1600/3200 Track shape (Read 384 times)

SkylineTrack

Gotten a couple of good workouts in the last 2 weeks.

Last week was a 3x1600 with 2 minutes rest in

5:27

5:21

5:17

This week was 5x1000 with 90 seconds rest in

3:18.9

3:19.4

3:18.0

3:17.7

3:17.1

My legs were a little tired leading into both workouts but mentally it felt great. I've got a 5k coming up this Saturday and am planning on shooting for ~16:30. Not going to taper or back off in volume leading up to it though

Just a dude.

If it's a pretty fast course, you probably have a decent shot at it. You have impressed me with your ability to not go out too fast and to run evenish splits. I'm sure you will continue to do well with that.

Do you make your own training schedules? Does this come from your coach? Do you have teammates you run with?

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

Very nice workouts! Looks like you are ready.

16:30.. that's a goal worth sharing.

My legs were a little tired leading into both workouts but mentally it felt great. I've got a 5k coming up this Saturday and am planning on shooting for ~16:30. Not going to taper or back off in volume leading up to it though

And we run because we like it
        Through the broad bright land

SkylineTrack

If it's a pretty fast course, you probably have a decent shot at it. You have impressed me with your ability to not go out too fast and to run evenish splits. I'm sure you will continue to do well with that.

Do you make your own training schedules? Does this come from your coach? Do you have teammates you run with?

-Kelly

Thanks! Right now I've just been coming up with a rough outline of a training schedule about every month or so now that I'm starting to do some intervals and such. And also currently I'm doing almost all of my runs, especially the harder or longer ones, by myself. I'm planning on making another attempt to walk-on to USU's xc team next year, and if possible maybe try for the track team in the spring.

Just a dude.

Thanks! Right now I've just been coming up with a rough outline of a training schedule about every month or so now that I'm starting to do some intervals and such. And also currently I'm doing almost all of my runs, especially the harder or longer ones, by myself. I'm planning on making another attempt to walk-on to USU's xc team next year, and if possible maybe try for the track team in the spring.

Ah, so will this 5k be a road race somewhere then? Can you run in college meets as an unattached runner?

Also, I looked at your log. Looks like you had a consistent summer and are just starting quality workouts now. I would perhaps look at is doing some stride work or short hill sprints. Maybe once a week or so. Maybe also consider doing one of your interval workouts on a hill. It can help with both strength and form.

Keep at it though... Things seem to be working...

-Kelly

Feeling the growl again

Can you run in college meets as an unattached runner?

+1.  I did that all the time post-college.  In the case of the OP, it's a good way to gain experience with the competition (if successful walking on) and also a good way to get in front of the coach for the team you want to walk on to.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

SkylineTrack

+1.  I did that all the time post-college.  In the case of the OP, it's a good way to gain experience with the competition (if successful walking on) and also a good way to get in front of the coach for the team you want to walk on to.

I don't believe USU has anymore home meets for the xc season, but if I can I'll definitely  run at their indoor? and outdoor home meets. It'll be a good way to gauge how well I'm closing the gap, was ~80 seconds back of their main #2-7 pack at their xc meet.

SkylineTrack

The race this morning went really well. It started pretty early at 7:30 and the weather was great, nice and cool with no wind. My watch watch was a little long on the measurement (Course was 5k, watch was long), so the splits were a little off. The splits plus ~3 seconds since the watch had 10 extra were around:

5:10.1

5:27.1

5:25.3

For a 16:36.6

Went out a little fast, and the second mile and first half of the third had occasional hills that weren't killer but noticeable. Third also had a steeper downhill with 600 to go that dropped it back to the start/finish. Ran the whole thing in the lead and won by about 3 minutes, had a guy on a bike leading the course though which really helped to keep me from backing off too much after the first mile.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Nice going, Skyline!

SkylineTrack

Thanks!

Just a dude.

Wow... Nice run as a total solo effort.

I did some looking and you are right. Doesn't seem to be another college meet anywhere in Utah this fall at any level. Crazy. You'd have a pretty long drive ahead of you to catch a college meet anywhere it appears.

Are you currently targetting Indoor season with your training?

-Kelly

SkylineTrack

As of right now I'm thinking I'll do a couple more road races and then a short break before focusing on the Salt Lake Winter Series 5k 10k and 15k in January and February and hopefully some spring races. The SLC series looks like it has plenty of competition around the

15:30-17:00 range. If there's any usu hosted meets I'll probably jump into them.

Sounds great. Get that first mile dialed in and it will shave plenty of time off.

As of right now I'm thinking I'll do a couple more road races and then a short break before focusing on the Salt Lake Winter Series 5k 10k and 15k in January and February and hopefully some spring races. The SLC series looks like it has plenty of competition around the

15:30-17:00 range. If there's any usu hosted meets I'll probably jump into them.

And we run because we like it
                            Through the broad bright land

SkylineTrack

It's been awhile since I've posted and I haven't run a really serious 5k since the 16:37 but the USU track team tryouts are on December 3rd and if I run around 9 flat for 3k I have a good shot at making the team. So for the past ~month me and another guy trying out have been doing workouts that the distance coach gave us. So far we've done:

5x800 avg 2:29 w/ 2:30 rest. supposed to be 6 but we were both hurting pretty bad

3.5 (20 min) tempo at 5:48 pace

12x400 avg 73.1 w/ 50 rest. Started at 72's and faded to 74's by the end

Fartlek of 2x 1-2-3-4 with 1 min recoveries varying from 5:25-5:40 pace. Probably 8 min pace for recoveries

8x1004m (200.8 m indoor track) in ~ 3:30 avg. After the 5th one I changed the workout from 1 to 2 minutes rest.

And then this week was:

4x400 @ 77 75 75 76. 50s rest

5:00 min jogging

4x400 @ 71 72 73 71. 50s rest

6:00 jog/walking

4x400 @ 68 69 34-stopped 72 (34-38)

Same indoor track

Fartlek type workout of

10 min warm up

10 hard ~6:00

10 easy ~7:30

10 hard

10 easy

10 hard

10 cool down

I've dropped my mileage to between 40-50 a week to try to avoid getting burnt out like I did during track. I don't know that I'm quite in 9:00 shape yet but I'll give it a shot in 2 weeks! Also having a training partner has really helped with the workouts, especially tough ones like the 8x1k where I wanted to give up halfway through.

Just a dude.

Those sound like some pretty good and tough workouts.

The times that you are targeting, are those given to you by the coach? Are those supposed to be target times for a 9:00 min 3k or are those times based on your 16:37 5k?

I agree that a partner can really help!

Keep at it!

-Kelly