Feeling faint (Read 1046 times)

Slow-smooth-fast

Over the last few weeks, I have noticed that on 2 occasions whilst out running, I have experienced a very horrible feeling. It is when I have been doing just an average easy run, once was in the morning after my porridge, and one was after work, after having a banana. I felt a real weakness, like I was unable to carry on. I managed to get home both times, and noticed that I was shaking a little. My girlfriend thought I looked pale too. Does anyone else ever encounter this? Any ideas of what it is?

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

That happened to me ONCE, and I'm still not quite sure why ... my guess is that I had a yogurt before a run (and only that), and the sugar caused me to crash halfway through my run. You might want to see a doc if it continues --- good luck!
      2009: BQ?
        I get that way on occaision, Eddy, usually if I exert myself around noon but before lunch. I get a little shaky and often have to sit down. It seems to be linked to not eating enough, for me. When I notice, I force myself to eat a sandwich and drink something sugary, and I seem to be alright after a little bit. I know what you mean though, it is a really bad feeling. I thought I might be getting diabetic like, or something, so I talked with my Dr. about it, and he ran some blood sugar tests, but everything checked out fine. You might still want to mention it to your physician, esp. if it happens often.
        mikeymike

You bonked. It has happened to me a few times when I didn't eat enough between runs. I know a big part of why you started running was weight loss but it's important to make sure you're getting enough calories to support the amount of running you are doing.

Runners run

jcasetnl

Over the last few weeks, I have noticed that on 2 occasions whilst out running, I have experienced a very horrible feeling. It is when I have been doing just an average easy run, once was in the morning after my porridge, and one was after work, after having a banana. I felt a real weakness, like I was unable to carry on. I managed to get home both times, and noticed that I was shaking a little. My girlfriend thought I looked pale too. Does anyone else ever encounter this? Any ideas of what it is?
            Your blood sugar dipped. Feeling feint/weak and getting the shakes are all signs of it. Another common sign is a cold sweat. Sometimes you get a feeling of dizzyness or naseua as well. Personally, I drink half a can of soda or whatever energy drink I have on-hand after a workout so this doesn't happen. Particularly on a hot day I'm susceptible. Okay, sometimes a whole can. BUT there is also another possibility. If you get this feeling with increased frequency, you might want to get your iron checked out or just take a little iron - particularly if you don't eat a lot of iron rich foods (you mentioned you were doing weight watchers). Careful with the iron though. It makes you constipated in higher doses. Also, if iron is a problem it takes anywhere from 2 - 8 weeks to fix it. I take half a pill twice a week (pill cutter). I think it's 300 mg, with about 70 of those being the stuff that counts.