What's best for rehydration after running? (Read 594 times)

Cool Jump Suit

I really like unsweetened iced tea after a run.  It was weird tonight though, of course it was super hot and I didn't have anything for the 5 mile run, but just smelling the water from people's sprinklers felt like it was satisfying my thirst.  Bizarre??

So bittersweet,
    This tragedy
    Won't ask for absolution;
    This melody,
    Inside of me,
    Still searches for solution.
    A twist of faith,
    A change of heart
    Cures my infatuation.
    A broken heart, 
    Provides the spark
    For my determination.

montag

Super Pro Lurker

If you had ever tried it you would not have chosen it. Stagnant pond water would be better than Ultima. That and Heed are the only things I have ever spat out at an aid station.

Awww. Sad The video game nerd in me was hoping it'd be more like an "Extreme Magic Attack"! Now at least I know not to buy it though Smile

I started drinking Zico Chocolate Coconut water while training for my first 50K after every long training run.  It worked great for me.

I can't believe nobody has voted for coke, or for (theoretically...not that I would ever try this Joking) the smug organic version of it. I hear it's great after a long run,especially if Gatorade etc give you a stomach ache and you'relactose intolerant so omgchocolatemilk is out...

Ok fine I admit it. I vote for smug organic sugar water.

Hoban-Jay

Water...or anything that's 99% water...

If however, you mean 'recovery' as opposed rehydration, then adding simple sugars and/or some protein to the mix...dependent upon the length and intensity of the run might be in order as well.

A Saucy Wench

Shower beer is an entitiy separate from regular beer.  Just sayin'

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

i like grapes, the purple ones.  as a matter of fact just got back from a run & we have grapes. think will go get me some (along with some water & accelerade)

A Saucy Wench

watermelon is good too

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Thus is demonstrated the ineffectiveness of the poll format.

No more marathons

Crap! I forgot IV, the quickest way to rehydration after a marathon.

This ^.  Two liters of saline thru an IV drip after the Quebec marathon left me feeling fully refreshed.  Really!  Big grin

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

This ^.  Two liters of saline thru an IV drip after the Quebec marathon left me feeling fully refreshed.  Really!  Big grin

That would be an outstanding accessory for a Camelback!

montag

Super Pro Lurker

watermelon is good too

Oh I want to change my vote to this ^

No more marathons

Quote from still bluesky on 7/19/2013 at 3:38 PM:

That would be an outstanding accessory for a Camelback!

Believe me, I've been trying to think of a way to do that.  I went from nearly dead to fully rejuvenated - My recovery after that marathon was faster than any other.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

I chose Gatorade.  Ordinarily I just drink water but after particularly hot weather or very hard workouts, I really feel better after a Gatorade. I got a little heat exhaustion a few weeks ago and was really sick, and felt like Gatorade and Pedialyte helped me recover faster. I have zero scientific data to support this--I can only speak from how I felt!

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

I voted for beer...but two weeks ago after bringing my daughter to her first HS XC practice and meeting the coach i went on a 10 mile fast run (for me) in the florida heat. I was pretty well spent after. While waiting for DD to emerge from the weight training portion of the practice, I  decided I needed something other than water to replace what I had lost on the run, and I needed it now, so I headed to the nearest convenience store with competing visions of beer and arizona iced tea in my mind. I get to the coolers and I see a 24 oz  hard iced tea (alcohol). Perfect!  I grabbed it and started slugging that bad boy down on the way back to school and, never having had one before, I get out of the car to speak with the coach again and it was all I could do to keep from falling over. Bad first (day) impression. Then the caffeine kept me up 3 hours past my bedtime. Whoops.