Gardening Question? (Read 86 times)

jojo61397

This weird, I know.  My husband is deploying.  I thought growing a garden would be fun for the kids and I, plus fresh fruits/vegis- yummy.  Here's my issue- 2 dogs (1 eats my garden), and crappy soil (I live on a beach, so it's sandy and not great for vegetables.  I'm doing an elevated container garden.  What fruits/vegetables work well in containers?

Jodi

PR:

Half: 1:48 (March 3rd, 2013)

Full: 4:05:40 (March 17th, 2013)

2013/2014 Goals:

Sub-4:00 hour Marathon

Sub- 125 pounds
    Sub- 1:45 hour half.

Feeling the growl again

You are getting a head start on our annual gardening thread.

Your best bet, as you've figured out, is to bring in soil.  Whether you want to fill a bed (large volume) or use containers, both should work.  Containers should lessen the watering need.

I've seen tomatoes do well in small pots if they are kept watered.  Herbs as well.  You could also try bush cucumbers and pole beans.  We once kept a jalapeno plant dug from the garden alive in a dark basement over the winter with a grow lamp.   We took it outside the next year and it produced more peppers.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Village people

Peppers, tomatoes, I have a pot for herbs on my deck. It does well. One year, I did a pizza garden with my daughter. She liked it.

have fun!

jojo61397

Thanks.  I live in FL, and this is the best time to plant-- not so hot, but above freezing...

I have green peppers, tomatoes, and strawberries.  I have two windows for planters (herbs).  Two larger containers for carrots and green beans.

Jodi

PR:

Half: 1:48 (March 3rd, 2013)

Full: 4:05:40 (March 17th, 2013)

2013/2014 Goals:

Sub-4:00 hour Marathon

Sub- 125 pounds
          Sub- 1:45 hour half.

Prince of Fatness

You are getting a head start on our annual gardening thread.

I started a gardening thread for this year.  It's not too early.

RE: the OP's question, as spaniel said keep your plants watered.  That would probably be your greatest challenge.

Not at it at all. 

... pots ... Herbs ... dark basement ... grow lamp.

If the web keyword monitoring system is working properly, then cue ATF raid team in 3 ... 2 ... 1 ...

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

If the web keyword monitoring system is working properly, then cue ATF raid team in 3 ... 2 ... 1 ...

Nothing remotely useful to contribute but this made me laugh.

4/14/24 Napa Valley 50k, Calistoga, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Let me add spinach is crazy easy to grow in a container. Mine goes in a raised bed (and will again if this darned winter ever ends). I harvest right off the plants at mealtime and still end up with more than I can use.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Jnfr Jogs

I bet your kids would get a kick out of the Topsy Turvy hanging planter for tomatoes - I grew red bell peppers in mine last year, and I was going to try burpless cucumbers this year.  You really have to water it twice a day, though.  It doesn't hold enough dirt to stay hydrated.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

We've had good success with tomatoes and bell peppers in pots, not so much in the Topsy Turvy (dries out too quickly because the water tends to sink to the bottom of the container, leaving the deep roots on top to dry out).

Strawberries also work great, asparagus, and onions, and of course, all kinds of herbs. If you grow basil, thyme and oregano, you've got some of the more expensive herbs always fresh at hand and can even save some money. Sage grows well in almost any soil, too.

Run for fun.