Could Dirt Road be added to the course surface choices? (Read 779 times)

Old Running Guy!

Hi eric, I was wondering if you could add Dirt Road as a surface choice on a new course. My running buddy and I run a lot of our routes on dirt roads since we live in a rural area of Michigan. The dirt road surface definitely affects your run time and at present I am selecting trail, which is not quite the same. Thanks for a great site, Harold Stevenson Big grin

Run Run Run

2012 Goals
    Complete Dances with Dirt extreme trail relay.

1800 miles total

Run the Legend Trail Half Marathon

Run the Timber Trail XT 8 mile extreme trail run

eric :)

Harold, Would the "trail" type be sufficient? It is meant to include anything that's not paved. I still need to think about how to allow for custom types. eric Smile
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm still holding out for snow/ice/slush. Wink

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Old Running Guy!

Harold, Would the "trail" type be sufficient? It is meant to include anything that's not paved. I still need to think about how to allow for custom types. eric Smile
          eric, I have been using trail but it is not quite the same. The dirt roads that we run on have pot holes, they have ruts, sometimes they are very soft and muddy. A lot of times in winter they are covered in ice when paved roads are perfectly clear. In general you run slower on a dirt road than a regulare paved road. Maybe it could be called "Unpaved" which sounds a little more professional. Thanks for everything that you do with your site, I think it is great, and if ever your in the middle of the lower penisular of Michigan I will feed you well and take you running on one of my routes that inludes an "Unpaved" road. Harold Big grin

Run Run Run

2012 Goals
          Complete Dances with Dirt extreme trail relay.

1800 miles total

Run the Legend Trail Half Marathon

Run the Timber Trail XT 8 mile extreme trail run

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

if ever your in the middle of the lower penisular of Michigan I will feed you well and take you running on one of my routes that inludes an "Unpaved" road.
            If Eric comes this way I'll bet we could get all of the lower MI RAers out for a run together. I'd definitely be in! Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Top 'O the World!

FWIW, in my part of the country, the only difference btwn dirt or unpaved roads & trails is width! Now, the bike paths are sometimes much more consistent! for whatever reason Tongue
              Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group