Does running make you a "weather junkie?" (Read 806 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I never understood my hubby's fascination with weather until I started running. Now I am clicking on NOAA and weather.com several times/day, particularly on days I run. I love weather.com's hourly forecasts...on the weekends I have been planning my afternoon runs around whatever window looks to be the most favorable in terms of temp, winds, and precip. Am I alone in my neurosis with weather? k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

nope not alone. Dh and I are the same way. I find that I can get up and the tv will be turned on and will have the local weather allready on it ( thanks to direct tv) and my computer allready at noaa.gov. Dh even has certain zipcodes that he or I will be at programmed into the tv (like Naples, Florida) so we can schedule our runs in advance.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

weather.com hourly forecast is my good friend. Today I am going to be running in the early afternoon (mornig forecast was way too cold). Ewa
        I would rather wear out than rust out. - Helen Klein You create your own universe as you go along. - Winston Churchill
          I used to be a weather junkie when I lived in my homeland of Canada - definitely a necessity to know what was going to happen, but...I moved to Southern California and I have to say it's really not an issue anymore. In winter, it's gonna be chilly in the morning, and sunny in the afternoon. In summer, it's gonna be hot in the morning, and really f-ing hot in the afternoon. 'nuff said! Cool
          1000 mile club. "Pain is just the weakness leaking out."

Dog-Love

That's what I love about Juneau...this time of year it either gorgeous and snowy or 34 degrees and raining sideways. We have learned that if you wait for good weather you will never get outside.
            Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
              I'm in Anchorage. The temperature doesn't vary much during the day. I wait for any kind of daylight, temps around 10, and streets fairly clear of snow. Just those conditions are enough to really limit my outdoor runs. Kinda explains why I ended up running in a parking lot on Christmas Day Roll eyes That's OK - we have the most amazing summers up here - most of the time!!!

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
              Thyroid Support Group

Am I alone in my neurosis with weather?k
                How funny! Big grin I just sat down with weather.com and my weekly training schedule to plan out what days I was doing what. NO, you are NOT alone in your neurosis! Embarrassed I don't have a treadmill so if I run I run outside. So the weather even dictates what days at work I plan on skipping out early if nice and working long if horrid to get my running in. Blush

"Nothing's better than the wind to your back, the sun in front of you, and your friends beside you." Aaron Douglas Trimble

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

How funny! Big grin I just sat down with weather.com and my weekly training schedule to plan out what days I was doing what. NO, you are NOT alone in your neurosis! Embarrassed I don't have a treadmill so if I run I run outside. So the weather even dictates what days at work I plan on skipping out early if nice and working long if horrid to get my running in. Blush
                  Yep. I work out a rough plan at the beginning of each month for my runs...but I keep it flexible for weather. If a day I had planned to run is going to be nasty, then I will try to move it to a day before or after. k

~ Sarah Kay

LydiaT

I have the forecast in my google toolbar. I plan my rest day around rain/snow/sleet/hail. But if the weather is bad and I want to run, I run anyway. I've run in snow storms. I once was so close to getting run over by a plow. I've run in tropical storms, freezing rain, and those hot humid and nasty days. I don't think I've ever regretted getting out there but I've definitely regretted missing a run when the weather turned out not to be so bad.
                      I'm always checking the weather on the "environment canada" website before heading out. I specially like their local animated radar pictures. It makes it easy to predict when there is going to be break on a rainy day. I don't mind running in the rain as long as I don't start my run in the rain. I rarely have to because it very rarely rains non-stop all day. - R
                      cnlifeasitis

I have uk.weather.com handily bookmarked in my Firefox toolbar. Incredibly invaluable as it helps me prepare for the next morning in terms of what to expect and if I need to put on an extra layer or windbreaker on. Plus, I usually try and start my run between 5.30 - 6.00 in the morning, but if I notice that I can expect rain before 7.00, I wont bother getting up until then Big grin Very nice I probably rely on it a bit too much mind. There been times that I was planning on going for a rideout with some motorbiking friends, but if it suspiciously looks like rain is on the way whilst Im riding, I wont bother going lol Not that I dont like riding in the rain, I just want to avoid it or plan around it where I can.
                        If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you have always got
                        snooz_bar

Check out weatherbonk.com its pretty neat.
                          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Check out weatherbonk.com its pretty neat.
                            That IS neat! Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

Riding my motorcycle to work all Summer long made me more of a weather junkie than running ever would. Nothing like having to stay late at work because you really don't want to ride home in the rain. Blech. Of course, if it's 4:30 and the rain is about to come in... Gotta 'beat the rain,' time to go home! To me, once I know the general temperatures for the week, it's the precipitation that matters most. I end up checking the weather radar maps pretty much compulsively. To that end, I've found the free widget at this site to be very helpful: http://www.dividedsoul.net/RadarInMotion He provides widgets for users of both Apple's Dashboard and Yahoo's Widget Engine. Basically, it's a weather radar screen that sits on your desktop and gets automatically updated. You pick which particular weather map you're interested in, from either weather.com or NOAA. Very nice tool. Also, the URLs for the weather.com radar maps don't change. If you know some simple HTML, you can make your own page for them and get all the maps at once and avoid the ads. Loads MUCH faster that way. My example here: http://www.burnettsonline.org/weather Enjoy! Josh

2011 Goals:
                              sub 17min 5k
                              5:15 mile?
                              (well, maybe next year)