Base Building - New Runner (Read 871 times)

mom2three

Hi All! I've enjoyed reading a bunch of the posts here! I would like to know a little bit aobut base training building. I have read about "building your base", but I would like some advice from those of you who had to do this. A little bit of a background one me. I am 33 year old mom to three kids, with the youngest being 2.5 yrs old. I am 6' tall and 60lbs overweight. I have PF in my right heel and I'm trying to work through that...it's not a new thing, so I'm not novice on how to treat it. I was doing the Hal Higdon's Spring Training Novice, but the running 3 days in a row is not letting my body recover enough. By week #2 I was a wreck. So I had a family member mention Galloway's book, so I've been reading it. But I know there is alot of controversy about Gallowalking...not what I want to talk about in this post anyhow. So here I am. I just got back from my first real "slow/long" run. 4.74 miles Yay me. It was a terribly slow pace, but I did it! I really don't want to push myself too much until I have more weight off. So I need to build my base slowly with lots of rest inbetween. Finally my question! What would you consider a good "base"? Is there a certain miles per week you should strive for? Then you know you have a good solid base? I want to run a 10K in August. I don't think I'll have much of a problem with that. I'm basically running 9 miles/w at the moment. I do have a HM in on my radar..no date, just the thought. I don't want to train for it unitl my body is ready. Thanks for any advice you could give. I look forward to jumping in more often now that I've foud this cool site!
    Jill

A Saucy Wench

There is likely to be some disagreement here Big grin Your BASE depends on your goals. A lot of base building is getting yourself to the point where you can consistantly run the mileage you need for your program without overly straining or getting injured. For example I dont ramp mileage significantly AND do any speedwork at the same time. So "base building" for me is bringing my mileage up to where it needs to be BEFORE I try any speed. For you base might be getting to the point where you can run those 3 days in a row before tackling a novice program. #1 - deal with injuries. PF is a toughie and does not tend to improve with running #2 - slow down. All of your runs. I cant see your log but if any of your training is feeling too tough, slow it all down. I would lay odds that slowing down is necessary even without looking at your log because it is the # 1 new runner mistake. #3 - whatever you do, be consistant. Get your body used to running. It may need to run shorter and slower. 5 miles might be too much if you cant do back to back days of a shorter distance. Welcome! and if you like, come join us in the "jiggly joggers" weight loss forum

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

mom2three

Alright, thanks for the advice. I have made my log public. I know I have a long time to run, like I said, I'm just beginning. I'm now to the point where I can run/jog/slog/whatever without stopping. Good quesion...my objectives. My objective is what you had mentioned, to have enough of a running base so I can start speedwork/hill work, etc. without getting hurt. At the paces I'm at right now, I'm just going to get hurt at anything other than just slow running. And if you look at my pace for my long slow run today. I think it's pretty slow. It felt great to be albe to finish though! I don't want to enter a 1/2 marathon to "finish", nor do I really wan to "win". I just want to do my best with good training.
        Jill
        mom2three

Okay, another thought. I did Week #1 of Hal's Spring Training and that is three days in a row of running with no problems (with 4 days a week running total). Then I ran a 5K race...way too fast for me on that Saturday. Then Sunday I went on a long (2hr) uphill hike with my daughter the next day. I am finding that my legs/hips/feet really hurt the day after a hike. I wonder if my lame feeling week this week (week #2) was just because I didnt allow for more rest after my race...hiking, then trying to run 3 days in a row again a recipie for disaster for this new runner? I did fine the first two days of running, then kind of hit a physical/mental wall. Took 3 days off, then did my run today. Felt fine, feel great, and am still feeling great...with exception of a sore heel (but no more sore than usual). Maybe I should still do the progrm I was on, just slow it down a bit and take other activity (hiking) out of the picture unless it us non-pounding like biking/eliptical/walking, etc.
          Jill

A Saucy Wench

I think the race probably had more of an impact than you would think. OK, so your pace on your shorter runs looks good, but it also looks like you are doing more than the program. I think until you can do the program each week, dont try to extend your runs. You should end every week feeling like you could have done more. If you struggle with a week, repeat that week the next week. If you do a race or a particularly strenuous hike, consider backing up a week. Especially with the chronic PF you want to take it nice and easy. You can do extra walking or non-impact X training if you want more cardio. jmo Smile

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

When I did HHST a while back, I had a similar problem with the 3 days in a row of running. I just moved the Thursday run to Friday, and didn't have any trouble after that. Having a Friday run, Saturday walk, and then long run on Sunday seemed fine. You may have just been tired after the race plus hike, though. I'd give it another shot. Just remember, if something about the program isn't working well for you, feel free to make a few adjustments to make it better. Lorrie
              mom2three

Yeah, you are right. I just wanted to get my milage up to the 9.5m that the program calls for. I just went a touch too far on my run today. I know I had it in me and it's the slowest I've run since I started running all together..and it felt good today. No breathing issues, it was a nice run for once! Dare I say relaxing?? I am also starting to get sore, but the good kind of sore. I love that sore because then I know my body is getting ready for more. I am a past athlete, just not in running. Ennay, thanks for checking my log. It's pretty sparce now, but that will change. Good advice on going back a week after a race..I have another this Saturday. I love the atmosphere! My next race isn't until June 14th so that will give me more time to get through the program further. I'll go ahead with Week #3 as it's a "rest" week. Lorrie, thanks for the idea of splitting up the runs better. Same milage, just running different days. I like the idea of running two days in a row, then spacing the rest out. Better for my body at this point. See there is a reason why I joined this group, you all know your stuff. And I love the log and how others can view it to give you better advice!
                Jill