New Satellite Images (Read 1017 times)

I guess this kind of goes toward Google, but oh well. Roll eyes The satellite images on the route mapper seem a little old to me. What I see is at least a year old and some things have changed in my area. I've got nothing against the route mapper, just pointing it out.

Hi.

Yeah, that's on Google. Once they update their images, though, your maps should update automatically here...

Run to Win
      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

If you're in the US, you may want to try the USGS satellite images, they sometimes have things not in Google. The next version of this site will also be coming with a few more map views.
        Gig

I've been wondering this myself. So, since it came up here, I did a little poking around and found this:
          ***How often does Google update its Maps? Maps are updated as soon as we get new data from our providers. In the US, those providers are NAVTEQ and TeleAtlas, mainly. The providers vary from country to country, and you can tell who the providers are by looking in the bottom right-hand corner of your map screen, just to the left of that little zoom map. Our satellite imagery is mostly from 1 year to 3 years in age. Some of our imagery is newer, and some is older. We can't update the pictures for your location, and they're definitely not real time. ie: if you go outside and wave your arms, you won't be able to see yourself on Google Maps. =)
          It's hard to find a straight answer out of NAVTEQ and TeleAtlas. They both seem to claim updates happen between 3 months and 1 year, but they're in a pretty competitive field. If they're like the salespeople where I work, they'll say anything. Garmin, by the way, uses these two plus Tiger for parks and recreation. If I got this right, Tiger is public information because it was developed by the US Census Bureau using US Geological Survey data. Tiger's last major update was in 2000. This has no relevance to the question at hand. I just thought it was interesting. (Actually, nothing here really answers the question, to which it seems like there is no definitive answer.) Confused
          JakeKnight

Can't Eric just launch some new satellites?

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
            -----------------------------

Can I also make a feature request so that the satellite images are live Wink Actually, if it's cloudy, we need drone planes.
              JakeKnight

Can I also make a feature request so that the satellite images are live Wink Actually, if it's cloudy, we need drone planes.
                Good call. Drones is a good idea. I'd like to have them linked directly to my log with a remote control feature. Maybe have the drone actually follow me on my run? Just a suggestion. If you can arm the drone with Hellfire missiles to deal with annoying drivers who almost run me over, I'll even donate via PayPal.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                -----------------------------

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

If you can arm the drone with Hellfire missiles to deal with annoying hills that I am too soft to run up, I'll even donate via PayPal.
                  fixed
                  Neil Gunn

Gandalf the Grey

fixed
                    Trent ... your 'Inter-Webby-Netty' thing just gets better and better. Are there no limits to what you can implement so quickly? Neil

Running ... just keep running!

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Google doesn't have imagery down very low/close for our area and the USGS images are VERY old...I'm guessing at least 10-20 years old based upon landmarks. I've often wondered if the age of the images has a lot to do with the population density. Seems that more urban areas have very recent images.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Google doesn't have imagery down very low/close for our area and the USGS images are VERY old...often wondered if the age of the images has a lot to do with the population density. Seems that more urban areas have very recent images.
                        It's the same thing with ol' hometown in Michigan. We're smack dab in between Flint and Lansing, where the images are up to date, but there's a big hole in the coverage right where I used to live. It's almost as if there's something there that they don't want us to see... Cool Definitely a function of population density -- they figure no one wants to look at satellite images of B.F.E.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Definitely a function of population density -- they figure no one wants to look at satellite images of B.F.E.
                          I live here and I don't even want to look! The funny thing is that the rail-trail still looks like railway tracks and I don't think it's been tracks for decades. It's been paved for a VERY long time. Some of those photos I'll bet date back before my time.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay