Forums vs. User Groups (Read 871 times)

I think it's interesting how many perspectives there are on how this place is supposed to work, even among us RA originals.

Runners run

xhristopher

There is the keep notes private feature, if the raw data is what your public needs to see.

Is there a global toggle for making notes private or not? I know you can do it as you edit individual workouts but what about for everything all at once.

If someone was willing to expose their log but wanted to keep notes under-wraps going back and ticking each box retroactively could become tedious.

Same question applys to maps.

With a couple privacy switches in preferences one could theoretically let the meaty parts of their log hang out while simultaneously protecting their location and intimate parts.

The HL is a place to set goals and talk about running, and there are other groups where it is nice to bullshit and not talk about running.

I don't "own" the sub-3 and sub-3:30 threads, just maintain them.  But my assumption was that those threads were devoted more to the goal-posting, results, races and training-related talk, without also containing scores of otherwise "off-topic" posts.  It gets difficult to follow the goals, results and training content when it's lost in an ocean of chitchat, as someone called it.  (Not that I'm judging chitchat at all, just noting how it can obscure the main point of the goal thread.)

Personally, if there were a vibrant community sharing a common marathon goal, I'd love a user group that they/we could be social in.  The goal thread could be in there, too, or in the Racing forum, or both.  My two cents.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Julia1971

Is there a global toggle for making notes private or not? I know you can do it as you edit individual workouts but what about for everything all at once.

If someone was willing to expose their log but wanted to keep notes under-wraps going back and ticking each box retroactively could become tedious.

Same question applys to maps.

With a couple privacy switches in preferences one could theoretically let the meaty parts of their log hang out while simultaneously protecting their location and intimate parts.

This.  I don't think you can set note private as a default.  And, I think the name of routes still appears (although, maybe the route itself is private?).  So, when I "scrubbed" my log, I went back and had to manually make all the notes private and rename the maps so they were vague sounding.

I'll make the suggestion to Eric.  Maybe it would be a simple change.

xor

Well this has been a fun, relevant, and interesting discussion. 

I dunno that specific decisions need to be made.  It is cool to have a page linking some of the various groups, so I'm glad I did that.

I also unintentionally caused drama in the two trail groups (thing one and thing two).

Meanwhile, part of this is currently either moot or extra fud-filled because some of the RWOL runners have decided to start their own forum from scratch. I guess RWOL, RA, and facebook didn't really do it for them. 

All that said, for the RWOL culture of "dailies" and lots and lots of talk between a core group of people who are socially close (in electronic terms), our user groups seem pretty compelling.  Maybe over time there could be a better way to navigate them and/or discover them for newbies to the site. I think a 3:20 group or a 3:30 group, rwol style, is nifty.  Alas.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

This.  I don't think you can set note private as a default.  And, I think the name of routes still appears (although, maybe the route itself is private?).  So, when I "scrubbed" my log, I went back and had to manually make all the notes private and rename the maps so they were vague sounding.

I'll make the suggestion to Eric.  Maybe it would be a simple change.

Sounds good to me.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Well this has been a fun, relevant, and interesting discussion. 

I dunno that specific decisions need to be made.  It is cool to have a page linking some of the various groups, so I'm glad I did that.

I also unintentionally caused drama in the two trail groups (thing one and thing two).

Meanwhile, part of this is currently either moot or extra fud-filled because some of the RWOL runners have decided to start their own forum from scratch. I guess RWOL, RA, and facebook didn't really do it for them. 

All that said, for the RWOL culture of "dailies" and lots and lots of talk between a core group of people who are socially close (in electronic terms), our user groups seem pretty compelling.  Maybe over time there could be a better way to navigate them and/or discover them for newbies to the site. I think a 3:20 group or a 3:30 group, rwol style, is nifty.  Alas.

Well, user groups are categorized as social groups, training groups, regional, etc., and have a group description area.  If we users paid attention to such things...

If we users paid attention to such things...

Or if group admins took the labels and descriptions remotely seriously...

<looking around innocently>

Runners run

xor

Or if group admins took the labels and descriptions remotely seriously...

<looking around innocently>

And do you have to be one of the buckets, or can a group be in more than one?  Because a lot of the fud in the RWOL move has occurred because things are candy AND breath mint-like.  Social AND training groups.  Which is why their race goal threads and dailies are so chatty compared to how things previously went here.

Again, this is just fun discussion and perhaps moot.

Because lets face it, there are only so many ways you can dissect: run a lot, mostly easy, sometimes fast.

Runners run