Can running shoes really start costing this much? (Read 458 times)

xhristopher

You can spend $190 on these Asics. They don't even match and look like the probably weigh 14 oz. each.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Clown vomit!!!

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Mmmmm...beer

Big grin

I'm still paying ~$70 for last year's models on closeout.

Same here, haven't spent more than $65 for a pair of shoes yet.  I might break that rule, cause I want a pair of Type A5s for my next 5k, and they're $90.  Altho, the Fastwitch 5 is on liquidation for $50, maybe I'll try those.  I really want Cortana 2s also, but I'm not paying $140 for 'em, so I'll wait and keep buying original Cortanas on clearance. Smile

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Melton

I try to keep it under $70 if at all possible, it's really not that difficult.  I picked up 4 pairs of Peg 29's around Christmas for under $65 each, I'm good for awhile...lol

TigerEyess

I'll see your bet and raise you our regular prices in Canada:  http://ca.shop.runningroom.com/shoes.html

Quite literally cheaper buy from the states INCLUDING shipping + duty than it is to buy on clearance at the store across town.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I'll see your bet and raise you our regular prices in Canada:  http://ca.shop.runningroom.com/shoes.html

Quite literally cheaper buy from the states INCLUDING shipping + duty than it is to buy on clearance at the store across town.

Shoes are marked up in Canada something crazy.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/story/2013/02/06/pol-senate-reports-on-canada-us-price-differences.html

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Splashalot

Pah, you Americans and Canadians have it easy!  You want to be ripped off? Come to Australia: http://www.asics.com.au/footwear/running-shoes/gel-kayano--19-m

TigerEyess

Holy sh!t!

Rungry!

Clown vomit!!!

They have the same fashion sensibility as the shoes available at my local bowling alley...

Jen

Splashalot

Holy sh!t!

And what makes it doubly-galling is that as I type this the Aus dollar is currently trading at $1.06 vs the US dollar!  So using US currency values as a benchmark, Kayanos should be $130-ish here in Australia instead of $260.  Someone is making a killing....

Feeling the growl again

They have the same fashion sensibility as the shoes available at my local bowling alley...

I said something similar on here recently but I was informed by those in the industry that clown shoes are what everybody wants to buy now....

I have a habit of wearing worn out running shoes as everyday knockaround shoes once they are retired.  Some functions of my company are allowed to dress below business casual.  I saw one of these folks walking the hall today in jeans, a decent button-down shirt.....and a pair of these clown shoes.

It looked as stupid as I imagined it would.  Smile

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

xhristopher

Oh Noes!!

New Balance 2040

Cushioning

$274.99

In all seriousness, these shoes have one thing that very, very few other shoes have. That's a 4E width. So, if you are diabetic with swollen feet like my dad or need shoes to go over braces like my son these are a hell of a lot better (and more expensive) than the usual "medical" looking shoes, especially if someone with 4E wide feet wants to run.

It would be nice to see more 4E width options in running shoes at normal prices but I guess there isn't enough of a market to give manufactures reason to bother.

NB 1540 (my son's shoes) Diabetic (my dad's shoes)

When you consider the costs of some of these shoes, it becomes a LOT easier to understand why a lot of people are starting to run barefooted.......cause they cant afford running shoes......

Champions are made when no one is watching

Splashalot

I said something similar on here recently but I was informed by those in the industry that clown shoes are what everybody wants to buy now....

Well, maybe some people like colour?  For example, I think Nike grey is so unbelievably b-o-r-i-n-g I wouldn't be seen dead in them.  I attempted unsuccessfully to try-on some recently, but was rendered unconscious by their oppressive drabness.

A lot of shoes come in a choice of bright colours or abject boredom.  Choice is good.  Each to their own, OK?

And what makes it doubly-galling is that as I type this the Aus dollar is currently trading at $1.06 vs the US dollar!  So using US currency values as a benchmark, Kayanos should be $130-ish here in Australia instead of $260.  Someone is making a killing....

Ok. Yes. We need to talk about this. I also believe someone is making a killing on this stuff. I live in Germany, and my impression is that shoes cost the same number of euros as dollars - i.e. are 30% more expensive here. Your basic wave riders, air pegasus or whatever are running at LEAST 120-130 euro in the shops. That's almost $160!! Granted the 19.5% value-added tax means the pre-tax price is more like 100 euro, but that's still $130. I don't think I've ever seen Wave Riders for $130 in a US running shop.

So, and then you have the "higher end" models e.g. Wave Nirvana retailing for 150 euro...fortunately last year's models are generally available for 80-90 euro online, which seems like a good deal in comparison.