Weird results when correcting intervals (Read 55 times)

joescott

Hey eric, perhaps your algorithm is working as intended and is working as it should the way most people would understand it, but it's broken from my always humble point of view.  Here's what I mean.

I uploaded a batch load of 400s that I ran this morning.  But, you know, they come from the GPS watch as 0.25 and 0.26 and so on, and certainly not exactly 400 meters.  So I thought, cool, there is this handy button that allows me to correct the interval distances (not sure what it would do if I had 400s and 800s in there or 400s with 200s recovery, but hey, this morning was plain Jane vanilla 400 intervals and 400 recoveries... but I digress), so I pressed it and corrected my intervals to 400 m instead of being (rounded) 0.25 and 0.26 and all over the place from the GPS.  Trouble is, it looks like your "fixer" parsed through the file, taking the GPS distance as gospel and then just re-apportioned the time throughout the workout.  So as a result my intervals got more and more out of whack as you move from rep 1 to rep 10, and the last rep was cut WAY short because of all those little pesky 0.01 miles adding up along the way.  My original *expectation* as a user was that the handy tool would keep the TIMES as gospel and assume my laps fell on 400m points (which was the case) and straighten out all those 0.26s and chop off and throw away the extra meters and make them 400 meters.  Am I making sense?  Anyway, I can just enter my intervals by hand, which is what I've done since Al Gore invented RunningAhead, but I thought I would try something new today and see if it could save me some time, but it didn't work out so well.

Joe

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

mikeymike

You have some wheels, Joe.

Runners run

kcam

If you want your intervals to be 400m exactly you will have to go into each uploaded interval and edit the distance to be 400m.  That does save you some time in entering time and distance.

That handy button is used to temporarily break down your GPS-recorded run into 400's or quarter-miles or 1mile or whatever you want.  It doesn't permanently alter the data or the intervals recorded by your watch.

HermosaBoy

It doesn't permanently alter the data or the intervals recorded by your watch.

And will include rest time or other time when the watch is stopped...

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

joescott

Ahhh.... OK.  Thank you kencamet and Rob, that's helpful feedback and now I understand better what the objective is of the feature.

BTW, thanks, Mike.  Nice thing of you to say.  Kinda brightened my day a bit, I must say.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.