Help! (Really bad DOMS) (Read 2354 times)

Giant Flaming Dork

Is there any way to get rid of muscle soreness after you do a workout?  I mean like really bad muscle soreness?

I went to the gym that I've been swimming at and I got it in my head that I should do an upper body workout (never done such a thing in my life).  Now I can't bend or flex my arms, and I'm walking around looking like a demented human T-rex.  It's nearly impossible to drive (something I have to do for my job) and now I can't sleep.

I keep looking at the clock wondering when I can take my next dose of ibuprophen.  I've gone through all the ice in my house and it's much too late to go out to the store and get more.  I did some research and someone suggested mineral ice.  Would that really work?  I now finally understand the pain that drove Marcus into his first ice bath...

It's gotten to the point where I'm wondering if I take the maximum amount of both ibuprophen and tylenol at the same time and I die from it, will I end up being one of those CSI victims?  "Well, the toxicology came back and it appears that he had fatal amounts of ibuprophen, tylenol, and Vicks Vap-O-Rub".

My wife is, of course, the bastion of helpfulness.  She can't stop laughing at me.  "You did it to yourself!"  I thought it was funny, too, until I tried to go to sleep.

http://xkcd.com/621/

DirtyGraceFlint

The Crap Whisperer

Biofreeze.

The t-rex visual was a nice touch

Being the best tiny spec that I can be!

Giant Flaming Dork

Thanks!  My wife came up with the T-rex thing and riled up the daughters with it just before bed...

It appears that you can only get this at chiropractors offices.  Is this sold at stores?

Arrogant Bastard....Ale

I always love stories from first time lifters.  Eat lots of protein, it will go away in a day or two.
            You'd have to hire a guy to sit next to you and give you an IV drip of Ibuprofen to get rid of it. Or you could just eat a lot of protein.. it's a natural thing that happens when you first start lifting. Next thing you know you're never sore anymore, but I can vividly remember killing my arms for a few days at a time just to do it over and over again until it went away.. then I knew I had gotten stronger at last. Don't try to beat the soreness with ibuprofen it's probably going to cost you more than it's worth.
            DirtyGraceFlint

The Crap Whisperer

Thanks!  My wife came up with the T-rex thing and riled up the daughters with it just before bed...

It appears that you can only get this at chiropractors offices.  Is this sold at stores?

It reminds me of the t-rex in Meet the Robinson's movie!

I've seen the biofreeze in running stores and my PT's office carries it. It works well but you might need to bathe in it! haha! Hope you get to feeling better soon!

Being the best tiny spec that I can be!

xor

There is an ongoing joke in the Master's area (back from the coolrunning days), wherein they always refer to biofreeze as "boi freeze" because once upon a time, someone fat fingered the word.

And yes, indeedy, if you are a guy and have ever applied biofreeze somewhere, forgot, and then went potty... you have probably experienced the concept of boi freeze.

Giant Flaming Dork

It turns out we had a sample of "Boi freeze" from somewhere... For all her chastising, DW is is good for keeping useful stuff.

So it doesn't tell you that there is a delayed reaction with "boi freeze".  I put it on one area and waited for something to happen and it felt okay, but didn't really feel that cold.  So I applied it everywhere else I was feeling pain, put my shirt back on and went on my merry dinosaur way...

10 minutes later...  I am regretting putting the stuff over the top half of my torso and my arms.   I'm sure that it can't cause hypothermia, but it sure feels like it can.  I can't say that it's giving me any relief, but at least it's taking my mind off of the pain. 

Just deal with it. It's suppose to be that way if you haven't been working out. You used muscles that you forgot you had! Will go away within a week. Don't stop lifting just stretch well before your next scheduled lift.

The shirtless wonder

Stick with lifting and you'll actually have trouble getting sore.  I used to measure the quality of a weight workout based on how sore I was the next day.  Almost every time I wasn't sore at all.  If I took a week or two off and went back in full force I'd be incredibly sore.

this really made me laugh out loud.... :-)   mostly because I have been there and done that on a few occasions... when I was in high school I over did it with biceps 2 days before our first football game of the season.  I was the long snapper on the 9th grade team... and well I couldn't straighten out my arms... and another time I did it on vacation when I hadn't lifted in years...

So I get the t-rex thing... 1.  if they won't straighten out... you got to stretch... and stretch... get them back to where you actually can get your arm straight again...   massage helps too... but mostly it takes a few days... but in my experience... the sooner you can get them stretched out the better... also very very gentle lifting can help get the blood flow going again and it seams to help with the soreness... by gentle lifting I mean 2 lbs... or  like a can of pop...  curls... pull overs... kickbacks... etc...

you might try a warm epsom salt bath too... helps with the stiffness... but you would have to get down in...

A Saucy Wench

gentle exercise helps, any kind of movement

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Giant Flaming Dork

Yeah, its all over now - thankfully.  I tried to take your advice and lift a little, but it was very painful.

After Day 7 I could claim that most of the pain was gone

After Day 10, I could finally lift my arms over my head

After day 14 I finally felt normal again.

The kids loved jumping on me and taking advantage of my crippled state...  Why is it the ones you love the most like causing the most pain?