You stupid, f*(king cow! (Read 975 times)

My current weekly runs are around my work area which foutunately includes lots of hills AND unfortunately lots of intersections. I have had multiple occurances where, to use a word from above, asshats in cars nearly took me out. My years of riding motorcylces has taught me that even if you think you have made eye contact with the other vehicle don't bet your life on it. There was a training video I saw once where it had two kids dribbling basketballs and it asked you to pick a kid and count the # of dribbles. At the end, it asks you if you saw anything strange. Honestly, the first time I saw it I didn't see anything other than kids dribbling basketballs. Then they played it again and asks you to watch for anything strange. I watched it again only this time, about 20 seconds into it a person dressed in a gorilla suit runs across the screen and is visible for 2 -3 seconds, plenty of time to see it. I've heard the video is/was used to teach that the mind often won't see what it doesn't expect to see. Turns out that over 80% of the people who watch it, don't see the gorilla the first time. And often the ones who do, admit they weren't really paying attention to the dribbling or had lost count. I can see that it applies to motorists not seeing motorcycles and runners, and especially for motorists on car phones, who it seems don't even see other cars... but that is another asshat topic.
      This sort of thing makes my blood boil! It happens so frequently now, I've lost count. WTF is up with some drivers? Really, come on... Part of one of my routes passes by the entrance to a typical suburban strip plaza. I usually run into problems crossing the SIDEWALK by the entrance which is MARKED and has a STOP SIGN. If I don't stop and/or run behind the cars I am sure to be hit. I've had more than a few close calls. Getting quite tired of shaking my fist at drivers. Don't get me started on marked cross-walks at lighted intersections. It would seem turning right on a red, regardless if there is a pedestrian in the crosswalk, is permissable. I could go on, but the little vein on my forehead is at risk of rupturing.
        OMG - I'm so glad you are OK

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
        Thyroid Support Group

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ugh, the fact that this seems to not be a rare occurrence for those of us who run and bike is really pretty scary. I've been on-edge about my near miss all day. Even while out driving this PM I was overly nervous--which is not like me. I'm usually a pretty confident driver. But today I felt like every other driver on the road was out to intentionally cause me harm. I REALLY hope this woman has been as shaken-up by the whole thing as I am. But I have my doubts. Here's a map of where the incident took place. I was on Cook headed north, she was on Anderson turning right. I saw her well before she even got near the interesection, so she should have had no problem seeing me--if she were driving attentively: map

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Marathonmanleto

I learned a long time ago to never, never and I repeat never assume anyone sees me...I always run behind cars and teach my boys same. Glad you're okay. Lesson learned.
            jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

map
              I zoomed out (no pun intended) to see where it is you're located. Great area of Michigan there. I miss it! Cry

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I zoomed out (no pun intended) to see where it is you're located. Great area of Michigan there. I miss it! Cry
                Wink Do ya' miss the Winters, though? I will be so glad when the snow is melted on the paved rail trails so that I can avoid running on the road a bit more. At least the only ones who might mow me down there are inline skaters and cyclists. I'd hurt them as much as they'd hurt me, LOL! Are you from MI, originally, or did you just come here for college?

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Do ya' miss the Winters, though? ... Are you from MI, originally, or did you just come here for college?
                  I miss snow on Christmas morning (or at least the potential that it might happen), but other than that, can't say I miss the winters (although I seem to run better in bitter cold than I do blazing heat). Originally from Owosso, MI -- in between Flint and Lansing

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

I'm with marathonmanleto. Never assume the driver sees you. I at times have caught myself not being cautious enough when pulling out of the driveway. I like to think that I'm a runner (although currently on the bench due to injuries). There are plenty of runners in my area. Still, we all slack off occasionally. So, always be on the defensive when it comes to objects bigger, heavier and moving faster than you. I'm glad you're safe, and that you have a chance to curse her out Big grin
                    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I miss snow on Christmas morning (or at least the potential that it might happen), but other than that, can't say I miss the winters (although I seem to run better in bitter cold than I do blazing heat). Originally from Owosso, MI -- in between Flint and Lansing
                      Yeah, snow on Christmas IS nice...though it often seems that we have green Christmases and then nasty Jan and Feb. This year Feb. was really miserable. Bitterly cold for pretty much the entire month. I don't really like extremes in either direction, temperature-wise, but I think I actually do better with the heat--at least the footing is less trecherous with no snow and ice and the liquid in my Camelbak tubing actually stays liquid on long runs. Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

I always make eye-contact before running in front of a car (even if the car is stopped!) and wave as I go by. No eye-contact, no go. But that doesnt mean a driver shouldnt look for me and other runners\walkers. I also notice my attitude towards what is proper etiquette changes when I have been driving a lot recently or not. (I have filled my gas-tank once since the New Year. And it only holds 12 gallons.) I think it is regional how drivers react. In Nashville, drivers are great about stopping at stop-signs. In Mass (outside of Boston!!!) I was shocked when I went to a corner to cross and cars stopped - no stop-sign, no light, they just stopped. In Providence, drivers would speed up and aim at you if they were within 2 blocks of you. I really miss Providence! Big grin Glad you are OK Zoomy! Great reminder to all of us to remember to be safe and watch out for those who dont watch out for us!

Imminent Catastrophe

zoom-zoom, glad you're OK. I've had too many close calls with drivers who I really thought were looking right at me, but kept on going (once on a motorcycle, with serious consequences). It's gotten to the point where I stop at intersections and let the cars go even if they are looking right at me and waving me on, I turn around and face the other direction until they move on, just to make sure. I know I have the right of way but that won't comfort my heirs. You just have to assume that drivers are oblivious, incompetent, clueless, and drunk.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

In Providence, drivers would speed up and aim at you if they were within 2 blocks of you. I really miss Providence! Big grin Glad you are OK Zoomy! Great reminder to all of us to remember to be safe and watch out for those who dont watch out for us!
                            Thanks! And I hope my experience does make everyone more cautious. I guess I'm lucky that I've been running for almost a year and 1k miles and this is the first really close call I have had. Heh, Providence drivers sound like Chicago drivers. There's something called a "Chicago stop" in the WI tourist area I grew up in. It's coming to a stop sign and just slowing down! Wink k

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

You just have to assume that drivers are oblivious, incompetent, clueless, and drunk.
                              I'm kind of thinking that this morning's woman was all of the above! Wink But that is really a good defensive running tactic. k

~ Sarah Kay

I'm glad you're ok Kirsten!! *Gah* Those goll danged blasted .... MI Vehicle Code- Pedestrians on Highways Hubby says that the highway (roadway) contains the main part where cars travel, the shoulder and sometimes the ditch slope. So, even when there's a sidewalk, if you're on the shoulder of the road, it's still legal unless there's an ordinace against it by a local unit of government (twp, city). Not that it's necessarily safe....but depending on where you're at, chances are that it's legal. It'd be interesting to research for our specific area!