Nike flyknit trainer for marathon 3:20? Any suggestions? (Read 131 times)

macizm0

Dears,

Do you think it's a good choice? I'm 68kg and aiming at 3:20.

Anybody run marathon in flyknit trainers?

Thanks,

Maciej

xhristopher

Dears,

Thanks,

Maciej

Have you done a long run in them? I would think if a shoe passed that test it would be good enough for a marathon.

I'm about 81KG and did my longest marathon training run in Flyknit Lunar (different sole) last month and it worked out fine. Though I think they would be fine for a marathon I've decided against them in favor of a shoe model I've used before.

Dears,

Thanks,

Maciej

Whats your daily training shoe?

---------

joescott

Dears,

I generally refuse to take anyone seriously who shows up out of the blue and posts the same exact message 3 times and who does not make their log book or profile public.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

Does your goal marathon time matter for shoe selection? I think that to run a 3:20 your training matters; your shoes don't matter unless you happen to have ones that you are having problems with anyway.

xhristopher

Dears,

I generally refuse to take anyone seriously who shows up out of the blue and posts the same exact message 3 times and who does not make their log book or profile public.

Joe, we've seen this before. As regular users of RA we know how this forum works. But I think some new people with past experiences at other forum based websites don't understand that posting in the different main forums of RA results in their duplicate posts being clustered together in "recent topics."  It's a different usability model here, which isn't always clear to new users.

I'm guessing the OP is well intentioned and just tweaking like crazy over an upcoming marathon. We should make them feel welcomed.

mikeymike

If the shoe fits, wear it.

What delucj said--making your goal marathon time will have nothing to do with your shoes. Wear a shoe you know fits your feet and is comfortable.

Runners run

xhristopher

If the shoe fits, wear it.

What delucj said--making your goal marathon time will have nothing to do with your shoes. Wear a shoe you know fits your feet and is comfortable.

My race shoes are 3-4oz lighter than my trainers. Bhearn once offered up a fancy mathematical equation of how much faster I'd go with them. I think the result came to more than 5 seconds. If I was 5 seconds slower in my last marathon I'd be doing something different next week.

joescott

Joe, we've seen this before. As regular users of RA we know how this forum works. But I think some new people with past experiences at other forum based websites don't understand that posting in the different main forums of RA results in their duplicate posts being clustered together in "recent topics."  It's a different usability model here, which isn't always clear to new users.

I'm guessing the OP is well intentioned and just tweaking like crazy over an upcoming marathon. We should make them feel welcomed.

D'oh.  OK.  I'm appropriately humbled and chastened.  Smile   My apologies to the OP.

Hey, why don't you take charge of deciding where we're going to meet up post race on Monday.  Seems Bob is skeptical about our former place & I don't know the town very well anyway.  What we need is someone to say, hey, this is the plan!

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

mikeymike

My race shoes are 3-4oz lighter than my trainers. Bhearn once offered up a fancy mathematical equation of how much faster I'd go with them. I think the result came to more than 5 seconds. If I was 5 seconds slower in my last marathon I'd be doing something different next week.

Well okay but the OP didn't offer two different pair that fit equally well and don't rub him/her the wrong way (literally) except one is 3-4 oz lighter and ask, "Which ones should I race in?"

It was just "is this a good choice to try and run 3:20?"

BadDawg or joescott could probably slam 3 beers in the starting corral in Hopkinton and still run 3:20 in work boots. In other words we don't have enough info and the info we have is largely irrelevant to make a recommendation.

Runners run

xhristopher

Yeah, I disregarded the 3:20 part initially because it shouldn't have had anything to do with the shoe choice question but then I regarded it later when it became part of the discussion. You guys are right. Generally a goal time and shoe choice should have nothing to do with each other.

I'm still sticking with my tweaking over an upcoming marathon theory.

brandicted

Dears,

Thanks,

Maciej

Have a pair of these dope shoes , and they are by far the most comfortable shoes I have ever worn. The size fits true to size and has good neutral fit. Very light and cushions your run very well. Have ran in a half marathon in these without issue.

an amazing likeness

Nicely put, Chris...thanks for taking the time.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I can't speak directly to the flyknit model, but just be sure to consume far enough before the race to have time for the fiber to pass through the digestive system.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.