Three Stories (Read 318 times)

NHLA

A co-worker's Dw donated her kidney to her son. 27 years later the kidney gave out so he donated his. All are doing fine.

It really is an amazing thing.

seeEricaRun

Awesome

Make sure your healthcare power of attorney - the person who will make your medical decisions for you if you are unable - is aware of your decision, and will have the courage to agree to donation.

The decision for organ donation can be, and frequently is, overridden by family, in part because end of life care was not discussed in advance. This can happen whether or not you are registered as an organ donor.

My younger sister has CF and this is a topic near and dear to my family.  As a result of her medical needs, my family has met quite a few organ recipiants and expereinced and shared stories about the process.  My sister is now 33 and happily married thanks to multiple organ donations.

She received lungs from an annonymous hero and when those rejected she received lungs from my older sister and I (15 years and going strong).  Due to the stress on her body of the anti-rejection meds, she needed a kidney and got one from my brother-in-law and when that one rejected after a few years, she received one from our cousin.

Thank you to everyone for your stories and for making the decision to donate.

Jeff F

Free Beer

Thank you for sharing; I have been signed up for years and in my family we talk about this quite often.

I work with many special people, but two are very special.  We saw a brother donate a kidney so that his sister could live a healthy life, it is a joy to see that happening.

joescott

Yep, good stuff.  My driver's license (like many of yours, I'm sure) in red text says, "Organ Donor" with a nice red heart next to it.

Also, some years ago I signed up on the national bone marrow registry.  Everyone should do this also, IMHO.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

A Saucy Wench

Carole (story #3) got her kidney today Smile

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Fletch

Awesome!  Sending up prayers for a successful recovery.

Thanks for the update.  We needed some good news this week.

kcam

My wife, my daughter, my son and all of my other immediate family members that I know of are, and have been for quite a few years, registered organ donors.  I have a younger sister who received a kidney transplant.  It was from a teenage boy who had been shot.  I hope the young man rests in peace and I thank him and his family for that decision.  Eventually, 15 years later, my sister passed away.  I like to think she was able to thank him herself.  He and his family certainly helped my sister live a longer and happier life for the decision they made.

Wow, Carole got her kidney!  :teardrop

jfa

Yeah!

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Great stories, Ennay, thanks!

I've often wondered...other than religious/cultural reasons, why on Earth do some people not want to be organ donors?  If it's something that just keeps slipping your mind, I can understand (see also: me and the bone marrow registry).  But every once in awhile, I hear from or about someone who just seems to object to the idea of someone else getting their organs.  What the heck?  Do they think they'll have some use for them after they're dead?

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

Great stories, Ennay, thanks!

I've often wondered...other than religious/cultural reasons, why on Earth do some people not want to be organ donors?  If it's something that just keeps slipping your mind, I can understand (see also: me and the bone marrow registry).  But every once in awhile, I hear from or about someone who just seems to object to the idea of someone else getting their organs.  What the heck?  Do they think they'll have some use for them after they're dead?

Are religious/cultural reasons OK then? I don't think so.

Dave

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

If someone has such a reason for not wanting to donate, I can understand that.  I may not agree with it, but I can understand the reason for the objection.

In the absence of such beliefs, they lose me.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

Feeling the growl again

There is no room for people to be making their own choices about their body or have opinions differing from the yours.  We all know there is only one right position to have on an issue. And we certainly can't respect those whose views differ from ours since they are clearly wrong. <<sarcasm>>  

Showing disdain for those whom you wish to change their opinions is now an awfully effective strategy.  It would seem enlightening them with the life-changing stories resulting from organ donation and all the good they could do with a final act of their lives may work a bit better.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Hey, nice marmot!

If someone has such a reason for not wanting to donate, I can understand that.  I may not agree with it, but I can understand the reason for the objection.

In the absence of such beliefs, they lose me.

Well, you may believe in the urban legend that doctors are more likely to let you die if you are an organ donor (ie, by becoming an organ donor, you are worth more dead than alive).  http://www.snopes.com/medical/emergent/donor.asp

You may also object to the method used in determining how donated organs are distributed to those in need.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2014/08/14/339579923/who-gets-first-dibs-on-transplanted-liver-rules-may-change

I'm an organ donor and neither of these issues bother me personally, but you did ask for non-faith-based objections to organ donation.

Ben

"The world is my country, science is my religion."-- Christiaan Huygens