Shorter races during HM training plan (Read 102 times)

Fletch

I am in week 1 of a 16 week training plan for my first HM.  There are 3 races that fall within this 16 weeks that I am considering running.  Here are the plan schedules for the weeks, with the races I am considering.

Week 2

Tues - 5 mi + striders

Wed - 3 mi easy

Thur - 8 mi (2 easy, 4 fast, 2 easy)

Fri - rest day      (5k race)

Sat - 5 mi easy

Sun - 9 mi steady

Week 9

Tues - 5x1 mi speed workout

Wed - 8 mi steady

Thur - 2x3 mi intervals

Fri - rest

Sat - 6 mi easy     (10k race)

Sun - 14 mi steady/fast

Week 11

Tues - 8 mi + striders

Wed - 6 mi easy

Thur - 2x3 mi intervals

Fri - rest

Sat - 6 mi easy      (8k race)

Sun - 14 mi steady/fast

The 5k is early enough in the training, I think I could just turn the Thurs run into a 3-4 mi easy, then do the 5k on Friday, keeping the rest of the schedule as-is.  If I do the 10k and/or the 8k, how should I adjust my HM training?

Sorry for the long post.  Thanks in advance for your advice.

Fletch

an amazing likeness

I wouldn't change anything.  Going into those longer runs after the 10K and the 8K will make you do them on tired legs, which is good great training for the last 5K of your half marathon. Stacking short & hard the day before a long run is a good thing.

If anything, I'd change those Friday rest days to at least be 3 -4 miles easy.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Anonymous Guest

I would make the Thursday run an easy run, and consider the races on Saturday as the replacement of the 2x3 mile workouts. Other than that, I'd keep everything the same.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

yond

You plan looks like Hansons.  I think if you do want to run a good race, you may need to make some modifications to the plan.  I would prefer to taper a little bit even for a short distance race.

For example, for week 2 5K race, I would suggest to do easy run on Thursday too, and you may also increase your Wed 3M easy to 5M. For week 9 and 11, I would also suggest to do easy runs on Thursday.  Because the race itself is more like a tempo or LT run, which can replace your Thursday's strength training.

Fletch

Hey, thanks everyone.  I appreciate the feedback.  I feel better about running the races now, without hurting my HM training.  And it sounds like it could even help.

Yond - the plan is one from Jeff Gaudette through the RunKeeper website/mobile app.  But Gaudette did run with the Hanson-Brooks Distance Project for a few years, so it probably is very similar, if not the same, as Hanson.

Fletch

Feeling the growl again

Other than needing to be a bit careful on your long runs as you will be more tired for them than the plan calls for, I see no issues.  You are apparently taking Mondays off so you should recover.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills