Boston Marathon 2012 (Read 2370 times)

bhearn

Since no one will be running that fast anyways, perhaps this would be the ideal race to break a stunt running world record.  Fastest male backwards marathon is 3:42:41 for the men and 4:42:39 for the women.  Looks soft to me. 

Alas, Boston is ineligible. Net downhill.

Kalsarikännit

Alas, Boston is ineligible. Net downhill.

That somehow feels like it would be worse running backwards.  Like there would be a greater chance of landing on your butt.

Who is the governing body of this nonsense?  This is all I know.  And it turns out it is known as "retro running".  Fancy.   And I will admit to occasionally doing it on the treadmill.  I think it strengthens and stretches the legs.  Plus it creeps out the people that you are facing at the gym, so that's fun.  

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

bhearn

I assumed it was a Guinness record -- they have a generic requirement of no net-downhill courses. I know, because they shot down my planned course to break the record for most Rubik's cubes solved in a marathon. If it's not a Guinness record, then I don't know. Damn, I'd like to have seen that 1:35 backwards half marathon.
        stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Best of luck tomorrow, everyone!

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

xor

I laughed.

...and it was no exaggeration.  People in coats everywhere today.

I did see one dude with a Boston Marathon 1992 shirt.  That was cool in a retro way, but damn most old race shirts are hideous.

Best wishes to all youse guys and gals running Boston tomorrow.

Have fun and play it cool!  Cool

"It's hard to dance with a devil on your back, so shake him off, oh wo-oh!" - Florence Welch (Florence + The Machine) - Shake It Out

keeponrunning

...and it was no exaggeration.  People in coats everywhere today.

I did see one dude with a Boston Marathon 1992 shirt.  That was cool in a retro way, but damn most old race shirts are hideous.

heh.  Looking back, some old clothes seem hideous now.  

Good luck everyone!!  Smile   

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Boston 63F @ 4:45 Smile Enjoy

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

SMART Approach

Race officials are recommending first timers or non experienced or undertrained marathoner to not do the race because of the heat!

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Feeling the growl again

Race officials are recommending first timers or non experienced or undertrained marathoner to not do the race because of the heat!

Smart.  They've been warned.

Weather Channel is showing a starting temp of ~70 and a finishing temp of 82-85, depending how fast you are.  So not quite a repeat of 2004, but sucky, that is for sure.  Moving the start back 2 hours was golden.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

They have these things called "water bottles". What you do is, you put water in them. That way if it's hot and you need a drink but aren't near a water stop, you can drink some--right out of the bottle! Some of them are even refillable. 

Youngsters with newfangled ideas and technology.

Salazar didn't need these, and he was fine. Well, more or less fine.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Treadmill Addict

Good luck everyone! 

If anyone is stuck at work with no TV and wants to watch, I found a live stream here- 

http://bostinno.com/2012/04/16/live-stream-the-2012-boston-marathon-follow-all-of-the-marathon-coverage-online-video/

Sarah (37)

Mom to Abby (10) Jacob, (8) and Colton (5)

18 half marathons, 6 full marathons

Goals- run more, lose 20lbs.

Me and my gang in Breck

That which does not kill us makes us stronger. Neitzsche "Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go." "Dedication and commitment are what transfer dreams into reality."

Feeling the growl again

I'm following the splits of a few RA'ers. 

Oh my, it's painful to even follow.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

It's all about Kenya.  And the heat.  Jason Hartmann had a great race, though.

Best wishes to all the RAers!!!  (I'm following a few, too.)