2015 NYC Marathon Thread (Read 376 times)

ultramarathon/triathlete

I still haven't decided baggage/no baggage.  Can't decide how much I want that poncho.  But, I've booked my hotel already.  (W00t!)

Do you have one of the ponchos yet? They're nice. It's worth it for the poncho. I have two and this year will be my third, that's overkill. They're not THAT nice. But I don't really see the need for the baggage option anymore. I like not having to rush over to the trucks to drop it off, and wait even longer at the end to get my stuff. Regardless of the weather, one should be able to make it without the baggage, generally speaking. Throw away clothes, tall kitchen garbage bag, etc. Carry your phone/cash/metro card in a spi-belt... good to go :-)

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
    Gatorade Endurance Team

therrick3

I was late making my baggage choice a few days ago and the poncho option is no longer available. I am not bringing a bag and would really like one of the ponchos. Could someone easily just walk into the no baggage area after the race ends and get a poncho? It doesn't seem like people would be checking everyone's wrist as they walk in. Has anyone done this or think that I could just stroll in without a wristband and get a poncho? Thanks

Julia1971

Do you have one of the ponchos yet? They're nice. It's worth it for the poncho. I have two and this year will be my third, that's overkill. They're not THAT nice. But I don't really see the need for the baggage option anymore. I like not having to rush over to the trucks to drop it off, and wait even longer at the end to get my stuff. Regardless of the weather, one should be able to make it without the baggage, generally speaking. Throw away clothes, tall kitchen garbage bag, etc. Carry your phone/cash/metro card in a spi-belt... good to go :-)

Interesting.  So now, they're going to force people to check a bag exit through no baggage?  (Edited because it dawned on me you don't have to check a bag.  You just won't be able to exit with the no baggage crowd).  My, how things have changed.  Smile  I suspect the comments on their Facebook page are about to get interesting...

I'm getting more and more used to having less "stuff" with me on race day, so I'm fine either way.  I just like having the option for post-race clothes in case the weather is bad.

I went no baggage last year, so I do have a poncho.

I was late making my baggage choice a few days ago and the poncho option is no longer available. I am not bringing a bag and would really like one of the ponchos. Could someone easily just walk into the no baggage area after the race ends and get a poncho? It doesn't seem like people would be checking everyone's wrist as they walk in. Has anyone done this or think that I could just stroll in without a wristband and get a poncho? Thanks

If it's like last year, they absolutely check for wrist bands.  Several times, in fact, during your long march.  You will not be able to get into the no-baggage area without a no-baggage wrist band.

IMHO, the difference is negligible.  Unless you really want the poncho, there's really no difference between checking your bag and not.  You have to get to Staten Island so early that you have plenty of time to check your bag.  (Says the woman who got to her corral with minutes to spare last year. Smile )

therrick3

Thank you for the replies. I guess my plan of walking alongside everyone else who has a wristband probably wouldn't work then. I called the help phone number today and they confirmed that the poncho option is closed and even if people change their baggage choice they will not be reopening it. Not too big of a deal but if they're giving out a free poncho I'd like a soveigner and to save a few minutes after the race too (maybe I'll try to find someone at the expo to switch me).

The other issue with me waiting so long to make my choices is that the latest ferry remaining was 5:45. I've heard that your assigned ferry time doesn't matter and that you can get on any ferry because no one is checking (unlike wristbands). Could someone confirm that? Thanks!

ultramarathon/triathlete

I'm 99% sure you're correct about the ferry, for the simple reason that the NYRR has nothing to do with the SI ferry (different organizations) and the ferry is free to everyone. So, you should be able to show up whenever you want and catch one. I think NYRR assigns people a ferry time to help manage the crowds but I don't think it's anything official.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
            Gatorade Endurance Team

Julia1971

Weird...  I wasn't going to select a baggage option since, last I checked, my only option was baggage.  Poncho had "sold out".  But, since I'm a rule follower and thought maybe there's some negative consequence for not making a selection at all, I logged on today to make my "choice".  To my surprise, poncho was an option.  So, if you're like me and thought poncho wasn't an option, log on to see if it's there.

Weird...  I wasn't going to select a baggage option since, last I checked, my only option was baggage.  Poncho had "sold out".  But, since I'm a rule follower and thought maybe there's some negative consequence for not making a selection at all, I logged on today to make my "choice".  To my surprise, poncho was an option.  So, if you're like me and thought poncho wasn't an option, log on to see if it's there.

Thanks for the tip! Just made the switch.

Julia1971

Thanks for the tip! Just made the switch.

You're welcome!  I'm glad I checked.  I chose poncho.  I'm predicting excellent weather since I'm not running the race for time.  Wink

ultramarathon/triathlete

Is anyone doing any of the NYRR prep runs leading up to the marathon this year? I'm a pace leader for the 18 miler on Sept 20th. I'll be leading the 8:34 pace group (which translates into 3:45 marathon finish time). So if anyone is doing the 18 mile tune up and wants to run that pace, you're with me!

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                    Gatorade Endurance Team

Julia1971

Question for those who've brought luggage to the expos: How much of a hassle was it?  I realized this week that I only booked my hotel for  two nights - Saturday and Sunday.  Just trying to figure out logistics for arriving in town on Saturday since my hotel check-in time is 3pm.  If I need to drop my large duffle bag at my hotel, I need to factor that in.

It got cold enough that I wore my five borough gloves this week.  Getting pumped for NYCM! 

jerseyrunner

Half Fanatic 12680

Question for those who've brought luggage to the expos: How much of a hassle was it?  I realized this week that I only booked my hotel for  two nights - Saturday and Sunday.  Just trying to figure out logistics for arriving in town on Saturday since my hotel check-in time is 3pm.  If I need to drop my large duffle bag at my hotel, I need to factor that in.

I've never brought luggage to the expo but I remember that you had to go through a security bag check for any bags (like a pocketbook) in 2013. Here is what is posted on the NYRRC website:

Any person entering these venues will be subject to baggage inspection. To speed your access, we strongly recommend that you do not bring a bag. However, you may bring one bag per guest, no larger than the size of a woman's purse. - See more at: http://www.tcsnycmarathon.org/plan-your-race/security-measures#sthash.Do2HROh9.dpuf

Julia1971

I've never brought luggage to the expo but I remember that you had to go through a security bag check for any bags (like a pocketbook) in 2013. A suitcase would be more of a hassle.

That's what I'm guessing. (Sigh.)  I guess I'll go to the hotel first.  Plus, I remember there wasn't a lot of room at the expo so having a big bag might be a pain for getting around.

TJN

S Army Kettle run...

Ok...  So I'm into my 20milers and my wife is all busy putting together her "must see and do" list for us.  Training is going well and we're getting excited!!  I've done marathons before, but obviously nothing as large of an event as this one. .  

Question for the NYC Marathon vets...  Do you have tips or things us NYC Marathon newbies should be arranging for our trip?

Should I be receiving details about my start wave soon?  Are there things you wished you had done during your first NY marathon that you would recommend?

I appreciate any guidance.

Thanks!!

NY Marathon Newbie             

Tim 

jerseyrunner

Half Fanatic 12680

Question for the NYC Marathon vets...  Do you have tips or things us NYC Marathon newbies should be arranging for our trip?

Should I be receiving details about my start wave soon?  Are there things you wished you had done during your first NY marathon that you would recommend?

Here's a link to information for newbies put together by a runner who has run the NYC Marathon since 1978. It covers everything you need to know: http://www.runarweb.com/nycm_advice_e.php

I would just emphasize the need to wear "throw-away" clothes to the start, bring something (waterproof) to sit on, and consider plastic bags on your feet (or an extra pair of shoes) if there has been rain. You will be spending a long time in the "village" before the start and it can be cold!

Julia1971

Ok...  So I'm into my 20milers and my wife is all busy putting together her "must see and do" list for us.  Training is going well and we're getting excited!!  I've done marathons before, but obviously nothing as large of an event as this one. .  

I appreciate any guidance.

Thanks!!

NY Marathon Newbie             

I don't know that I have any tips that aren't general marathon travel tips.  Except, if you think you'd be in to strangers wishing you good luck, put your name on your shirt.  I did this for my first NYCM but not last year.  I think I'm going to do it again this year.  There are some really funny, encouraging people out there.

I think we get our bib and wave/corral assignments the second week in October.  So, you won't have to wait too much longer.

I'm glad you're excited.  NYCM is my favorite marathon.  It's 26.2 miles of pure excitement!