Hey Everyone (Read 971 times)

Get back up!

So i've been lurking for a couple of days and I have to say I completely love this community here. I love how supportive and helpful everyone is. Anyways, I'm new here, just thought I'd introduce myself. I'm trying to get back into running as a stress reliever and because, well, I just miss it. I started running in 4th grade and stoppped when I graduated high school about 11 years ago. Since then I've kept active with this and that. For the past several years I've been a pretty avid cyclist. However in the past about 7 months with work, and with the conditions of the roads/aggressiveness of drivers recently, I've cut my riding back significantly. I feel I need to be doing something to clear my head regularly, stay healthy and inspire a little healthy competition (if it is only against myself). I went out on my first run last night, made sure I stretched plenty before and after and feel great (and yes, a little sore) today. Made it through 2 miles at a slow, easy pace, but I feel great today about it. I look forward to talking (typing?) with all of you and have an awesome day!
    Live your heart and never follow.
      Welcome. I'm still a relative newcomer here (since April) and I love it. Learned a lot. You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll scream, you'll sigh, you'll say, "hmmm". Just beware of apes and monkeys. Big grin Oh, BTW - lot of debate on this but stretching after a run is good. Stretching before, not so good. Can actually hurt you to stretch a cold muscle. There! You're first piece of unsolicited advice! Congrats and welcome. And create a training log!

Welcome. I'm still a relative newcomer here (since April) and I love it. Learned a lot. You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll scream, you'll sigh, you'll say, "hmmm". Just beware of apes and monkeys. Big grin Oh, BTW - lot of debate on this but stretching after a run is good. Stretching before, not so good. Can actually hurt you to stretch a cold muscle. There! You're first piece of unsolicited advice! Congrats and welcome. And create a training log!
        Correction: The thing about stretching was actually your 2nd piece of unsolicited advice. The first was about the apes and monkeys. It will all make sense in time.

Get back up!

Awesome! Thanks for the advice! Stretching after about a half mile warm up run though? Is that ok or is that bad too? I created a log, but so far I've only got 1 entry. Hmmm, what do I do to make it public?

Get back up!

Correction: The thing about stretching was actually your 2nd piece of unsolicited advice. The first was about the apes and monkeys. It will all make sense in time.
            I'll be on lookout. Now that I'm not looking for people dooring me as much, I'll divert that attention to the primates. PS - I think I fixed the log thing.
              Stretching after about a half mile warm up run though? Is that ok or is that bad too?
              Less injury risk after a warm-up. But I don't find stretching necessary before a run, I just start slow and warm-up. Some folks walk before they run. Search the forum and you'll find a lot of posts on it. There have even been some articles saying it doesn't help much before exercise and can actually decrease your performance. But it's really important after a run. Happy posting.

Get back up!

Less injury risk after a warm-up. But I don't find stretching necessary before a run, I just start slow and warm-up. Some folks walk before they run. Search the forum and you'll find a lot of posts on it. There have even been some articles saying it doesn't help much before exercise and can actually decrease your performance. But it's really important after a run. Happy posting.
                Interesting, I had no clue. Thanks for the heads up!
                  Welcome to RA! You're right, a very supportive crowd gathers here Smile Your profile says Springfield, PA. Is that the Montgomery County Springfield? You might want to check out this User Group to meet some friendly SE PA'ers: http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Montco_PA/ Looking forward to reading about your progress, Jeff

"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Steven Wright

Get back up!

Welcome to RA! You're right, a very supportive crowd gathers here Smile Your profile says Springfield, PA. Is that the Montgomery County Springfield? You might want to check out this User Group to meet some friendly SE PA'ers: http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Montco_PA/ Looking forward to reading about your progress, Jeff
                    Thanks for the info and the welcome! I'm actually in the Delaware County Springfield. I'll check out the group anyway though, never know when I might be around those parts either. Whoever's idea it was to put two towns with the same name about 45 mins apart was just cruel.
                    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hi there! Welcome to RA...jump right in! Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Thanks for the info and the welcome! I'm actually in the Delaware County Springfield. I'll check out the group anyway though, never know when I might be around those parts either. Whoever's idea it was to put two towns with the same name about 45 mins apart was just cruel.
                        Stop trying to figure out PA - you'll hurt your head and go blind... I'm in Willow Grove, Montgomery County, myself. The group has actually expanded to Southeastern PA, so come on in!

"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Steven Wright

So i've been lurking for a couple of days and I have to say I completely love this community here. I love how supportive and helpful everyone is. Anyways, I'm new here, just thought I'd introduce myself. I'm trying to get back into running as a stress reliever and because, well, I just miss it. I started running in 4th grade and stoppped when I graduated high school about 11 years ago. Since then I've kept active with this and that. For the past several years I've been a pretty avid cyclist. However in the past about 7 months with work, and with the conditions of the roads/aggressiveness of drivers recently, I've cut my riding back significantly. I feel I need to be doing something to clear my head regularly, stay healthy and inspire a little healthy competition (if it is only against myself). I went out on my first run last night, made sure I stretched plenty before and after and feel great (and yes, a little sore) today. Made it through 2 miles at a slow, easy pace, but I feel great today about it. I look forward to talking (typing?) with all of you and have an awesome day!
                          Welcome to RA! I'm sorry to hear that you have had to change your habit because of inconsiderate people. I'm not a cyclist so I can only imagine how stressful it is to be out there on the roads in this area. I hope that your transition into running goes well. Smile Welcome to the SE PA group as well. Big grin

Michelle

redleaf

Just thought I'd add my hello - I'm very new here too and it's been terribly fun so far...

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362