Provo River Half-Marathon (Read 750 times)

First time I’ve run this race, and I’ve heard a number of semi-horror stories about it (dealing primarily with the organization). I didn’t have any problems with the organization until a) the start, and b) the finish. First, it was a beautiful day. Hard-pressed to ask for better weather. Twelve of our Las Vegas running group made the trip up to Provo, Utah, and we all had a great time. We mingled, making sure we hung out near the start (there were chips this year, but no mat at the start). The only way we really knew the race had started was when the race director started driving off in his truck. So, off we went. I won’t bore you with each mile split, but my 3-mile splits were: 1-3: 20:51 4-6: 21:00 7-9: 21:20 10-12: 20:28 (Fastest mile was mile 12, at 6:42; slowest was mile 7, at 7:34 (where you turned into a headwind, with a slight uphill for what seemed a mile. It may have been shorter, but if felt like a mile). The course is gorgeous—probably among the most scenic I’ve run. I will probably do this one again. I crossed the finish line with a time of 1:31:22 (6:48 avg), 45th overall (about 1,550 runners last time I check the results list before leaving), 1st of 26 in my 55-59AG (yes, there are some benefits to getting older). My garmin distance was 13.12, so pretty close (the finish this year, as I understand, was changed from last year). I was surprised at all the stuff they had for the runners at the finish—pancakes, watermelon, cantaloupe, popsicles, smoothies, rock band, etc. Plenty of food and fun for everyone. But, what did I get (re: hardware) for my efforts? Nothing. Not even a McDonald’s hat (which I got at one race this year). Whatever. Again, it was a beautiful day for a run on a great course, and I feel ok about my conditioning as I get ready for the St. George Marathon in Oct. Next race is the Park City Marathon in two weeks.
    My Masters (>50) Race PR's: 5K - 20:17 10K - 42:36 HM - 1:31:22 Marathon - 3:20:48
    btb1490

Congrats on your excellent time and placement! I'll bet it was beautiful there! Loved the sound of the post race festivities! But nothing for winning your AG? That just sounds odd to me! Good luck at Park City and St. George! I'll be in Park City a couple of days after the marathon! Rats! And I tried to get into St. George but didn't make the lottery.
        Y'all are fast! Surprised

Vim

Jeffrey

Congratulations on the strong race. Thanks for the RR. You sound fully prepped for the Park City Marathon. I've visited Park City -- I think mountains, beautiful scenery and up/down slope. I visited the PCM website and their course description sounds awesome.