Goal 6 minute mile (Read 6319 times)

I had similar time goals for the last 3 years.  Sub 20 at 5K was a barrier that I've struggled with.  After much hard work I managed to smash it with a 19:55.  I set a new goal for myself of a 18:36 5K (no time frame).  I started working towards that goal and about 3 months later I ran an 18:52!

My point is that I still have some time goals for different distances but I focus much more on the process and much less on the actual times that I run.  I think setting hard and fast time goals does nothing but put mental barriers in the way of your success.  I was so obsessed with just barely beating 20 in the 5K and that is exactly what I did, barely beat it.

I'm hearing a lot of barriers in your posts:

- my training has fallen off a cliff

- the last 20 seconds might be tough

- I was quite surprised at 6:37

- At age 38 I'm not dead yet

Obviously there has to be a training plan and physical work to reach your goals but it is my opinion that the biggest obstacle for most people is the mental limitations they place on themselves. 

<<

“I plan to run about 10-20 miles per week until I break sub 6. As my times keep falling I will do more 400 meter intervals.”

Okay. Don’t take this the wrong way, but that doesn’t sound like much of a plan. I mean, basically 10-20 miles a week is sort of a bare minimum running “schedule” (believe me, I know, I spent most of last year running 10-20 miles a week). It sort of sounds like, “I will do a little running, and naturally my mile time will fall”, which may well be true but is sort of a “so what” kind of plan. If it gets you motivated to run again, then it’s a good thing, but the sub 6 seems like more of a natural consequence of starting to run again than a stretch achievement to me (ie. I think if you put a more structured, more aggressive – mileage wise - plan together, you could run much faster than a 6 minute mile).

>>

I concur. Late last year when I changed job and also moved to a new place, I didn't run much (only about 10-20 miles / week). It took me 3 months to get close to where I was and 6+ months (pretty much now) to really match my pre-break level. And I was running 10+ miles per week most of the time during that down time. So, 10-20 miles / week probably is not enough for any serious training.

I find it odd that a 5k and mile have same ratio but I don't know jack about such things.  However; I do know that when I first started to run, at the ripe old age of 32, I put in a massive 10 mpw yet could run a sub 6min mile in the first mile of a 5k and then fade to ~20mins.  Not pretty and I was likely using all of that 16% anaerobic quotient @ 150% max heart rate.   Good times.

MF:  so... how often are you planning time trials and hence updates to this thread?  I'm hooked already.

Good to hear some have interest in my quest. It gives me alot more motivation to succeed when others are questioning my times.

I was running about 35 miles a week in 2008 and much of my reading tells me more miles makes a faster runner. Well in my track club I met this 45 year old woman who cold run faster than me and she was surprised I was running so many miles. She said she ran about 20 miles per week. That made me even more perplexed and I put in 40 plus mile weeks and still could not keep up with her.

Regarding some of the other posts I am not running 10-20 miles per week all fast. I run around 9 minute per mile pace with an occasional 7:30 per mile burst. But from some of the comments I realize I will have to pick up the mileage and not be laisse-faire about going sub 6. Getting so many comments though really helps keep my interest in doing this alive.

I will set a goal of under 6:30 by August 25 outdoors. Yes i ran all my trials on the treadmill so far so who knows if I may slow down outside. It is so much easier to run 2 mile time trials a week though. It would take me a couple weeks to run two decent 5k time trials. And so far I have not really gone into serious race mode on the trials so I am not yet killing myself with these time trials.

I will probably run a couple easy miles tonight. Not sure when my next time trial will be. Possibly tomorrow.

I was running about 35 miles a week in 2008 and much of my reading tells me more miles makes a faster runner. Well in my track club I met this 45 year old woman who cold run faster than me and she was surprised I was running so many miles. She said she ran about 20 miles per week.

I'm sure there is a 50 year old woman out there somewhere who can run faster than you while only running 15 miles a week.  But comparing yourself to others isn't the best idea.  Comparing you to yourself is all that matters. 

Just do whatever you did to run a sub-20 5k.  Then you'll be able to run a 5:50 mile.  Then, if you want, sharpen up with some track work and you'll crack 5:45. 

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

There's a whole lot of info here on RA about how to get faster and why lots of slow miles are crucial.  Also, why it's a long term process (think years).  Keep browsing the forums - you can learn a lot (as I am) from some really smart people.

Hi Michigan,

For most individuals comparing with themselves, more miles do usually resulting in faster times.  But you can't compare 2 different runners.  Genetics play a big role.  Bekele running 5 miles a week still beat the hell out of me even if I average 80 miles / week.  Howeverk Bekele can't run a 12:37 5k if he only runs 5 miles / week.

Your running friend can be much faster, most likely, if she runs more and use a good training system.

Good to hear some have interest in my quest. It gives me alot more motivation to succeed when others are questioning my times.

I was running about 35 miles a week in 2008 and much of my reading tells me more miles makes a faster runner. Well in my track club I met this 45 year old woman who cold run faster than me and she was surprised I was running so many miles. She said she ran about 20 miles per week. That made me even more perplexed and I put in 40 plus mile weeks and still could not keep up with her.

Regarding some of the other posts I am not running 10-20 miles per week all fast. I run around 9 minute per mile pace with an occasional 7:30 per mile burst. But from some of the comments I realize I will have to pick up the mileage and not be laisse-faire about going sub 6. Getting so many comments though really helps keep my interest in doing this alive.

I will set a goal of under 6:30 by August 25 outdoors. Yes i ran all my trials on the treadmill so far so who knows if I may slow down outside. It is so much easier to run 2 mile time trials a week though. It would take me a couple weeks to run two decent 5k time trials. And so far I have not really gone into serious race mode on the trials so I am not yet killing myself with these time trials.

I will probably run a couple easy miles tonight. Not sure when my next time trial will be. Possibly tomorrow.

I used to read the sub 20 thread regularly so have some recollection of the people who contributed and their training.

I felt a certain amount of envy for the speed of people like Michigan and Mobram...

Being 60 now, I am unlikely to get down to either sub 20 or even 6 minutes for the mile, but I have only ever trained for the half marathon, perhaps if I specifically targeted 6 minutes I might do it. My height and size work against me at longer distances- perhaps I am built for the mile!

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Treadmill run.

1:39

1:38

1:36

1:34

Total time: 6:28.12

Yes I timed it with my stopwatch because the treadmill timer is a little slow.

This was on 1.5 percent grade.

I now realize how hard a sub 6 is going to be because I could not go much faster than I did tonight.

Aug. 1... 8:11

Aug. 4... 6:57

Aug.8.....6:37

Aug. 15....6:28

I should add I am not quitting or nothing. I am going to add some easy miles with a few faster thrown in to get in better shape.

Maybe try another mile in a week or so. I still have 2.5 months to go under 6. I gave myself plenty of cushion. Hopefully not too much so I get lax in training though.

Marylander

Ok, first thing, I am much slower than you. With that out of the way I don't think you should discount what I have to say. You really need to spend some time just training and stop doing so much testing. I don't see a good reason to go full speed over a mile until Halloween (this is your goal day, right?). When I was powerlifting I saw lots of guys who just about spent more time testing than training. They were the ones who would plateau quickly and never really progress (I would lift less in the gym but kill them in meets). Why not follow a good training program and blow the 6 minute mile away instead of constantly testing and barely squeaking past your goal? Anyway, just throwing that out there.

Why are you doing this on a treadmill?  Do you even know the treadmill is calibrated correctly?

Personally I find it very hard to run fast on a treadmill.  I would not be surprised if you were at least 15 seconds faster right now if you ran it outside on a track.

Runners run

"I could not go much faster than I did tonight"

What training did you do in the six days following your last attempt to make you think you could go much faster? You can answer if you want, but NOTHING you do in six days is going to make you much faster. The fact that you went 2% faster is nice, if not a little accidental.

Think process. Long term. Have a modicum of patience to train and let the training do its thing

p.s. if your treadmill clock is innaccurate (weird), what makes you think its odometer is accurate?

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                        We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

My height and size work against me at longer distances- perhaps I am built for the mile!

?  I was expecting to see you at 200+ pounds to say that.  You to be a pretty good size for a distance runner to me.  Or a miler.  Either one. 

Yes I timed it with my stopwatch because the treadmill timer is a little slow.

this suggests the treadmill isn't very good.  a $5 watch can be accurate to within 1 second in an hour.  does your treadmill use an hourglass or sundial?

What training did you do in the six days following your last attempt to make you think you could go much faster? You can answer if you want, but NOTHING you do in six days is going to make you much faster. The fact that you went 2% faster is nice, if not a little accidental.

I disagree.  At Mich's current level of training (i.e, zero) just running a mile all out once a week will yield some performance benefit.  Of course this will plateau quickly and after a few weeks he will stop seeing progress and either level out or start to regress unless he actually trains.

As for the whole process thing, this is sort of Mich's MO--set a modest goal and see how little training he can do and still accomplish it.  It's sort of interesting in a way.

Runners run

I am one of those who can't go fast on a TM,  I am sure my home machine's calibration is off, but even on the treadmills at the Y, I am scared of running the intervals I can on a track. Not even close, at about 7:30 pace I feel like I am about to fly off the belt, but can run 6:20 -6:30 pace on a track fairly comfortably.