"An Escalation in Austin" (running related) (Read 159 times)

I think the "frenzy" is not a product of this incident alone

I agree with this part. I think the frenzy is mostly a product of the fact a lot of people enjoy clicking links on the internet in order to become offended.

Runners run

joescott

In my experience you have to try pretty hard to get arrested in situations like that one.

Well, I agree completely, which is why it blows my mind that they took her off to the pokey.  I can't imagine that I wouldn't just give them my name, take the ticket, and be on my way.  The only justification I can think of as to why they hauled her off to jail is if she continued to refuse to give her name.  But swearing and yelling at them....  that ain't near enough to take someone to jail for jaywalking.  And I still maintain the "better things to do" argument.  I lived in Texas long enough to know that you can always count on someone nearby breaking out a car window to steal an iPad or something (sorry KerCan ).  And you got FOUR chubby dudes down there keeping the peace with respect to crossing with the light at that clearly highly dangerous intersection.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

Yeah I don't disagree it seems a waste of resources to have 4 cops enforcing jaywalking laws, but, hey, if that's how the City of Austin wants to set its priorities then more power to 'em. Hook em horns or whatever. Yeehaw.

But I'm nearly 100% certain that I could have thrown on some black vibrams, half tights, and a black cut off t-shirt and gone a runnin' through that same intersection with my iPod popping, ignoring all traffic signals and the instructions of police--then when stopped by a cop grabbing my arm--NOT wound up in cuffs in the back of the cruiser. All it would have taken was some yes sir, no sir, sorry sir, I didn't hear you. My name is Mikey Mike and I'm sorry don't have my wallet and id on me because I'm out running but I'd be glad to show it to you, etc. You know, just not being a total shit head.

Runners run

Prince of Fatness

But I'm nearly 100% certain that I could have thrown on some black vibrams, half tights, and a black cut off t-shirt and gone a runnin' through that same intersection with my iPod popping, ignoring all traffic signals and the instructions of police--then when stopped by a cop grabbing my arm--NOT wound up in cuffs in the back of the cruiser. All it would have taken was some yes sir, no sir, sorry sir, I didn't hear you. My name is Mikey Mike and I'm sorry don't have my wallet and id on me because I'm out running but I'd be glad to show it to you, etc. You know, just not being a total shit head.

Yep, this.  And I am sure that first on the lists of things that the cops wanted to do that day was haul this girl off to jail.

Cooperate.  That's all.  You are not going to win this one.  If you think that the ticket is BS fight it.  If you think that you were treated unfairly file a complaint.

Not at it at all. 

#artbydmcbride

I think we should test this very thing.  Does anyone here live in Austin that is willing to give this a go?

Runners run

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Maybe we should test it in all the cities we represent.

I lived in Texas long enough to know that you can always count on someone nearby breaking out a car window to steal an iPad or something (sorry KerCan ). 

Keep Austin Weird!

(In my north Dallas suburb, we're sheltered from a lot of that type of crime you're speaking about)

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

Maybe we should test it in all the cities we represent.

I kind of tested this during our big Monday Night Football day recently (it was a big deal for Charlotte to host to host the Monday night game).  I ran across the street as a cop was directing traffic and she went all WTH, a sheepish grin and a sorry from me was enough.  I guess the cops had better things to do that night than arrest me for Jay walking, either that or I am more charming than that Austin lady.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Keep Austin Weird!

(In my north Dallas suburb, we're sheltered from a lot of that type of crime you're speaking about)

Oh, so they do have crime more serious than jaywalking in Austin?

joescott

I'm nearly 100% certain that I could have thrown on some black vibrams, half tights, and a black cut off t-shirt and gone a runnin' with my iPod popping.

I'm certain this is what I want to see when Boston Marathon pics are posted on RA in April, that's all.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

#artbydmcbride

....... either that or I am more charming than that Austin lady.

I am 100% certain that this is true!  

Runners run

You can't tell from this video, but this is a busy area.  She wasn't paying attention.  She acted like a fool.  Annnnnd, done.

triciaem

This is an intersection near the university where cops frequently hang out and go on jaywalking ticketing sprees.  I think both are true: that it is a ridiculous use of their time and that she could have handled it differently.  As a woman, I will say that being grabbed by someone (anyone) can be terrifying.

Also, I've never had any difficulties running in this city.

Oh, so they do have crime more serious than jaywalking in Austin?

Most definitely. Here's a picture of their lair.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

You can't tell from this video, but this is a busy area.  She wasn't paying attention.  She acted like a fool.  Annnnnd, done.

We only have half the story.  Less than half actually.  We probably shouldn't "Nancy Grace" it too much since we don't have all the facts.

---Based on the evidence provided, there is only ONE thing we can determine without a doubt:  Those policemen need to invest all that money they collect via jaywalking tickets into building a Gym for their department (with treadmills) and a Weight Watchers program.   ---  The Military has strict Physical Fitness standards.  The police do not?

PS.  Someone from Austin, what the heck is a "PHAT Sandwich?"  Tastes good?  Looks good?  Both?  

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞