Talking about running...to non-runners. (Read 1246 times)

Does anyone else find it hard to talk about your running to other people? Maybe its just me, but I feel kind of dumb talking about how much mileage I did today or how sore my legs are from running. I find it especially discouraging when I do mention that I run and the other person says "You RUN?! You actually like it? Wow, you're like an exercise freak." Because believe me, I am NOT an exercise freak. Sorry, just had to get that off my chest. Anyone feel the same?
    "If you want to become the best runner you can be, start now. Don't spend the rest of your life wondering if you can do it."
      Don't let it bug you when people are surprised to hear that you run or when they call you an exercise freak. Consider it a compliment! My personal belief is that running is the most complete cardio workout a person can get. The exercise bike, elliptical machines and all of the others are for those that are unable to hang with runners like us! Big grin I used to get asked the same question all the time back in high school, though. Why do you run? Do you actually enjoy it? At the time, I felt it was necessary to make excuses for it. I told people I ran because I liked winning and because I was trying to get a scholarship to college. Now that I'm older, I know better. There's no need to make excuses for doing something you love to do. You just have to understand that most people just won't get it. My wife calls the running community that I've become a part of a cult and she thinks we're all half nuts. She doesn't even get it. Smile
        People often equate running with fitness. So yes! Take it as a compliment! Big grin And isn't it great to educate non-runners on the difference between fartlek and intervals? Tongue But I've had some negative people coming up to me and saying that running is a waste of time, and that one will never reap any benefits from it. But so far it has kept me off smoking and that can only be a good thing!

Into the wild

Yeah.... I get this!! 2 weeks back I was at a family charity day based around a day's cricket.( I'm not a fan of cricket but it was fun and all the family got to play) After the game I was chatting to a guy who asked if I like sports, I told him I was a runner and got the, "What do you get out of running?.....there's no point!.....there's no pleasure!...it's not even a sport!". I told him about the benefits including physical and mental health, pointed out the simplicity, the ability to compete in a variety of events at any number of distances in any number of locations, I talked about the precision of being able to log and chart progress, about the comradery and finally, for being able to get from A to B without outside mechanical help....what an achievement!! By the time I'd finished I realised I was sounding like a salesman. His eyes had a look of discredulity. He said he still didn't get it, saying that he prefered the team games like cricket and football (I felt the drinking afterwards was more important to him!). I concluded that I would never change his mind and seeing as he didn't even follow any of my points in favour of running and I'd like to say we agreed to differ, but I said it would be futile continuing the conversation as he clearly wasn't listening...DOH Next time.....I might just STFU Smile Johnny (gives secret sign to fellow cult members)

Shut up and run

Sure, but when I am socializing I usually will come across someone who was or is into running. A lot has to do with people's impression of running. Shoot, impressions make a world of difference especially for people who are not willing to feel something out. When I was into long distance walking, I used to think this dude running 5 miles a day in 45mins was crazy. These crazy Canadians I met a few years ago run 5 in the morn and 5 in the eve.... I still think that is crazy. Dude, I have no idea what fartlek or intervals are? Sad, I knew I was a jogger! I am sure if you start talking about those terms you might end up with some miscommunication. When they ask "You RUN!"? Do you say dubya tee eff do you do? "I watch TV" You mean you sit on your booty and watch moving pictures with sound?

Vim

My dogs are fast, not me

The thing that cracks me up the most is when people hear how far you run. "What? You ran how many miles???" Granted, a year ago I never thought I'd be able to run this far, but why do they ask if they're not going to believe you???

Robin

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

The thing that cracks me up the most is when people hear how far you run. "What? You ran how many miles???" Granted, a year ago I never thought I'd be able to run this far, but why do they ask if they're not going to believe you???
                The funny thing with that is that can happen to all levels of people, including avid runners. Just as non-runners are amazed when I tell them I ran 5 whole miles, I have to admit the same bit of amazement at the ultra folks on this site, with their 50k, 100k, and 100mi runs. The difference is that I know that I can and will do that someday, while most non-runners will continue to be non-runners, unfortunately.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

I find it frustrating trying to explain to people why I run. I try to explain that it is not just the physical benefits but the mental ones. Yes 5 KM sounds like a long way to people that think walking to the corner is a chore but I always mention I started running 2K and walking 1K. Then they start to be more reseptive

My sport's your sport's punishment

2012 goals

100 Km month         150 K month      200K month

5K run    10K run     20K run              30K run

sub 30 min 5K         sub 55min 10K

farandfast

Jackalope

I agree, people always tell me they could never do what I do, but if I tell them how hard the shortest of runs would be when I began running they seem to identify better. However, I've noticed most people ask the same 3 questions. It is a pattern that is set in nature just like the rising and setting of the sun. 1) "What do you do, just like, run somewhere?" (with a confused tone) 2) "How fast can you run a mile?" often followed by "So did you pretty much sprint the whole way or did you have to jog?" 3)"How far can you run?" or "What's the farthest marathon you've ever done?" or some other variant of this question.

"Knowing others is intelligence; knowing yourself is true wisdom. Mastering others is strength; mastering yourself is true fearlessness." -Laozi

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

3)"How far can you run?" or "What's the farthest marathon you've ever done?" or some other variant of this question.
                      I get this ALL the time! What I don't understand is why almost no one seems to know that a marathon is a specific distance. I don't remember ever not knowing this...granted, as a kid I LOVED watching track-and-field events in the Olympics, so maybe that's why I've always been aware that a marathon is a particular event--not a term interchangeable with "race." k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

People always say to me, Wow, I could NEVER run a marathon! I tell them: it's not that you couldn't, it's just that you don't want to! I don't mean it in a harsh way --- I just mean that if you are willing to put in the horus and the miles, most people could finish (we're not talking time here), a marathon. I'm not gonna lie --- I enjoy it when people are amazed with my running ... even if it's nothing super amazing Wink
                        2009: BQ?
                          I get this ALL the time! What I don't understand is why almost no one seems to know that a marathon is a specific distance.
                          Yeah, I really don't get that either. I have a friend who's very proud of my weight loss efforts and my running, and I've heard her brag to people that I've "lost over 100 pounds and now I run marathons." The longest race I've ever done is a 10k. I'm training for a half, so that confuses everyone too. I've heard people say weird things about running to my husband for years; now that I run too, I get why he doesn't really bother to talk to nonrunners about it. I like talking to nonrunners who are interested in becoming runners, though, especially overweight women who believe they'll never be able to do it. I like telling them that I started running when I weighed 250 and now I can run 11 miles without stopping (that number is going up every week).

You'll ruin your knees!

Co-worker: "How was your vacation?" jlynnbob: "It was great!" Co-worker: "Really, where did you go? jlynnbob: "I went to Wyoming" Co-worker: "Really, why did you go there?" jlynnbob: "I was in a race up there in the Bighorn Mountains" Co-worker: "Really, was it a marathon?" jlynnbob: "Well, no, not really" Co-worker: "How far was it?" jlynnbob: [winces and braces for response] "100 miles" Co-worker: all at once? did you sleep? I could never do that...[turns and walks away shaking head...] Nah, not hard talking to non-running folks...if the conversation goes any further, I usually end up trying to downplay it all, how slow I am, etc... Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

People always say to me, Wow, I could NEVER run a marathon! I tell them: it's not that you couldn't, it's just that you don't want to! I don't mean it in a harsh way --- I just mean that if you are willing to put in the horus and the miles, most people could finish (we're not talking time here), a marathon. I'm not gonna lie --- I enjoy it when people are amazed with my running ... even if it's nothing super amazing Wink
                              Ditto all of the above.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Smile

Vim