Half marathon 2 weeks before my first full marathon? (Read 175 times)

hog4life

I would run the half and not blink an eye. I would however, try to control the pace a bit and not race it. But if you do get carried away with your pace, just know that it could effect your full. Will the half have pacers? Maybe you could pick a group to help control the pace a bit.

Cyberic

Personnally, I am very focused on my target race and would not want to risk anything two weeks before. But I don't think it would hurt your marathon, fatigue-wise, to race a good half-marathon, as long as you don't over-strain yourself.

Gene Rocha

If you run it as a LSD I say go for it, plus it could be a good opportunity to try out race gear and get used to the atmosphere of a race.  You do know that if you don't perform as you expect you will question this decision for a long time.

No more marathons

There are success stories out there as well as horror stories. I raced 12M two weeks before my first marathon and did just fine with a BQ on top of it.

Similar results here - my half and full PRs (set in 1981) are one week apart.  The half, then the full.

YMMV.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

I'm running the Asbury Park Half Marathon on April 16th, then running the NJ Marathon on May 1st, will do the half at an easy pace.

I think you should run the half marathon (if you want to) but run it like you would run the first 13.1 of the marathon two weeks later.   I'd even wear the same clothes and shoes and socks that I was planning on wearing in the marathon and call it a dress rehearsal....

Champions are made when no one is watching

BigDaddyJoe

I'm running the Asbury Park Half Marathon on April 16th, then running the NJ Marathon on May 1st, will do the half at an easy pace.

Irishguy, the NJ Marathon on May 1st is the run I am doing also.  The half is on April 17th at Rutgers.

The miracle isn't that I finished, the miracle is that I had the courage to start.

As others have commented, it's risky racing 2 weeks before a marathon. But with that being said, it could be a great opportunity for you to properly prepare mentally for the marathon 2 short weeks later. If you do decide to run the 1/2 marathon, use it as a training run not to try to set a new PR. Some benefits of running the 1/2 includes race atmosphere, it's hard to train for that, water stations, and running your pace among other runners.

I personally would run the race, I would run the first 10 miles just as I plan for my marathon, but the last 5K I would pick it up to a 1/2 marathon to 10K pace (which should be something close to your lactate threshold). Rule of thumb is it takes 10 days to seek any benefit for a "hard" workout, so you will get some benefit to running the last 5K hard. Hit every water station and fuel as you would for a full marathon not a half. Goal would be to start of slower than marathon pace for the first 2-3 miles and then steady marathon pace until the last 5K. You should be able to have a conversation at your marathon pace, so make sure you can do the same thing during the 1/2 marathon.

Just remember that your marathon training will basically be finished by then, and all you are doing is maintaining fitness level and speed until race day.

2015 Goals 
                  1800 Logged Miles

13.1 under 1:31:00 1:29:52 11/8/15

Sub 3:20 Marathon (3:31:42 Steamtown Marathon - stomach issues)

PR
                  5K 18:57.84 (5/31/2014)
                  8K 32:45.96 (3/15/2015)

10K 42:22.55 (9/2/2013)

10 Mile 1:09:20 (8/23/2014)

1/2 Marathon 1:29:52.6 (11/8/2015)

Marathon 3:27:11 (10/12/2014) Chicago Marathon IT Band issues late in the race

Running History - Started running in July 2009

5 - 2 Milers / 55 - 5K's / 1 - 6K / 5 - 8K's / 4 - 5 Milers / 4 - 10K's / 1 - 10 miler / 16 - 1/2 Marathons / 5 - Marathons

Running Equipment: Garmin 910XT, Brooks Launch

Linda

I disagree with most of the advice.  If it is a race, there is a good chance that you are going to run faster than you would otherwise.  After my first half, I developed a bit of PF.  That is the last thing you need before a marathon.  I just ran a half a couple of weeks ago, and I still feel a little sore.  I never would have thought that I would still be feeling the effects of that half.  I just wouldn't risk it.

IG profile @lindasig_runs

Headsweats Ambassador Discount Code  "LINDASIGRUNS"

Over 45 PR's:  5K - 21:21, Half - 1:39:49, Full - 3:33.47

Irishguy, the NJ Marathon on May 1st is the run I am doing also.  The half is on April 17th at Rutgers.

Cool, maybe I'll see ya at one of the training runs this winter, they have decent training runs if you've never run it before.

bap

I tried to hold back on my pace 3 weeks before a marathon PR. Given your experiences I wouldn't recommend running for more than 60 minutes at an easy pace 2 weeks before a marathon.

Certified Running Coach
                        Crocked since 2013

JanaLamb

IMO, I think it's safer if you would not risk it. Although it's two weeks prior the race, there are others who don't fully recover even with a time frame like that. There may be successful stories, but that doesn't mean you'll also have one.

Increase Speed and Stamina Blog