>Running 101>A great book, new goals
Roads were made for journeys...
* What is your goal/purpose for the 365 days of running idea? What's the primary objective? Is it to do it just to say that you did it? Or is the main goal to be the best runner you can be a year from today?
* Same question for the marathon-a-month idea: is it for the challenge itself? Or is your main goal to maximize your marathon training? What's more important - the 12 marathons ... or the fastest PR in the marathon?
* Since you remind me of me (sorry - no offense ) and I'm a charter member of the "all or nothing" club, here's the question I gotta ask: if you try the 365 days of running thing, what will you do if you miss a day? How will that impact your training, your motivation, etc? Ditto with the marathons - what will you do/feel if you miss one of your 12 in a row?
* How fast/hard do you plan on running each marathon?
* How hard/far do you plan on doing the daily runs? And what exactly is the purpose of the 2-mile minimum?
Personally, my advice would vary wildly depending on how you answer the above.
Bonus question: Ever seen the Costner golf movie "Tin Cup?" (If you've seen it - and liked it - you probably already know why I'm asking)
You'll ruin your knees!
""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)
my answer is for the hell of it - to say that I can do it. Most folks I know wonder why I would try to run a marathon not alone run everyday for a year. That's what is driving me to keep them guessing. I suppose to even keep me guessing.
Conventional wisdom tells you to rest after your long runs, speed work, etc. Then again, I wonder if Karnazes and others would have broke the testosterone threshold had they listened to conventional wisdom.
As to the question of racing - trying to get better, my answer is I just want to become able to run long distances. I want to run the Western States in 2008. I want to teach my kids that you can achieve whatever you set your mind to - no matter how crazy at times it sounds.
Eric/Jake, December 2 is the lottery, results wil be posted by the end of the day. No big deal, if you miss the lotto 3 years in a row, you are automatically in the 4th. If I don't get in 2007, I'll find another great destination race to run in June/July...
gimme some sugar, baby
© 2013 RunningAHEAD, LLC. All rights reserved.
| Terms of Service