What's the dumbest thing you've seen someone do while running? (Read 1743 times)

About 20 years ago, I ran in 5 mile race.....about 5 minutes before the race started there were about 300 of so of us getting ready to race (stretching and loosening up. this one guy came up to the start with his runnnig clothes on and smoked a cigarette -- when the started started the race, the guy took one long last drag and then started the race.......I couldnt believe it..

Champions are made when no one is watching

Jill_B

I fly.

I ran The Race For The Cure in NYC in 1999 - THOUSANDS of runners were there - right near the front a group of about 10 Brownie Scouts (8ish yr old girls) were lined up holding a banner. no runners could pass them. Not good.

Bring it on.

Hoodoo Guru

I saw a guy running into town at rush hour. He was in the street, running against traffic with the setting sun at his back. I knew that people couldn't see him because of the sun. Plus, he had a sidewalk he could have been running on. I was surprised not to see his obit in the paper that week.

The tangents are moot.

Almost every night during the week, I see a guy running pushing a stroller with his baby in it. That's not the strange part. He mets up with his girlfriend in the parking lot. Sometimes they get in the back of the car together (baby in the front), sometimes they disappear out in the woods, sometimes they go out on the path for a stroll arm in arm. It's so obvious they are having an affair and he uses the running as an excuse to get out of the house, but must have to take the baby with him. Larry

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

It's so obvious they are having an affair and he uses the running as an excuse to get out of the house, but must have to take the baby with him.
            How romantic. Roll eyes "Wait sugar... I have to get something for my baby I just had with my wife".

It's so obvious they are having an affair and he uses the running as an excuse to get out of the house, but must have to take the baby with him.
              I don't understand some folks. Confused Why the heck is he taking the baby on a run? You sure he's not single and/or a nanny? Big grin Maybe it's his wife and that's her lunch break. If he was married, I would send his wife a letter. Angry You might save her from more pain and a funky STD/STI.

Vim

RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

Start of the Chase Corporate Challenge in 2005. I'm pretty near the front, by the 6mpm pace marker. There's a guy next to me wearing sweat pants and tennis shoes. I asked him about the cell phone clipped to the outside of the pocket of his sweat pants and warned of the impending crush of the 25k runners behind him. He did seem concerned and said he'd likely run-walk... he was clueless else possessed with fearless stupidity. At the gym: I'm on a treadmill. An old guy was walking on an adjacent 'mill with weights doing bicep curls and over head press etc... not the first time. Then he decides to walk backwards while doing his exercises. He promptly looses balance, and falls backwards, i.e. towards the front of the treadmill. As he hits the deck, the weights in his outstretched hands smash into the motor housing just prior to him being ejected off. A sign appeared the next day regarding no weights while on the treadmill. Before a popular 5k race last year. A 50s ish woman started to peform a rather strange warm-up routine. It honestly looked like a cross between T'ai-Chi and the interpretive dance of a child pretending to be a tree blowing in the wind. She was doing this in the middle of the street. Ill fitting day-glo tights completed the picture. Very funny to watch in a sad and tragic way.

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

JimR

Trip over a more than obvious concrete barrier, slam himself onto the ground, cutting his knees, arms and chest and then trying to pretent nothing happened. Oh, wait. that was me.
                    Trip over a more than obvious concrete barrier, slam himself onto the ground, cutting his knees, arms and chest and then trying to pretent nothing happened. Oh, wait. that was me.
                    Please don't steal my stories. Thanks. Wink Yeah, I've done the exact same thing -- except that when I tripped I swiped a fence then slammed into the ground.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

Mitch & Pete's Mom

I run on a path by Sea World's dog kennel and you can sometimes hear the dogs barking. A runner was coming down the path on the opposite side, thowing back his head with his eyes closed barking and howling back at the dogs. "OWWWW, Ruff, Ruff." Then, he tripped over a crack in the path and fell. I stopped to make sure it mostly just his pride that was wounded.
                      Carlsbad 1/2 marathon 1/26.
                        It's in the evening and yeah, I would put money on it that she's not the wife and no he's not a nanny. Even if I knew who he was and who his wife is, I would not butt in and tell her, it's not my business.
                        I don't understand some folks. Confused Why the heck is he taking the baby on a run? You sure he's not single and/or a nanny? Big grin Maybe it's his wife and that's her lunch break. If he was married, I would send his wife a letter. Angry You might save her from more pain and a funky STD/STI.

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"