How to make your own electro-conductive gel? (Read 7917 times)

Junior Amphibian

Any ideas? Confused

"People ask why I run. I say, 'If you have to ask, you will never understand'. It is something only those select few know. Those who put themselves through pain, but know, deep down, how good it really feels." - Erin Leonard

C-R

For HRM? If that's why use liquid soap or hand lotion. If for something else, I've no clue.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

For HRM? I just lick the strap. Figure I'm recycling my own electrolytes that way Wink
        C-R

Saliva doesn't work very well. Not viscous enough. I had all sorts of trouble with my Polar (and my Timex too) jumping around using spit until the gang over at the LHR forum recommended liquid soap or hand lotion. Changed my tune and not a problem since and my leads stay clean. Just an FYI.

"Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

finney

Resident pinniped

Wouldn't soap irritate your skin? My guess is a salty gel would be best, since salt is more electroconductive than other things. Or go to the pharmacy and buy some straight glycerin and experiment with that.
            C-R

No issues here after a months use. Obviously my results don't automatically equate the same for others. Just passing along what others have told me and has worked for me to enjoy the use of my HRM.

I admit - I don't use anything. I never have any problems either.

Run to Win
                25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

I gotta say, the spit's been working fine. A simple 9-volt battery test will reveal the electro-conducivity of saliva: put battery terminals against dry skin. Nada. Put battery against tongue: ZZZZZZZZZZZ Shocked But in an intriguing manner.
                  Coach Jeanne

Speculum Wrangler

Spit. Or Vaseline (which I also use in lieu of of Body Glide).

Jeanne

Polar recommends saliva initially. Once you start to sweat, nothing more is needed. Tom
                        I use plain salt water in a small spray bottle. A couple spritzes on the strap, and it works like a charm until the sweat gets going.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

Junior Amphibian

I use plain salt water in a small spray bottle. A couple spritzes on the strap, and it works like a charm until the sweat gets going.
                          Yeah, that' what I've been using as well, but the water tends to dry out rather quickly on cold dry mornings. I was thinking about additing gelatine to it? But first I'm gonna try this idea with hand liquid soap or moisturizer, although that's not exactly free. :P

"People ask why I run. I say, 'If you have to ask, you will never understand'. It is something only those select few know. Those who put themselves through pain, but know, deep down, how good it really feels." - Erin Leonard

Marathon Maniac #3309

Believe it or not, KY jelly works very well as it is a water based gel....just don't get the warming kind Shocked Polar recommended this to me as a good way to lube the HR strap.

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!