Chi Running--any thoughts? (Read 1313 times)

Does any one practice Chi running or know anyone who does? Any feedback? I ran my first marathon, and while I know one is supposed to be happy to have finished it, I still think I need to work a lot on form and improving my speed. 4:53:36 is Ok, but 4:00:00 would have been better.
    Will be weightlifting and running to get into the best shape I can before turning 40. Here are my progress pictures: http://tinyurl.com/584qwt
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I think the mechanics of it is great...I haven't "studied" Chi Running, but I've read some of the basics and have really been working on my midfoot landings...my time has greatly improved, I've had fewer aches and pains, and my stability needs have lessened. But the spirituality aspect of it...meh. I gots my iPod for that. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

shonan marathon, girl

I think the book Chi Running is great. Especially a good read if you are dealing with ITBS or running related injuries. It is not a book with training menus on how to increase your marathon time. It does teach you what proper running form should be. Without better form and more runs per week you can't get faster.

next race SHONAN MARATHON nov 3rd, 2012, OSAKA MARATHON nov 25th, i am aiming for nyc!

Diesel Power

I actually went to a Chi Running seminar back in early December of 2006. It was a four hour seminar that cost something like $80. I think it really helped to work with an instructor on some of the techniques, though the book itself helped as well. Of course, not a week after the seminar I sprained my ankle fairly bad. I wasn't able to go to a doctor about it for PT until March (just started a new job), and it was another month after that before I could run at all again. Therefore, the $80 spent on the seminar wasn't worth it for me because I couldn't practice any of it for four months. I

Why is it sideways?

The following might sound harsh. The truth hurts. Speed is not your problem (you don't need any speed at all to be able to run 4:00:00; you just need to be able to run the whole way without stopping). Form is not your problem unless you are consistently struggling with injuries. Your only problem is that you haven't been running enough. You can't get speed or endurance by tinkering around with your form. You get speed and endurance (and good form, by the way) from the strength that comes from heading out the door every day, day after day, month after month. If you make a commitment to Chi, then you'll get really good at Chi. If you make a commitment to running, you'll become a good runner. It doesn't cost $80, and it's really that simple.
            Scout7

Here, I'll save you some cash. Focus on consistency, running at least 3 times a week, 4-5 is better. When you run, run slowly. You can build in some more intense workouts later on, when you've gotten some more mileage. Build your mileage slowly; don't try to jump the gun with a whole lot of miles all at once. After that, it's a bunch of philosophy stuff, and a number of things that are still debated by everyone (leaning, not leaning, foot strike, cadence, etc).
                I'm going to agree with Jeff. I went from a 4:43 marathon to a 4:02 marathon in a year with nothing more than putting in more miles. I'm expecting to go a 3:55 at Richmond in a week and a half (eeps!) with little to no speedwork or concentration on form. I have become a faster runner, a runner with more endurance --- by running more. You ran between 20-25 mpw while you were training. Most intermediate training programs have you doing between 35-50 mpw (you can look at my log if you wish -- I followed Hal Higdon's Intermediate II pretty closely). Simple but true: running will make you a better runner.
                2009: BQ?

Another Passion

The following might sound harsh. The truth hurts. Speed is not your problem (you don't need any speed at all to be able to run 4:00:00; you just need to be able to run the whole way without stopping). Form is not your problem unless you are consistently struggling with injuries. Your only problem is that you haven't been running enough. You can't get speed or endurance by tinkering around with your form. You get speed and endurance (and good form, by the way) from the strength that comes from heading out the door every day, day after day, month after month. If you make a commitment to Chi, then you'll get really good at Chi. If you make a commitment to running, you'll become a good runner. It doesn't cost $80, and it's really that simple.
                  Thank you for that information, Jeff. That was helpful for me, too.

Rick
                  "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                  "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                  runningforcassy.blogspot.com

Another Passion

I'm expecting to go a 3:55 at Richmond in a week and a half
                    I told Stephen (va) and I'll tell you too, Trishie, make sure you wave at my sis and bro in law between miles 13 and 14 in the area of Forest Hill and 41st. She lives in that neighborhood. Big grin If nothing else, this information will give you something to think about at that point in the race, other than the second half of the race. Cool

Rick

Thanks all for your advice. I do plan to keep running and wasn't trying to find a magic solution. But it's nice to add variety to your training so you always have something to study / learn / tryout. It keeps things interesting. I trained with a professional and in my runs went as high as 19 miles (when I was supposed to go to 21), But everyone in my group was faster than me. It's not that I was trying to keep up, but it noticeably more difficult for me to go faster. Anyway, I will take all your advice and keep building up speed. JC
                      Will be weightlifting and running to get into the best shape I can before turning 40. Here are my progress pictures: http://tinyurl.com/584qwt
                        While I agree with everyone's posts about running making the OP a faster runner, I'm also interested in his original question about people's experience with Chi Running. Have people used the ideas in the book, has it improved their form, allowing them to run more uninjured miles, etc...(and, possibly, allowing them to become faster).
                          I read the book - personally I thought a lot of it was crap. Except for the part about running relaxed. Let's just say it's the only book on running that I was very glad I got from the library instead of purchased.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Another Passion

Isn't Chi a type of tea? Roll eyes

Rick

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

There's a reason that things like Chi running, Pose technique, Nike Free, and Vibram FiveFingers are all becoming popular: typical runners get injured at a ridiculously high rate. I've seen studies claiming that 66% of runners get injured every year. Obviously the typical runner is doing something wrong. I see all of the things I listed above as ways that people are trying to figure out how to regain our natural ability to run safely and comfortably. People are realizing that the current paradigm of overprotective shoes makes it impossible to find your natural form. I found the Chi book helpful. Ultimately it led me to minimal shoes and barefoot running. There's no such thing as "Chi Running" of course, it's all just Running. The rest is marketing -- which is necessary to make even good ideas spread. And as for "spirituality" in the book, if you have a high-school level of reading comprehension you should be able to separate the metaphors from the facts. No "spirituality" required. [modified to add] And to answer the question about if it has helped: yes, immensely. I'm a far stronger runner because I run more miles now, and the reason I can run more miles is because I don't get injured like I used to. For me it all came down to better form (which required minimal to no shoes) and learning to run at an appropriately easy effort level most of the time.
                              Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
                              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Isn't Chi a type of tea? Roll eyes
                                That's chai...awesome with a little sweetener and some cream. Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay