Running With or Without Music (Read 1379 times)

So why did the original poster disappear after asking the question and then getting so mad at the answers?
    He's not mad, he just had his earphones in and didn't hear the responses.
    AroundTheHorn

I'm 50 50 with the headphones. Sometimes I just need the distraction. Sometimes, they are the distraction. To the people who think you're not really a runner if you use an ipod....DIAF. Cool
      Roads, where we're going we don't need any....roads.
      Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

I love this board...no where else can a question about headphones morph into photos of Sean Connery wearing a diaper! Wink

TRUST THE PROCESS

The young Mama Bear!

I usually listen to music while running. Running is my alone time, and I love the music I listen to. Double whammy right there. Helps me make time, too. Though when I start running near the waterfront, I'll have to forgo them. Living in a city that is "crime-laden" taught me not to be that dumb as to make myself unaware.
          Couch to 5K support group! Short-term goals: - Sub 35 5K - Complete my 16-week 10K training plan.
          Long term goals: - Sub 30 5K. - Compete in a 5K. - Train for a triathlon. - Compete in a 10K.
          Teresadfp

One day at a time

I've run with headphones, but I prefer not using them. One observation - when I pass someone wearing headphones, not only do they seem to not HEAR me say, "Hi," they don't seem to see me at all. It just seems weird. Reminds me of Ray Bradbury's book (I wish I could remember which one) where everyone wore shells in their ears all the time and tuned out everybody and everything else. Creepy. I guess I should just not say "Hi" to headphone wearers, huh?
            xor

Reminds me of Ray Bradbury's book (I wish I could remember which one) where everyone wore shells in their ears all the time and tuned out everybody and everything else.
              The seashell radio of Fahrenheit 451.

Tracie

get rid of the big IPOD and get a shuffle [$50] -- clip it on the shorts ... Sony Headphones Model Number: MDR-J11G h.earâ„¢ Sports Headphones -- $14 -- [fit over your ear / waterproof and even my 3 year old chewing on them has not caused damage.] In terms of music -- nothing but Gansta Rap -- it's like Acoustic Advil -- you cannot feel a thing ... probably don't want to roll out of church on Sunday in the Volvo XC with the windows down, kids strapped in the back and 50 Cent blaring -- but it works fine in the privacy of your own inner ear. I don't get the "can't hear with headphones" ... maybe "Spinal Tap "11" is the wrong volume setting -- I have no problem hearing others and the shuffle has an easy to hit pause function.

2012= under-goaled

Time is money, efficiency is life. So here's my system for lurking on RA: 1. Spot threads such as these: "with or without music"...."am i jogging or running?" 2. Wait. 3. Skip to page 5 where the disintegration is almost complete. Big grin

Prince of Fatness

Time is money, efficiency is life. So here's my system for lurking on RA: 1. Spot threads such as these: "with or without music"...."am i jogging or running?" 2. Wait. 3. Skip to page 5 where the disintegration is almost complete. Big grin
                      Yeah, but isn't it more fun to watch a fire burn than to just look at the smoldering ashes afterward?

Not at it at all. 

Yeah, but isn't it more fun to watch a fire burn than to just look at the smoldering ashes afterward?
                        Isn't it more fun to throw gasoline on it?

When I first started running I used my IPod due to the fact that I was doing the C25K program and it was easier. After I finished I still used it for about 1 month and then I went out and forgot to take the IPod and have never looked back since then. I would notice that when I was wearing the IPod I would always run faster than I wanted to and would be dead when I got home. Now I listen to my body and it tells me when I can go faster and when I need to slow down (even though I haven't been able to run in about a week and a half due to this nagging ankle injury) I AM GOING F'ING CRAZY NOT BEING ABLE TO RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                          2009 Goals...:
                          -run more miles than 2008

-build base to train for 2010 Rome Marathon
                            I never run with music. Actually, earphones drive me crazy, running or not running. It's like being blindfolded. I need to be aware of what's around me otherwise I feel claustrophobic. - R