Running/ Pregnancy (Read 124 times)

Dream Maker

Who ran through your pregnancy? Did you run marathons? I'm especially interested in what you did first trimester.

I know from my research and just fetal development the first trimester is more dangerous for overheating, dehydration, etc, than second and third. (Always found that funny- people glare or yell at you when you have the big tummy, but risk is very low then. No one says anything early on when the risk would be higher!)

I ran through my last pregnancy straight to delivery date, but no marathons- never more than 15 miles. That was many years ago, though, when I had only ran 3 marathons before.

At this point, I have run well over 100 marathons and ultras and know how to take it easy. Pregnant again!

Good or bad, let me know your personal experiences with marathons and pregnancy, or if you have specific peer-reviewed research.

Again, especially interested in the first 16 weeks or so.

I always assumed if I got pregnant again I'd run marathons just easier, but now that I AM pregnant I'm a little more scared for growing baby, and I wasn't in my best shape or even close when I conceived since it was not long after having to take an extended time off with injury.. I've not  felt awesome so far, but first trimester was my hardest to run trimester last time, too and then I felt great.

Village people

Congratulations! That is exciting.

I ran through all but my first pregnancy with the encouragement of my OB's. It has been awhile but I remember being more cautious with each pregnancy. Maybe I was more aware of what was at stake. Not all of my pregnancies were the same and I was not a big distance runner way back then. For some of my pregnancies, running helped distract me from my morning sickness. One of my later pregnancies was quite rough and I stopped running and started again in my second trimester. I would run when other kids were napping and come the third trimester, I took advantage of the quiet and napped with them. A big issue for me and you might notice it later this pregnancy, was the Braxton hicks. Running would bring them on and I would have to walk.

Hopefully others will have better advice but I would just keep doing what you are doing but pay attention to heat and all those pregnancy aches and pains are worse in subsequent pregnancies but I didn't notice it until my third pregnancy. Maybe because no one has told me. Smile

congrats, again.

superspike113

Honorary Old

I ran through my first pregnancy, but developed a major SI joint problem. I don't know if it was caused by running through pregnancy, or if I would have had issues regardless, but with my second pregnancy I was hardly able to run at all because of my low back pain. I wore a pregnancy support belt for running (and all the time my 2nd) which helped a lot. I have spent $$$$ on chiropractic care since having kids!

If it feels good, do it. If it doesn't feel good, don't do it. Just be smart, stay hydrated, and don't run to the point of exhaustion. I have several friends that ran marathons or more during pregnancy and had happy, healthy babies.

2 Mile: 17: 11   5k PR: 27:45    5 Mile: 44:11    10K: 59:01    Half: 2:15:59     Marathon: 5:50:07

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Running in the first trimester is very likely very safe.

Congratulations! ...No personal info on long distance running and pregnancy but...

I have three kids, ran through all three, pushed first one in stroller while pregnant with second one...until belly was too large for me to safely hold stroller handles! HA!

First one, I ran up to the day before she was born, and all three - ran through all trimesters. I like to run in the heat of the day, but when pregnant, I ran earlier in morning or later in the day & kept my mileage to 6 and under. Those were the only modifications I made to my running while pregnant. First one is now 16...hard to believe.

Stay hydrated!

keeponrunning

No personal experience, but my second cousin ran a half marathon all-out in the first trimester.  She didn't know she was pregnant until after the race!

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

Dream Maker

Thanks! 

I'm gonna go ahead and do it, very easily, unless my doctor says nay.

jerseyrunner

Half Fanatic 12680

You might be interested in this article that suggests that “a mother’s physical activity during pregnancy likely affects the physical activity of her offspring.” http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2016/04/06/are-we-born-to-run/

So you could be doing something good for your baby by continuing to run during pregnancy. Back in 1982, during my first pregnancy, there was no research available on effects of running on pregnancy so I stopped after the first trimester and took up swimming for exercise. Now I wish I had kept it up, in moderation, as long as possible since all the research now indicates that it does no harm and may have some benefits.