RA Movie Thread (Read 5918 times)

Will Ferrell in Stranger Than Fiction.  I won't say he turned in an Oscar-worthy performance (hard to say that when there are actual Oscar-winners in the movie), but parts of that movie - parts with him in it - really moved me.

+1

his Wreckless Eric rendition was top.

My leg won't stop mooing.

i think i've got a calf injury.

SMART Approach

I watched American Hustle and Captain Phillips this past weekend and enjoyed both of them a lot.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

BeeRunB

Yeah, they stretched it pretty thin to explain a plot that really wasn't worth explaining!

Another example of a "dumb comedy" actor in a really interesting movie: Will Ferrell in Stranger Than Fiction.  I won't say he turned in an Oscar-worthy performance (hard to say that when there are actual Oscar-winners in the movie), but parts of that movie - parts with him in it - really moved me.

I'll have to check that out. There was a movie called Everything Must Go with Ferrell that good, on Netflix. He showed some other kinds of chops in that one.

Until the Oscars start having  best actors/actresses for comedies, it'll alway remain incomplete. Comedy is harder than drama, yet year after year, comedic performances are pretty much shunned. A few here and there.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Comedy is harder than drama, yet year after year, comedic performances are pretty much shunned. A few here and there.

As a former theatre geek (and one of these days I'm going to audition for a community theatre role, just haven't seen anything come along that's not for a significantly younger or older woman) I must say this bears repeating.  Comedy is WAY harder than drama.

On the subject of comedic actors who were surprisingly gifted dramatic actors I must toss Jim Carrey into the discussion.  He's turned at least 3 dramatic stints that should have won him Oscar noms, at the very least.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

ultramarathon/triathlete

I haven't read through all this thread (it's like 5bazillion pages, no?)  so maybe this was mentioned by someone, but I watched Drive last night and it was far far better than I expected.  In fact, I accidently got it, I have no idea how it appeared on my netflix queue.

It's not like Fast & Furious 9, which is what I was expecting.  More of a neo noir existential movie that I'd dare call, at the risk of sounding like a douche, a film.  Who knew that gossling fella can act (though he was good in the sex doll movie and now I'm going to rent his self hating jewish neo nazi film).

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
            Gatorade Endurance Team

He's turned at least 3 dramatic stints that should have won him Oscar noms, at the very least.

are you thinking The Truman Show, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and Man on the Moon?

My leg won't stop mooing.

i think i've got a calf injury.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

are you thinking The Truman Show, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and Man on the Moon?

Indeed, I am!

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Yeah, this was a real surprise.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Will Ferrell in Stranger Than Fiction.   

Also agree this was very good. After that I thought we would see more of him in this kind of role - toned down the silliness, only slightly off-kilter. Kind of like Robin Williams way back when he dropped the all-out madcap zaniness to do Garp and Dead Poets' Society, but the comic edge was still there under the surface. But Ferrell has reverted back to Anchorman and the like. NTTAWWT. (FWIW, I was pretty disappointed in Everything must Go, I thought that was just depressing.)

And I think Jim Carrey is brilliant in virtually everything he does.

Dave

BeeRunB

He deserved one for Dumb And Dumber! briliant

Steve Martin The Jerk, Roxanne and All of Me.

Joann Y

He deserved one for Dumb And Dumber! briliant 

20 years later I still find this hilarious (and very quotable)... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnkefjCES-4

Loved  Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. One of my favorite movies :-)

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

Over the past week I've rented a few movies from the Redbox.

American Hustle: I really like this movie.  Excellent acting, dialogue, directing and soundtrack.  Very engaging movie.  I've seen both Dallas Buyer's Club and this movie and I don't think I could pick one over the other for Best Actor Oscar for either Mathew McConaughey or Christian Bale.

Gravity: Meh, I don't see what all of the hyperbole is about.  The story just never engaged me.  Some cheesy dialogue; shot in digital format that makes everything look plastic; CGI that was good at times but atrocious at others, this movie just didn't do a thing for me.  I really didn't see anything in Sandra Bullock's performance, besides her legs, that warranted an academy award nomination either.

You people have issues 

RunJasonRun

Last night, I caught a theatrical showing of the original 1972 version of Solaris, which was directed by the great Andrei Tarkovsky.  

I've seen Solaris about a dozen times over the years, but this was my first time seeing it on a big theater screen, and the experience was quite amazing.  This movie is often acknowledged as a Russian counterpart to Stanley Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey, but I actually prefer it to the Kubrick film.  Solaris is insanely eerie, and it provides some challenging food for thought about the reliability of human memory and about whether or not we truly love other people instead of simply loving our perception of those people.

Nobody leaves this place without singing the blues.

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Last night, I caught a theatrical showing of the original 1972 version of Solaris, which was directed by the great Andrei Tarkovsky.  

I've seen Solaris about a dozen times over the years, but this was my first time seeing it on a big theater screen, and the experience was quite amazing.  This movie is often acknowledged as a Russian counterpart to Stanley Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey, but I actually prefer it to the Kubrick film.  Solaris is insanely eerie, and it provides some challenging food for thought about the reliability of human memory and about whether or not we truly love other people instead of simply loving our perception of those people.

Maybe it's just because FSocks was talking about Gravity, but I've got to ask...was the recent Clooney movie a remake of the movie you saw?

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

RunJasonRun

Maybe it's just because FSocks was talking about Gravity, but I've got to ask...was the recent Clooney movie a remake of the movie you saw?

George Clooney did star in a remake of Solaris back in 2002.  It's a good flick, but it does not hold a candle to the original 1972 movie.

Nobody leaves this place without singing the blues.