Weight training and injury prevention for runners (Read 1228 times)

So I have taken to a regular weight training program. It is my understanding that muscle balance has a lot to do with injury prevention. I want to know what ratio of weights I should use. I read somewhere that your hamstrings should be 80% as strong as your quads. How about inner/outer thighs? What about hip extensors and hip flexors. Also is that 80% rule for quads/hamstrings accurate? Any help would be appreciated
      I probably wouldn't think of it that way. I've never heard of the 80% thing. Just stick to compound, multi-joint exercises like squats and deadlifts and you'll work all your muscle. For upper body, push-ups, bench press, pull-ups, military presses are the ticket. Don't overthink it. Keep it simple and you'll get the best results in the shortest amount of time. There's a great book by Mark Rippetoe called "Starting Strength" that I highly recommend.

I probably wouldn't think of it that way. I've never heard of the 80% thing. Just stick to compound, multi-joint exercises like squats and deadlifts and you'll work all your muscle. For upper body, push-ups, bench press, pull-ups, military presses are the ticket. Don't overthink it. Keep it simple and you'll get the best results in the shortest amount of time.
        Ditto these comments....Weight training is just like running.......its really easy to make it complicated when it doesnt have to be. Follow EGH's advice for a number of sets and reps that is comfortable for you (starting out light and easy at first) and then build or increase your weights over time........Its really that simple Wink

Champions are made when no one is watching