Cold weather gear - gloves (Read 233 times)

run.87

I had a friend that never wore gloves--even when running below freezing. She would just pull her sleeves over her hands. You could try that.

“Over level or steep, over smooth or rough, over dry or wet…run, run: always run.” 

It's been as cold as 21F on my early morning runs the last few weeks, and I've been wearing a pair of very thin tech fabric gloves.  No idea the brand, they were $10-15 at Olympia Sports.  If it's cold enough for gloves (about 35F) it's cold enough for a light coat with pockets, so I have somewhere to tuck them if I overheat.  And they are so thin they take very little space.  Your temperature cutoffs will be different, of course.

I agree that you need to get used to wearing something.  And it's not just for comfort during the run.  A large proportion of folks in Northern climes struggle with dry cracked skin in the winter months, because heating leads to dry air.  Adding an hour a day of exposing bare hands to freezing temps (below 32F) can exacerbate the problem.  Hands so dry and cracked they bleed when you flex them are no fun.

<wanders off in search of more hand lotion...>

Alright so what about the face? Do you use scarves or tons of Vaseline? My lips are starting to get cracked and it gets hard on my lungs to breathe. Just something I have to get used to?

some call me Tim

Chapstick, yes, and lots of people use a buff or something like that, but unless you've got some form of athsma, your lungs will adjust. Give it about a week of consistent cold.

Mysecondnewname

Alright so what about the face? Do you use scarves or tons of Vaseline? My lips are starting to get cracked and it gets hard on my lungs to breathe. Just something I have to get used to?

When it gets below 15 degrees I wear this:  http://www.brooksrunning.com/Balaclava/280190001.010,default,pd.html

Protects my face and ears from frostbite, and seems to help warm the air I breathe.

When it gets below 15 degrees I wear this:  http://www.brooksrunning.com/Balaclava/280190001.010,default,pd.html

Protects my face and ears from frostbite, and seems to help warm the air I breathe.

A lot of people like the balaclava; I go with the separate hat & neck gaiter, and I like the SmartWool material.

The gaiter is great, you can keep your neck warm or also pull it over your face. May pull up & down throughout the run, depending on whether you are with the wind or into it.

Everyone deals with the cold differently. You will eventually come up with a system that works for you, of which layers/accessories to use depending on temperature, wind, sun/clouds, etc. Just takes some time to figure it out.

Dave

My problem is that I just hate wearing them. It is fine for maybe a mile and then I get sweaty and feel confined and want to rip them off. Then I have no place to put them.

i apologize if this has been stated.

i have a 10 year old and he likes to wear out the heal in all his socks...when he does i take those and cut the toe section off and put my thumb through the hole in the heal they keep my hands warm till i warm up and then i just pull them up over my wrists. price 0 dollars. really cold weather i use socks without the toe section cut and throw a hand warmer in them. price is whatever the hand warmer costs...i buy in bulk.

In order to see the truth, sometimes you have to loose an eye.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Utri/

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Latent Runner

^

Oh I definitely need one of those.  Smile

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
                    • 2-mile: 13:49
                    • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
                    • 5-Mile: 37:24
                    • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
                    • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
                    • Half Marathon: 1:42:13
                    Zam

35-C500 : Uncoated Grey Cotton-Polyester 7 gauge Medium Weight Knit Gloves

BrooksRunner87

I have been running in Nike running gloves and the thermal hood they make with no problems. The gloves aren't very thick but get your hands really warm once I start moving.  The hood is really nice and can be adjust to different configurations. Keeps my face warm and haven't had problems with either product so far.