Weight Training (Read 623 times)

XCRunner21

I just my summer training this week (man, i hate base work lol) but I decided to weight lift along with running too Does anyone else do this and if so, what kind of training do you guys do (i.e. squats, bench press)?
    Goals: 3 mile- break 16:00 2 mile- break 10:00 1 mile- break 4:45 Run my first Triathlon- done
      Have been doing both for a while and last year running about 20 miles a week (sometimes more) and lifting 3 or 4 days per week.. (tho currently I'm rebuilding my running) I focused on the core muscle groups (butt, back, chest and a little bit of legs and squats). I found that if I lifted heavy for upper body and lighter with more reps for lower body it didnt effect (actually enhanced) my running. If I went heavy on legs with squats and other such lower body work, I had a hard time running the next day. I personally think that lifting is a great enhancement to running and encourage runners to do some strenght training.

Champions are made when no one is watching

Giants Fan

I usually lift at least twice a week. I concentrate on mostly on upper body and core, although I do throw in the legs now and then. I don't love lifting weights....but I do love the results. I find I run so much better with my core now than I did before. I use strictly free weights at home, nothing fancy. Some of what I do, crunches, plank, reverse crunches, tricep kickbacks, tricep dips, push ups(still one of the best upper body workouts), bicep curls, lateral raises....just a few for ya! CC

"I think I've discovered the secret of life- you just hang around until you get used to it."

Charles Schulz

A Saucy Wench

I try and lift 2x per week I rotate what kind of lifting I do depending on where I am. So during base building I lift to build muscle (higher weight, fewer reps) During stamina I lift to build stamina, nearing peak time, I just try to maintain For lower body I do barbell squats and then rotate through other exercises like lunges or piriformis cursties and hamstring curls or deadlift. Some are to build muscle, others are old PT exercises that I like to bring out periodically for maintenance. I usually pick 4-6 upper body exercise, focusing on compound stuff (pullups, dips) with a few isolation exercises. and I alternate active core (like crunches) with stability core (like planks on a aero cushion) Of course this is mostly in theory as I have to miss a session if either kid is sick or (lately) if my crappy gym decides to cancel daycare.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7