Flat foot plant (Read 1052 times)

Wingz

Professional Noob

Go get 'em, Gregg! Big grin

Roads were made for journeys...

Thanks!! I feel great!!!

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

Hot a VERY muggy here!! So muggy that I must use my wippers on my truck when I drive. And NO it is not drizzle! 71 F humidity 94% dew point 72 F And yet I had my best run this morning since I started a short time ago. No power walking any part of my mile run this time out and I had my best time yet 11:47. I feel good, some soreness in my legs around my left knee, but it is just sore NOT pain, so I am assuming that is a good thing.

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

Wingz

Professional Noob

Some days I find myself pulling on my flippers and going out for a swim... I mean run... Roll eyes Smile Yep.

Planned on getting up early and doing it again this morning but it was hotter earlier and the humidity was 100% Just picking a pound of cherry tomatoes sucked the enegry right out of me. Been drinking so much water I slosh. But a diabetic that is dried out has higher BG and that ain't good!!! I run to LOWER my BG not send it through the roof!! So I guess today is a cross training day on hte Nordic Trac with the air on full blast!!

vicentefrijole

Planned on getting up early and doing it again this morning but it was hotter earlier and the humidity was 100% Just picking a pound of cherry tomatoes sucked the enegry right out of me. Been drinking so much water I slosh. But a diabetic that is dried out has higher BG and that ain't good!!! I run to LOWER my BG not send it through the roof!! So I guess today is a cross training day on hte Nordic Trac with the air on full blast!!
              AC sounds like a good plan. I ran 10 miles the other day on the treadmill (which I really try to avoid) because I didn't get up early enough to stay out of the sun. What's BG? A pound of cherry tomatoes? Are you a gardener? I don't have a yard Cry but I'm growing cherry tomatoes, peppers, basil, and some other herbs on my rooftop. Coming a long pretty well, though it's taking a lot of watering.
                AC sounds like a good plan. I ran 10 miles the other day on the treadmill (which I really try to avoid) because I didn't get up early enough to stay out of the sun. What's BG? A pound of cherry tomatoes? Are you a gardener? I don't have a yard Cry but I'm growing cherry tomatoes, peppers, basil, and some other herbs on my rooftop. Coming a long pretty well, though it's taking a lot of watering.
                BG is Blood Glucose or blood sugar. I am the 10th in my line in 4 generations to have Type 2 Diabetes. Just God getting my attention. I was no taking care of myself and was a mess. Still over weight and need to drop another 40 lbs, but I am no longer on blood pressure med nor taking meds for acid reflux and so far no diabetic meds. Diet and exersize. Doc calls me his poster boy for what can be done if you really want to!! Just tomatoes this year oh and some potatos. Most years green beans, cukes several mellons and corn. I have 10 acres, about half in woods so the rest I try and grow things. Had a tree trimmer dump 14 loads of shredded trees to compost down. Should see the steam come off that pile in winter. Bet it is a 160 dgrees in the center. When it cools the worms take over which are great for bass fishing!! I also have a 0.6 acre farm pond, but I need to hire some one to dig it out as with all ponds they slowly fill in and this one is now only about 5 feet deep

NetSapiens

.... Running message boards are filled with the psychobabble of runners with 2 weeks more experience than other runners doling out advice on the latest and greatest "methods" of running; chi running, the pose method, yada, yada. There is an entire industry churning out books, articles, DVDs, giving seminars and charging money for online advice to capitalize on people's insecurity and tendency to over think this most basic of activities. Ignore it all. You know how to run--this is absolutely the simplest sport on earth. The most important thing is to be able to manage the little aches, pains, bad days and setbacks that you will inevitably encounter as you are getting started and to get past those so that running can become a habit--something you do without even thinking about it and something you can't live without.
                  I just thought I'd chime in with a small comment here: Firstly I'd like to say that I've NEVER been able to run.. a single mile into a run, and my shins would bring me so much pain that I could barely walk back home. It has always been like that for me, even ten years ago when I was in the Air force, and we had to do runs as part of our exercise. A friend noted that there was a running method called Pose Method, which I tried, and failed at.. miserably.... couldn't even run a lap on a track. We then found another "method" called Chi Running, which has helped my running trememdously.I now do 3-5 miles, 3 days a week which is by far the most I have ever run in my life. And I do this without any form of discomfort. Now, please understand that I am not advocating Chi Running at all. It is probably not for all, and people who have a "set" understanding of their running style, might end up worse for wear What I AM recommending however, is that maybe you could benefit from at least taking a look at different methodologies, to improve your own style, before disregarding them. And not necessarily running only. Yoga could probably do wonders for your posture, breathing and flexibility, all of which could in turn help your running. And finally, whatever you do, learn to listen to your body. This has for me, been more difficult than I ever expected. To be able to listen, feel and understand all the signals coming from all bodyparts, simultaneously, and at the same time being able to work at them, to change what may be ailing me at that specific time.. that has taken a lot of practice.
                  Wingz

Professional Noob

I agree! If something's not working for you, then it only makes sense to try something else! And then something else! And keep experimenting until you find something that works with your body, your mind, and your style. Hats off to you, NetSapiens, for keeping on trying until you found your way!

Net, I agree. I learned early on with the diabetes that there is no "one size fits all" approach. I can eat things with little effect on my BG levels that some other diabetic even looks at and they are get 250 reading. I see no reason why running would be any different.

vicentefrijole

Just tomatoes this year oh and some potatos. Most years green beans, cukes several mellons and corn. I have 10 acres, about half in woods so the rest I try and grow things. Had a tree trimmer dump 14 loads of shredded trees to compost down. Should see the steam come off that pile in winter. Bet it is a 160 dgrees in the center. When it cools the worms take over which are great for bass fishing!! I also have a 0.6 acre farm pond, but I need to hire some one to dig it out as with all ponds they slowly fill in and this one is now only about 5 feet deep
                        Sounds like a slice of heaven! Big grin
                          It is! Until we have weather like this morning!! 75 F @ 3:50 AM 100% humidity and heavy fog and you must cut the loser field. Or it is Jan and the temp is 21 BELOW and 30 inches of fresh snow. BTW did I mention the driveway is 700 feet long? My late father in law and I with the help of a renter cleared that drive of 21 TONS of snow by hand ONCE several winters ago. NEVER EVER AGAIN!!!!! If I ever move that much stuff again it better be river bottom through a slucie box so I can at least get teh gold in hte end. I have a tractor now with a font end loader. MUCH EASIER. Still I DON'T miss living in The People's Scoialist Republic of Kaliforina

I thought I put in a last word on this. No more knee pain in either leg, they just get tired and to hell with heal toe (My Air Force TI would kill me for that) I land mid foot on my right and a little further back on my left and feel fine. I was over thinking and worried about injuries. To newer runners, just get some good running shoes and run AND DON'T listen to that plop sound you may hear now and again! Means nothing!! Just enjoy the run

I've always heard that shin splints/shin pains were the result of muscle imbalance, not stride. (Could be both?). For people having shin pain, I think exercises to strengthen those muscles could help you. An easy one is to lay on your stomach on your bed. Slide down so that your feet just hang off the edge of the matress. Using the matress as resistence, flex your foot (bring it towards your shin). Reps of this exercise have helped me in the past -- I usually hold the flexed position for 10 or so seconds.