To GPS or not to GPS... (Read 1560 times)

Runners run

Lazy idiot

"I like racing, too... on the side."

"Oh, yeah?  When's the last time you did it?"

Tick tock

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I ride bikes because zombies can't.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

I'm more of a free spirit Garminer.

Stacks

Why isn't that Columbia guy wearing a seatbelt?

Two Three reasons that I personally wear a Garmin:

a)  I really suck at estimating pace by feel.  Everything feels more difficult at the beginning of a run, and feels too easy while cruising at the end of a run.  A glance at the wrist keeps me honest with my training goal.

b)  Seeing my progress in my training log is added motivation for me.  Garmin facilitates this record keeping.

c)  I love running.  I love gadgets.  It's a perfect match...

Two Three reasons that I personally wear a Garmin:

a)  I really suck at estimating pace by feel.  Everything feels more difficult at the beginning of a run, and feels too easy while cruising at the end of a run.  A glance at the wrist keeps me honest with my training goal.

b)  Seeing my progress in my training log is added motivation for me.  Garmin facilitates this record keeping.

c)  I love running.  I love gadgets.  It's a perfect match...

+1 or +3 ...whatever, I am in the rear with the gear. Smile

2017 Goals
                1) Run more than 231 miles
                2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I ride bikes because zombies can't.

Evil

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I wear a (non-Garmin) GPS because I want to.  I wear headphones because I want to.  I use hiking poles in hilly races sometimes... because... you guessed it... I want to.  I run in a way that makes me happy, which is the entire reason I run.  

I really don't care what other people think.  I gave up caring about other people's opinions on such matters a long time ago.  Smile  

Zortrium

I probably qualify as one of those obsessive GPS wearers that hates going out without my Garmin, but in my case it's mostly just because I like poring over the data afterwards.  During the actual run I rarely pay the watch any attention, except to maybe glance at my HR once in awhile.

Scout7

I probably qualify as one of those obsessive GPS wearers that hates going out without my Garmin, but in my case it's mostly just because I like poring over the data afterwards.  During the actual run I rarely pay the watch any attention, except to maybe glance at my HR once in awhile.

Just out of curiosity, when you pore over the data, do you do anything afterward?  In other words, are you using that data to drive your future training and racing?  If so, how?

Honest questions.

Black-Toe-Nailed

Right.

And specially in such a individualistic sport as running. There shouldn't be actually place for a discussion as whatever you prefer is just a personal option and at the end of the day what matters is to the performance or just to have plain fun.

I wouldn't imagine in which way being an 'insecure' runner would have an influence on your pace or finishing times. 

I myself am a control freak and for me checking the pace, the times, making maps, planning the training etc is just part of the fun. 

--

"If one can stick to the training throughout the many long years,
                          then will power is no longer a problem. It's raining? That doesn't matter.
                          I am tired? That's besides the point. It's simply that I just have to."

Emil Zatopek

Stacks

See, I am almost the opposite.  I find that having the info fed to me on the run helps me pass the time.  

Feeling the growl again

Eh.  It's a tool.

It's great for keeping me from running too hard on easy days, and for allowing me to do measured workouts in new or unusual places.  It saves gas from driving routes to measure them (the old school way).  If I forget it...eh...I run anways and estimate it from time and feel.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Zortrium

Just out of curiosity, when you pore over the data, do you do anything afterward?  In other words, are you using that data to drive your future training and racing?  If so, how?

Honest questions.

Not anything too specific -- the data gives me an idea of how things are going without having done much racing (e.g., my pace at HR X is better than three months ago).  Day to day I'm mostly just going by feel rather than what the data tells me.  Maybe I'll use it in a more concrete way in the future, but I'm still at the stage where I'm improving just by logging miles without worrying too much about the specifics of what I'm doing.

I also like being able to browse old runs just for enjoyment and I imagine I won't mind having it years down the line.  Kind of like a time capsule of running.  Basically it's just another aspect of running I find rewarding for its own sake, even if it doesn't strongly affect my future running.

It's interesting considering how new GPS watches are, though.  I sometimes wonder if I'd have gotten as into running 20 years ago before Garmins were available.  I'm not sure if I would have.