About ads (Read 863 times)

I don't understand the thing about paying to disable ads. I have never seen an ad on this site. The only thing I see are the green placeholders for ads.

If no one actually uses this site for advertising, why do we need those placeholders at all? Or is the idea that we must pay to get rid of the placeholders?

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I see ads. Loads of us do. I wonder why you don't.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I see ads, even though I pay to not see ads.  I just choose to allow them to show...since they can be entertaining.  And sometimes my curiosity is piqued enough by something that I'll click, which means more $ for Eric/RA/

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Prince of Fatness

This reminds me that it is about time for me to make another donation.

Not at it at all. 

xhristopher

I don't understand the thing about paying to disable ads. I have never seen an ad on this site. The only thing I see are the green placeholders for ads.

If no one actually uses this site for advertising, why do we need those placeholders at all? Or is the idea that we must pay to get rid of the placeholders?

Plenty of possibilities... Are you on a recent version of Safari? If so, Flash might be disabled or not installed. Perhaps you haven't updated Flash in a long time. Perhaps someone has installed a plugin to disable ads. I've noted that are also region specific but I suspect you would be served something appropriate to you in Copenhagen. When I was in Helsinki this spring I got lots of ads for Russian girls and Fanta.

nolancaster

The idea is the ads pay for the continued support and development of the site, but if you enjoy the site you can contribute in lieu of the ads.  If you're seeing placeholders you're probably using some sort of ad blocker software.  I know AdBlock+ does this in Firefox.

Yup, what everyone else said &

I've noted that are also region specific but I suspect you would be served something appropriate to you in Copenhagen. 

there's a possibly those ads could be beer & bacon related.  

Mmmm... Beery-bacon

My leg won't stop mooing.

i think i've got a calf injury.

xor

Based on the dragon tattoo books, I suspect that in Sweden, I'd see lots of ads for coffee and pickles.

#artbydmcbride

This reminds me that it is about time for me to make another donation.

Me too, thanks for the reminder.  Smile

Runners run

A Saucy Wench

The idea is the ads pay for the continued support and development of the site, but if you enjoy the site you can contribute in lieu of the ads.  If you're seeing placeholders you're probably using some sort of ad blocker software.  I know AdBlock+ does this in Firefox.

This

I have reactivated ads for the same reason Zoomzoom does, mostly for the hilarity.   On my main system I went in to Adblocker and allowed this site only to display ads.  But on my seldom used laptop I never got around to it and I get the placeholder message.

Pay up!  RA is awesome!

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Troy.

Yup, what everyone else said &

there's a possibly those ads could be beer & bacon related.  

Mmmm... Beery-bacon

It should be mathematical, but it's not.

A Saucy Wench

You know, I gotta say as much as Voodoo doughnut is this big (well, really tiny) Portland attraction, they are mostly not that good. 

I have not had the bacon maple doughnut though.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Yes, I do have AdBlock+ installed, but I haven't blocked anything from this site, and it makes no difference if I disable it completely.

All I see is placeholders like this:

Ad

These pop up everywhere, but there are no ads.

eric :)

Frank,

I switched to an ads model over a year ago because I like to spend more time working on RA.  It was not an easy decision to make because i want to keep RA free for all to use.  You can read more about it in the News and Announcement section.

The green (for money) place holder are only visible if your browser (probably AdBlock) is preventing the ads from being displayed.  If there are no ads available in your region, you'll only see a white rectangle.  It's a gentle reminder that while RA is free for all to use, it is not free to operate.  Many other webmasters display the message "You're stealing from this site by blocking the ads..." but I'm taking a voluntarily approach.  This site is a symbiotic relationship and could not exist without the financial support from its many generous donors.

eric Smile

Troy.

Yes, I do have AdBlock+ installed, but I haven't blocked anything from this site, and it makes no difference if I disable it completely.

All I see is placeholders like this:

Ad

These pop up everywhere, but there are no ads.

ABP (or something else you have running) is blocking the ads. 

It should be mathematical, but it's not.