oh no, not another ipod post . . . (Read 672 times)

Not to flog that dead horse, but after 2-1/2 years of running almost exclusively w/my music, all of a sudden i've started to leave the headphones at home and just run. No trigger. No epiphany. It wasn't the wise words of some hard-core runner-type telling me that only jokers use music to "mask the pain" of a good run. I just seem to enjoy it. I've even turned them off and put them in my pocket on a couple of long runs. Weird. Wonder if this means that someday I'm going to start running barefoot.

ultramarathon/triathlete

Personally, I use music on half my runs. I just like listening to music, it motivates me. I've never thought it masked the pain, maybe I'm listening to the wrong music. I go through spurts. Sometimes, it's all nature, sometimes is all techno :-)

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
      Gatorade Endurance Team

Dare to dream!! Big grin Same thing happened to me. I ran with an Ipod Shuffle for about 18 months and thought running without it would be a chore. Then, my headphones went bad one day and it took about a month to get a replacement (since my running was a higher priority than getting new ear buds - of course). Well, once I finally got the replacements, I put them in and started to run, but in about a half mile, I pulled them out and haven't run with them since. It was just too much of a distraction. Couldn't hear the birds, my thoughts, the cars speeding by, etc.
        easytarget

this topic never gets old because people never get tired of telling other people how to live their lives or in this case how to really be a leet runner Roll eyes
          Wingz

Professional Noob

Weird. Wonder if this means that someday I'm going to start running barefoot.
            *giggles*

Roads were made for journeys...

I rarely run with music. And to make things weirder, when I run with headphones, it's because I'm either listening to talk radio, or a podcast.