June a big month for Beatles fans... (Read 684 times)

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

This June is shaping up to be a big month for fans of a now defunct little band from Liverpool, England. June 5: The release of Paul's newest solo album (to be released on the Starbucks record label) entitled Memory Almost Full. Macca gets a lot of flack for his solo material not being up to the standards of the Beatles. But while no one was paying attention, he's been having a late-career renaissance. Two out of his last three studio albums of new material (1997's Flaming Pie and 2005's Chaos and Creation in the Backyard) were Grammy nominees for Best Album, and he also released Run Devil Run, a record of mostly obscure 50's rock-and-roll songs that is the best oldies covers album I have ever heard. And he toured the world twice. (And I was lucky enough to see him once Big grin ). This review of the new album has me extremely excited. June 12th: after being out-of-print for 10 years, the two albums by George's other band, The Traveling Wilburys, are being released along with a bonus DVD of their videos and some other stuff. This is just good ol' fun music by a bunch of legends (George, Dylan, Tom Petty, Jeff Lynne of ELO, Roy Orbison) who happened to get together to play on the B-side of one of George's singles, and ended up creating an album full of old fart singalongs. George has also experienced a late-career renaissance despite being dead. Observe: 2001: died (RIP George Cry ) 2002: posthumous album Brainwashed won universal acclaim and was nominated for 3 Grammys. 2003: DVD Release of Concert for George, an amazing tribute concert of his music featuring Paul, Ringo, Clapton, Petty and others. 2004: Voted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as a solo artist June 1: This will be the 40th anniversary of The Beatles' legendary Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band album. (Look for my retrospective that day.) I am standing by my prediction that there will be an announcement of some sorts that day. I believe that the Beatles catalog will be released online, or at the very least announced. The entire Beatles catalog is being re-mastered (it's much needed -- the 1987 CD releases are craptacular), and believe that June 1 will also be the day that the new CD's are announced. Whether I buy them as CD's or online all depends on the bit-rate and DRM, but since EMI is their record label, I am holding out hope for no-DRM 256kbps files.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Imminent Catastrophe

Funny, I never cared for anything Paul did AB. Maybe I'm Amazed is really the only Wings song that I even like. I think you're right--there's got to be something big on the Sgt Pepper anniversiary. I foresee a big deal with iTunes.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Funny, I never cared for anything Paul did AB. Maybe I'm Amazed is really the only Wings song that I even like.
        Yeah a lot of people are in that boat. Paul seems to be a genius without an edit function. He can still write absolutely amazing stuff, but without John or George around to tell him that something's crap, he tends to get too cute. That's why the Beatles typical album seemed to work so well -- 6 Paul songs, 6 John songs, 2~3 George, and one for Ringo to sing. It didn't give Paul room for his excesses. Not to mention the fact that the songwriting competition between John and Paul (and George at the end) forced them to push themselves. Sort of like running partners. Smile

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

And he toured the world twice. (And I was lucky enough to see him once Big grin ).
          I assume you enjoyed it, the smilie kind of gives it away. Smile Which concert did you go to? I saw him twice in 2003 and didn't enjoy the concerts at all. It may have been due to the fact that the people in the first five rows were allowed to stand up and go to the stage, everybody else had to sit. It killed the atmosphere. Since I'd seen him before in 1989 and 1993 I knew it could be much better. I also saw him twice in 2004, the second concert was okay, the first one was fantastic, one of the best ever. Looking forward to his new album. Did you see the video on YouTube (uploaded by Paul McCartney/the record company)?
          June 12th: after being out-of-print for 10 years, the two albums by George's other band, The Traveling Wilburys, are being released along with a bonus DVD of their videos and some other stuff.
          I love the first album of The Traveling Wilburys, the one with Roy Orbison (the second one, Vol. 3, is okay). Guess I have to buy the CDs again since they have the bonus DVD. I agree with you that there's a very good chance that the Beatles catalog will be available on iTunes on June 1: It was fourty years ago today… There have been rumours for a while, this would be a good day for something to happen. @ PerfesserR: Funny, I never cared for anything Paul did AB. Maybe I'm Amazed is really the only Wings song that I even like. And that one isn’t even a Wings song Smile I think he has written and recorded a few great songs but I admit that there have been some really bad ones as well.
            You can tell I live out in the woods. First thing I thought after reading the title was "june bugs"!! Big grin And I am *not* a fan of theirs!
            jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I assume you enjoyed it, the smilie kind of gives it away. Smile Which concert did you go to?
              I saw him in Sacramento, California 2005. It was great. Wanted to catch him in Sacto 2002, but it was a little too close to my wife's delivery date (I really wanted to catch the John/George tributes he did on that tour). '89 and '93 I was in my poor college student phase, so I missed out.
              Looking forward to his new album. Did you see the video on YouTube (uploaded by Paul McCartney/the record company)?
              Yeah, I checked it out last night. It wasn't bad, but not great either. Very catchy tune, though. Haven't decided on how I'll buy the new album (CD or online). Probably CD, as he typically puts a lot of care into the photo selection and layout for his albums. Hard to replicate that experience with a digital booklet.
              I love the first album of The Traveling Wilburys, the one with Roy Orbison (the second one, Vol. 3, is okay). Guess I have to buy the CDs again since they have the bonus DVD.
              My only copies of the Wilbury's albums are cassettes recorded off of vinyl and CD. So I'm not too put out to have to buy the product. Nice screen name, BTW. Cheers, Jeff

June 1: This will be the 40th anniversary of The Beatles' legendary Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band album. (Look for my retrospective that day.) I am standing by my prediction that there will be an announcement of some sorts that day. I believe that the Beatles catalog will be released online, or at the very least announced. The entire Beatles catalog is being re-mastered (it's much needed -- the 1987 CD releases are craptacular), and believe that June 1 will also be the day that the new CD's are announced. Whether I buy them as CD's or online all depends on the bit-rate and DRM, but since EMI is their record label, I am holding out hope for no-DRM 256kbps files.
                Well, it seems you shouldn’t quit your dayjob to make a career in predicting the future. Wink According to Reuters (http://www.reuters.com/article/musicNews/idUSN0133885220070604?pageNumber=1) it’s going to take a while. Maybe they’ll do it next year in June: It was 41 years ago today … – but that doesn’t sound right, does it.
                  I saw him in Sacramento, California 2005. It was great. Wanted to catch him in Sacto 2002, but it was a little too close to my wife's delivery date (I really wanted to catch the John/George tributes he did on that tour). '89 and '93 I was in my poor college student phase, so I missed out.
                  You missed the best, the concerts in 1993 were much better than the ones in 2004 (I didn't see him in 2002 or 2005, at one point I was thinking about flying to the US/Canada for a concert or two but then decided against that).
                  jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Well, it seems you shouldn’t quit your dayjob to make a career in predicting the future. Wink According to Reuters it’s going to take a while. Maybe they’ll do it next year in June: It was 41 years ago today … – but that doesn’t sound right, does it.
                    I had been holding out hope for something at the Apple WWDC (world-wide developer's conference) next week, but it looks like that's not likely. Ugh. Truth is, I'm more likely to buy the remastered CD's than online, but either way, I'm ready for them. From the article, it sounds like those will come before the online versions. The few things that have been remastered/re-mixed recently (The "Love" album and the "Yellow Submarine" songtrack) sound amazing compared to the '87 CD releases. The most important back catalog of them all deserves better treatment than it's gotten.

shyrunner07

picked up The Concert for Bangladesh today at the used cd store...i'd noticed it the last few times i was there but never actually purchased it....when i saw it still sitting there today, i knew it was meant to be...::heart:: Smile
                      jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

picked up The Concert for Bangladesh today at the used cd store...i'd noticed it the last few times i was there but never actually purchased it....when i saw it still sitting there today, i knew it was meant to be...::heart:: Smile
                        Two words: Good. Call. (Love you George)