HM Training Plan - Looking for Input (Read 128 times)

I'm going to start training in about a week for a half marathon in late May.  It will be my fourth HM, and my current PR is something like 2:33:--.  (I'm fat and slow and working on it!)  I want to get under 2:30, which I think should be very doable.  I am putting together a training plan and wanted to put it out there for some feedback because I really don't know what I'm doing.

My "usual" is to run 5 days a week when training for a race.  When I got my PR, I had gotten my long run to 13 and my mileage peaked at about 29 miles.  For this current plan, I am coming off a winter of running very consistently (10-12mpw in October building to 16-18mpw the last couple of months).  I haven't decided what my speed workouts will be yet, but I wanted to nail down the mileage first.

Okay, hopefully this copy/pastes properly:

<colgroup><col width="86" /><col width="86" /><col width="86" /><col width="86" /><col width="86" /><col width="86" /><col width="86" /><col width="86" /><col width="86" /><col width="86" /></colgroup>
    Week Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun Ttl  
      off hard speed easy mod speed off long easy+strides    
    1 0 4 3 4 0 8 3 22  
    2 0 5 3 4 0 8 4 24  
    3 0 5 3 5 0 9 4 26  
    4 0 5 3 5 0 10 4 27  
    5 0 5 4 5 0 10 4 28  
    6 0 6 4 5 0 11 4 30  
    7 0 6 4 5 0 8 6.2 29.2 TAPER
    8 0 6 4 5 0 12 4 31  
    9 0 7 4 5 0 13 4 33  
    10 0 7 4 5 0 14 4 34  
    11 0 5 4 5 0 8 4 26 TAPER
    12 0 4 0 3 0 13.1 2 22.1 TAPER

I'm running a 10K at the end of week 7.  I'm not specifically training for it, but I figured I'd cut back on mileage a bit that week.  I figured on doing two weekly speed workouts: "Hard speed" will be stuff that I find psychologically difficult, like tempo/race pace (basically, sustained effort).  "Moderate speed" will be shorter speed and hill intervals that are challenging, but also kind of fun.  The mileage listed above includes warmup and cooldown, so a 5mi "hard speed" workout for me might be 1.5mi warmup, 3mi at race pace, .5mi cooldown.

I am open to constructive criticism regarding my mileage progression etc.  I feel like the standard free training plans I find online never quite suit my needs, so I'm kind of learning as I go.  Thanks!

~Kate

Life is short.  Running makes it seem longer.

The progression looks fine. I would not recommend two speed workouts for someone running 5 days s week though. If you have 1 "speed" day and a long run each week I would suggest keeping the other 3 runs nice and easy. And don't worry too much about the specifics of the speed day--I would recommend something not too structured like some pickups of 2 minutes at 10k effort / 1 minute easy or things like that.

Runners run

I would add a recovery week every 4 or 5 weeks.  Back off the total mileage around 20%.  Not necessary, but it can help reduce chances of overuse injuries.

Thanks for the responses!  Both seem like good ideas.  Maybe instead of a second speed workout I'll do an easy run with some strides at the end.

Quick question about cutback weeks during a training plan: After a cutback week, do I need to return to my previous week's mileage, or can I increase beyond that?  For example, let's say I want to build a cutback week into week 5 of my plan, which currently reads:

Current Plan:

Week 4 - 27 miles

Week 5 - 28 miles

Week 6 - 30 miles

If I make week 5 a cutback week, can week 6 stay the same:

Week 4 - 27 miles

Week 5 - 22 miles

Week 6 - 30 miles

...or do I need to build back up again:

Week 4 - 27 miles

Week 5 - 22 miles

Week 6 - 27 miles

etc

~Kate

an amazing likeness

You will likely find that your idea to "spring back" from your cutback works well. You'll be freshened and ready to add a few extra miles.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

SMART Approach

I agree with Mikey Mike. You don't need that much speed work. How about a mid week a run that is a bit longer where you do your tempo or 2-3 min 10K paced Fartleks around a mile or two warm up and mile or two cool down.  On long run day, you always have option of finishing it strong the last mile or two or even 3 as you get closer to race time.  I would also state I don't think you need to do a 13 mile long run on your miles to do a 13 mile race. I think doing a 5-6 of 10-11 milers would be sufficient especially with a faster finish to these runs.and if you have a mid week run that has a bit more miles in it. I think as long as you get past 1 hour 30 minutes on those long runs, that is good. I think this would give you more bang for your buck- two longer runs per week with a little quality in each. Striders are fine a couple days per week.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

hectortrojan

Nothing more to add here. You already got good advice.

Cutbacks weeks are good to keep you refresh and reduce chances of getting injured.

I would do speed work only one day a week. Maximum one speed run, one long run and everything else easy. That will make you less tired and you can think about adding more time to your easy days. I will try to add fast finish to long runs. It doesn’t need to be started from week 1. Just do it whenever you feel comfortable doing so. For speed work, mix it up if you like verity; hard, tempo, fartlek.

Depending on how hard you try in the 10k, I would cutback on week 8 to recover from the 10k specially if I and trying to do my best in 10k.

Thanks!  I will incorporate this advice into my training plan (especially about only doing one speed workout per week).

~Kate