 pounds is amazing. Where are you going to be working? I wanna make sure not to break any laws there. Wink

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
      -----------------------------

You don't have enough base to justify any type of speed work. Without the endurance and physical toughness that running more mileage brings, sprinting and running stairs is more likely to get you injured rather than make you faster. You've heard it before and are hearing it again, you need to run longer before you'll be able to run faster. Five miles a week just ain't gonna do it, triple that and you might start seeing some progress. Tom
        Hannibal Granite

I tnink it is great that you are losing weight and trying to get more fit, and congratulations on the progress you have made so far. 2 things from looking at your log 1. Inconsistency, several times 2-3 days between runs. You cannot expect to improve your running if you are taking several days off in between each workout. At minimum you need to be going every other day 4-5 times a week would be even better. If you can't run every day then go to a gym and use the elliptical machine, or bike, anything so that you are moving and your heart rate is elevated for at least 20-30 minutes. 2. Never running more than 1.5-2 miles at a time. As Jake said you need to be running more and farther, but very easy. To get aerobically fit you workouts must last longer than ~20 minutes a few times a week. Running is not football and all the explosiveness in the world will not help you that much (which is what running up the stairs would do) Even if you are only running every other day increase to 2 miles each time, then the next week increase to 2.5-3 miles each time, adding just a 1/2 mile to your longest run each week will get you to 4 miles by the 6th week, just think how short 1.5 miles will feel in comparison. Given your weight going much longer than 2 miles running may not be an option due to the stress on your joints. If that is the case go to my previous suggestion of using an ellitical machine, one that simulates running, but has much less stress on the joints. The key here though is working out longer than 20 minutes and doing it more often. You mentioned dropping more weight and that will happen simply by increasing your workouts and watching your diet. You said you were already doing this, but for a diet to work it has to be a lifestyle change not just a temporary calorie restriction, restricting calories to much can actually cause your metabolism to slow down and slow, if not stop, any weight loss. A good pair of shoes is a definite must also (running shoes, not cross-trainers or walking shoes, running shoes) Good luck and keep us updated

"You NEED to do this" - Shara

milkbaby

Like everybody said, try to build up your running so you can run longer, maybe until you can run 3 or 4 miles at a time. Since you were a football player, the analogy is this: say your one rep maximum bench press was 350 pounds. Well, you didn't train by pressing 350 pounds once a day every other day, did you? Maybe you benched 250-280 pounds 10 times per set for 3 sets every other day instead, right? While not the same kind of exercise, running follows a similar tack as you want to build up your cardiovascular system to run faster, the most efficient way right now is to run farther but that will require you to run a little slower just like you had to bench less weight than your max to build up. You can do it, just keep moving and keep losing the weight and it'll be a snap by the time your PT test rolls around. Good luck!
            "You must be the change you wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi "I have need to be all on fire, for I have mountains of ice about me to melt." -- William Lloyd Garrison "The marathon is an art; the marathoner is an artist." -- Kiyoshi Nakamura

Life is Good

Hi Shane, Like everyone says increase the mileage, the weight will come off and the speed will pick up. Shoes are important..find a good store with people who are knowledgeable about shoes and know how to fit them properly ( I don't recommend foot lockers or Champs) if you have a running specialty in your area use it. if not go to runners world at this link http://www.runnersworld.com/channel/0,7119,s6-240-0-0-0,00.html?cm_re=HP-_-Homepage%20Channel-_-Shoes%20And%20Gear and look up some recommended shoes and then go to footlocker, make yourself knowledgeable first so they won't sell you something just too make a sale ( sorry I use to work for them I know how they are) I went through LE PT long ago almost 17 years..it was tough but not bad..I'm sure you will do fine! good luck and keep us posted

Run 1000 miles

bike 500 miles

finish a half Ironman triathlon

Warrior dash 2012

Chickamauga battlefield half 2012

and a few small races in between

A Saucy Wench

Just to echo what everyone else is saying MORE miles, less speed. When 1.5 is no longer the limit of your endurance, it will be easier to go faster for longer. Agree at your weight all running might be hard on the joints so using the elliptical for some of your workouts would help a lot. I would work to doing 3-4 days of minimum of 30 minutes and one day of minimum of 45 minutes, even if you have to walk some of the 45. You may need to go significantly slower on those longer days, but in the long run you will be able to go faster. Weight loss will of course help, but you cant rush that or you will lose much needed muscle as well. I dropped my 5K from 30 minutes to 24 minutes with no speedwork, just long slow miles.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Shane40

Thanks for all your support as I really appreciate it. Ok below is a schedule Ive come up with for the next 6 weeks, Please tell me if I should modify it or not. First week = Jog slow 2.5 miles 5 days a week Second week = Jog slow 3.0 miles 5 days a week Third week = Jog slow 3.5 miles 5 days a week Fourth week = Jog slow 4.0 miles 5 days a week Fith week = Jog slow 4.5 miles 5 days a week Sixth week Jog slow 5.0 miles 5 days a week Test March 19th = Run like I stole something and 1.5 miles wont seem long at all Get new shoes tomorrow where an expert can tell me what I need Continue Dieting and drink plenty of water Last run of each week Run harder than first 4 days Let me know what you think
                  Hi Shane! The answer's pretty simple: you need to run more. Not harder. I'd skip the "sprints" altogether. And the stairs. You'll probably hurt yourself. Nothing replaces mileage, and at the moment you're only running 3-5 miles per week. It's hard to improve that way. The standard wisdom is not to go more than 10% longer per week, but since you don't have much time, I'd ignore that. My advice: bump all your runs to 3-4 miles. Maybe run longer once per week - 5 miles? Something like that. Run them all slow and easy. Walk some, run some, if necessary. Walk half if you need to. If you're running hard enough to be out of breath, or where you really hate it - you're going too hard. Run (or run/walk) 15-20 miles per week for the next six weeks, all of it easy. No sprints. Go to a running store and get good shoes. Spend the $$, its worth it. Be very careful. Your size gives you a lot of issues. You're always going to be big, so run easy easy easy. For what its worth, most big guys have problems with distance running. I ran next to Eddie George for a while in the 2007 Country Music Marathon, and he was hurting. (And he wasn't running the full). Not an ounce of fat on him, either. It's just different for the big guys. Take a couple days off before your PT test. Relax. Then run like you stole something. No, change that. Run like the guy who stole something is getting away from you. You'll make it with time to spare. Oh - and the fact that you can max the push-ups weighing 350 pounds is amazing. Where are you going to be working? I wanna make sure not to break any laws there. Wink
                  Hannibal Granite

Thanks for all your support as I really appreciate it. Ok below is a schedule Ive come up with for the next 6 weeks, Please tell me if I should modify it or not. First week = Jog slow 2.5 miles 5 days a week Second week = Jog slow 3.0 miles 5 days a week Third week = Jog slow 3.5 miles 5 days a week Fourth week = Jog slow 4.0 miles 5 days a week Fith week = Jog slow 4.5 miles 5 days a week Sixth week Jog slow 5.0 miles 5 days a week Test March 19th = Run like I stole something and 1.5 miles wont seem long at all Get new shoes tomorrow where an expert can tell me what I need Continue Dieting and drink plenty of water Last run of each week Run harder than first 4 days Let me know what you think
                    The only suggestion I would make is instead of running the last run of each week harder you could do the 1.5 hard at the end of every other week to see your progress. So if you ran a hard 1.5 at the end of weeks 2, and 4 then your test is in week 6 you could have a better idea of where you are on the big day.

"You NEED to do this" - Shara

You have the right idea but be careful about increasing your mileage too quickly. You are currently running 1.5 miles 2-3 times a week and jumping into the program you have listed is way too much. Try to limit your mileage increases to 15-20% a week to give yourself time to adapt. I would also suggest that you not try to run 5 days a week. Three to four running days a week is plenty at your mileage. You'll be surprised at how much this added mileage will take out of you and you'll need the rest days for recovery. Try something like the following: Week 1 - 2, 1.5, 2 Week 2 - 2, 2, 2.5 Week 3 - 2.5, 2, 3.5 Week 4 - 3, 2.5, 4 Week 5 - 3, 3, 2, 4 Week 6 - 3, 3, 3, 5 Keep in mind that although it may not seem like it this is a very aggressive schedule for a beginning runner. If you find yourself totally exhausted or excessively sore then cut back on the mileage. All of your runs should be at an easy "conversational" pace. Tom

Beatin' on the Rock

You're doing GREAT! Can't wait to hear how you do on your test! Smile
                        Be yourself. Those that matter, don't mind. Those that mind, don't matter.
                          The only suggestion I would make is instead of running the last run of each week harder you could do the 1.5 hard at the end of every other week to see your progress. So if you ran a hard 1.5 at the end of weeks 2, and 4 then your test is in week 6 you could have a better idea of where you are on the big day.
                          I second that. That would also take a little pressure off of "the big day"
                          Runners around the state are getting better today ...are you one of them? TRAIN HARD

SMART Approach

I think you can work up to 5 days per week but the runs better be at very comfortable pace like 11-12min mile pace. Think slow or you won't recover. 2, 2, 3 (last 1/2 mile a bit faster, but not killer) 2, 2, 2, 3 (w/ last mile at a bit faster pace, but not killer) 2, 3, 2, 4 (1 mile W/u time trial then cool down jog) 2, 3, 2, 2, 4 (w/ last mile at a bit faster pace, but not killer) 2, 3, 2, 5 ( 1.5 mile w/u, time trial, cool down 2 miles), 2 2, 4 (w/ last mile a bit faster), 2, RACE (do 1 mile very easy warm up before w/ a few quick stiders about 10 min before race) Also, don't do your time trial every week. Maybe twice more. Week 3 and Week 5. Also, losing more weight is crucial to getting faster.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com