Running Miles v. Driving Miles (Read 240 times)

MorganEdge

When I posted my 2013 goal of 1,000 miles, someone commented, "Do you mean running or driving?" As I take a train into downtown or a short drive to the airport, I generally put 3,000 miles on my car, or only about 3x my running miles. Does anyone run as much as they drive or even more than they drive?

- Morgan Edge

Butter Tart

I drive 0 miles, so yes I run more than I drive.

npaden

I average around 30,000 miles a year driving so I don't think there's much of a chance of that happening for me.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

Throughout the year, I will probably drive 2-3 times as many miles as I run. I only drive to the store, my running club, and, occasionally, to campus...but I live 30 miles from campus. Tongue

5k - 25:15 (11/18/12)

10k - 1:01:51 (2/14/15)

10mi - 1:33:18 (3/2/14)

HM - 2:06:12 (3/24/13)

Upcoming Races:

Benched until further notice. :/

Everything you need is already inside. [[Bill Bowerman]]

Why is it sideways?

When I posted my 2013 goal of 1,000 miles, someone commented, "Do you mean running or driving?" As I take a train into downtown or a short drive to the airport, I generally put 3,000 miles on my car, or only about 3x my running miles. Does anyone run as much as they drive or even more than they drive?

A couple years in grad school I rode my bike to school most days as I didn't want to pay for parking and also had a couple high mileage years of ~3500. So, on my "daily driver" I had fewer miles than running miles.

However, each of those years, I took a couple 8 hour plus trips in my wife's car, so I still don't think I can claim I ran more miles than I drove.

FSBD

I wish

I commute 73 miles round trip a day

I started a blog called Sloggingmiles.somedomainorother.com but I never even finished the first entry because I realized talking about my commuting and running was even more boring than talking about them separately and no one was going to read it.  Now I can't even remember the address.

We are the music makers,

And we are the dreamers of dreams,

Wandering by lone sea-breakers,

And sitting by desolate streams; 

World-losers and world-forsakers,

On whom the pale moon gleams:

Yet we are the movers and shakers

Of the world for ever, it seems.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I may run more times than I drive.  That ought to count for something, right?

Wing

Joggaholic

Does public transportation count? I suppose "driving" makes this question very US-centric because i know a bunch of online running friends in Asia and they likely drive 0 miles. I think running miles v. non-human-powered miles is probably closer to the intend of the question? Anyway, my running mileage (40-60mpw) is probably around half of my commute mileage (~100mpw).

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

If it's human-powered vs. petrochemical powered, I'm in better shape, 'cause I bike-commute to work.  Trouble is, I make the occasional 1000+ mile trip, and more than a couple of those per year pretty much wipe out my chances.

Slo

If it's human-powered vs. petrochemical powered, I'm in better shape, 'cause I bike-commute to work.  

I generally get about 3200 miles per year by bike commute. I put about 5000 miles on the pick up.

Combine that with the other 5000 miles or so I get on my bike plus the 2100 - 2300 running I get each year then yeah.

Menace to Sobriety

I drive about 70 miles a year(golf ball). I run way more.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

A couple years in grad school I rode my bike to school most days as I didn't want to pay for parking and also had a couple high mileage years of ~3500. So, on my "daily driver" I had fewer miles than running miles.

However, each of those years, I took a couple 8 hour plus trips in my wife's car, so I still don't think I can claim I ran more miles than I drove.

It's the internet, you can claim whatever you want! Smile

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

I've run one mile faster than one mile drive...driving 494 going north at 6PM during the weekday.  I actually timed myself!!  Is this what we're comparing?

Walk-Jogger

I drive more miles per year, at about 7,500.

But on a daily basis, I drive a total of 6 miles round trip to the Rec center where I park for work and workout, and I've run an average of 7.3 miles per day every day so far this year, so  I run more miles than I drive on a normal weekday.

Retired &  Loving It

Chloey

Run Like a Mother

In a year, no way.  But on a day to day basis, many times.  I often drive the kids to school, pick them up, and drive to work and back. The clincher is that all of those trips together equal less than 2 miles.  I wouldn't need to drive them at all, except the kids have to be at schools 1/2 mile apart within 5 minutes of each other. And I work at night and don't feel safe walking the 4 blocks home alone.  There are lots and lots of days that I run way more miles than I drive.  But then we travel on the weekends to see family and that blows it all out of the water!