In need of a Moral compass - Running bandit. (Read 1203 times)

golddaveberg

Factors: -Entry fee for the Cleveland marathon is $85. -I don't plan on racing hard or being competitive but rather participating in a 26 mile training run. -It is claimed the race is for charity, but there is also a total prize purse over 10 Grand. -I live in Cleveland and pay taxes on the roads where this race takes place. Questions: -Should I feel bad about running bandit? -Should i find somebody else running and color copy their bib changing the number?
      Pay your money and enjoy the race.... This just simply the way it ought to be......I understand where you are coming from, but you just have to do the right thing......Wink

Champions are made when no one is watching

12-week layoff

If you're asking here, you already know the answer. You will always be able to find people to help you justify doing wrong, but you still know it's wrong.
        mikeymike

Okay look, banditing is stealing but it's not like the worst kind of stealing. It's not like stealing from the collection box at church or something. Photocopying a bib # and changing the number, however, is not only stealing but also forgery, so it's actually getting you closer to stealing from the collection box. I'd avoid that idea.

Runners run

Prince of Fatness

Many opinions here.

Not at it at all. 

an amazing likeness

If you want a 26 mile training run, head out on one. If you want to run your 26 mile training run with all the entrants of the Cleveland Marathon, on the Cleveland Marathon course, when they are running the Cleveland Marathon, using the facilities and services of the Cleveland Marathon -- then you need to enter the Cleveland Marathon. My taxes, along with your taxes support the lakefront airport in Cleveland - does that mean I can come drive my car around the airport in the middle of the annual IndyCar races held there? To answer your questions, I would say that, in my opinion, yes...you are in need of a moral compass.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Questions: -Should I feel bad about running bandit? -Should i find somebody else running and color copy their bib changing the number?
                Yes. No.

Sign up for the race and spend the $85. Even charity races can have prizes - sponsors usually sport these prizes. (Race fees go to charities) If you just want a 26 .2 mile training run go do one on your own. DO NOT copy a bib and change the number - what happens to the person with the real bib? Talk about confusion with chip timing vrs bib number. What happens if that person is trying to qualify for Boston? Shocked BTW I just peeked at your log - 26 is going to be tough..... I'd find a half and run that instead.
                    BTW I just peeked at your log - 26 is going to be tough..... I'd find a half and run that instead.
                    true. it would be a shame if medical attention was directed your way when a paying runner could use those resources.

Lazy idiot

I don't live all that far away. I'll photocopy some water, Gatorade, and Porta-johns for you and place them around the course. Wink

Tick tock

Let me know what you plan on wearing as I will be running in Cleveland and not real fond of bandits, So will be glad to point you out to the several thousands of other runners who actually paid there fee Angry If you would have not waited till last minute it would have not ben that high, last month ago I paid $45 for a "practice run" to run in the Hermes 10 miler because I signed up day before instead of the $25 I could have paid in advance. I did not look at it as a race but paid the Money.

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!

golddaveberg

Alright - copying a bib is defiantly not happening after consideration. showing up vs. not showing up - the jury is still out. MrPHinNJ - Thanks for the link. I really like the idea of running the course in reverse there. DrewEOB - Thanks for the the support, I'll need it because i would never use the race support. bhazen - Still running but stopped logging.
                          AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Okay look, banditing is stealing..
                            This I find relatively difficult to believe. Possibly they might make a case for trespass, but I think it would be a difficult one to make, if you joined after the start and left after the end. I've seen people write that you are making use of their road closure permit, but so are the spectators who did not pay. Claiming that the spectators are stealing is silly to me. To me this risks the foolishness of saying that by entering a store to escape the rain, but not purchasing an item, you are stealing from the shopkeeper -- to me that is so implausible as to be silly. This is not that implausible, but I still find it pretty implausible to call it stealing. Feel welcome and invited to argue and critique. Or even to just scold (but I'm not sure how useful that is).

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Why is it sideways?

Ask the RD. If the RD's down with it, then you're all good.

Lazy idiot

To give a real answer: if you're going to be on the course, just don't use any of the "stuff". Like Mikey said, banditing isn't a mortal sin, but it's acceptable to me if you don't take "stuff" (other than the use of a cleared course). And if a race marshall pulls you off the course for breaking the rules, keep the run going away from the action if you feel it necessary.

Tick tock