Water Station Etiquette? (Read 1427 times)

xor

+1.  Volunteering at a race to get pelted with empty cups and gatorade always deserves a 'thank you'.

Oh it's worse than that.

Those cups are rarely completely empty.

I always feel badly for the volunteer who has stationed her/himself by a trashcan... or happens to be putting stuff into a can when runners go by and launch partially filled cups toward the can/box.  This volunteer should be in a rain coat.  Lots more gatorade and water than empties.

Hoodoo Guru

If you can't hit the trash can, don't wad up your cup and throw it.  It's a lot easier to stack cups when the volunteers pick them off the ground if they are not crumpled. 

The tangents are moot.

Ross, knowing the course, I'd suggest going out easy on the down hill start and not looking at your watch and try to run comfortably hard until about 5 mile mark, where you turn off Providence onto Sharon That climb up providence can take a lot out of you, and if are working at that point tha later hills will feel bigger than they are, but until the last mile or so, they are are all fairly short after the first two climbs. Other than that, what everyone said about the water stations, and good luck with training and the race. Every year I ran this race I set a PR, cooler weather definitely helps,

Half Fanatic #846

I ran past a water station during a recent race where the volunteer a few yards past the tables was loudly pleading with the runners "Just throw 'em on the ground, folks - Just throw 'em on the ground please".  I thought it was strange to see everyone in front of me aim for the large trash container instead.  Perhaps they were trying not to "break the streak" by missing, but I doubt it. It's the only water station on the course that I remember.

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

Schmize

Another tip I learned through the years is to be aggressive in calling out what you want (either gatorade or water).  This lets the volunteer know and get it ready, and also lets the people behind you know that you are getting aid.  And if you want two waters, just shout out 2 waters.  It surprises them, but then they know and are prepared...

xor

Another tip I learned through the years is to be aggressive in calling out what you want (either gatorade or water).  This lets the volunteer know and get it ready, and also lets the people behind you know that you are getting aid.  And if you want two waters, just shout out 2 waters.  It surprises them, but then they know and are prepared...

"aggressive".

Ask/state what you want in time so's that they can process it.

But no need to yell, demand, be snippy, etc.

I'm 100% sure you didn't mean it that way (I was just using your words to comment), but I do see lots of folks barking out stuff at volunteers. 

Yes, it is a race and yes when it is M18 and your brain gets fuzzy, you might forget some social nice-ities.  But if you are the volunteer who has been barked at for a few hours, bleh.

This is only tangentially related to your original question but I will throw it out there anyway.

Get one of the wider hard plastic straws that come with kids cups at a lot of restaurants.  Cut it down to about the height of a paper cup + 2 inches and carry it with you.  In the water stop drop the straw in and suck the water out.  You don't have to tilt head or try to coordinate drinking nearly as much, it is much easier to get the fluid you need.

Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say, It is well, it is well with my soul.

Good idea, surprised that this is not being sold right now (The straw), you might want to apply for a patent quickly.

xor

Good idea, surprised that this is not being sold right now (The straw), you might want to apply for a patent quickly.

This would really tick off a dude we know as Geetah.

You mean someone granted a patent for a straw?

I look my best blurry!

I think Nobby told me about someone who actually attached a straw to a necklace of some kind.  Clever.  

xor

:-)

Ha.  No.  Not yet.  So have it if you so choose.

Many of us call this idea "the Geetah straw" because an RWOL cat named Geetah was the first guy "we" know of to float the idea (with recommendations for augmenting said McDonalds (?) straw) in a public running forum.

Mind you, "hey, use a straw" is not a complicated idea and I'm sure it is independently discovered/"invented" each race season.

I'm pretty sure he was not really the first person to ever carry a straw for drinking on the run, but he's the dude we all refer to anyway.

DRINK UP!

Hoodoo Guru

"aggressive".

Ask/state what you want in time so's that they can process it.

But no need to yell, demand, be snippy, etc.

I'm 100% sure you didn't mean it that way (I was just using your words to comment), but I do see lots of folks barking out stuff at volunteers. 

Yes, it is a race and yes when it is M18 and your brain gets fuzzy, you might forget some social nice-ities.  But if you are the volunteer who has been barked at for a few hours, bleh.

As a sometime volunteer I like people to aggressively yell what they want in advance as they approach.  Whether you are looking for Gu or need water and gatorade, it's the best way to get it in a fast crowd of people.  (Although, in srlopez's defense, not all volunteers may be equipped for this.)

The tangents are moot.

DoppleBock

I love when someone quotes themselves in their signiture --- What is Bill Allen up to these days anyway.

here's a link to runners world with a post from Geetah..

http://www.runnersworld.com/community/forums/training/marathon-race-training/geetah-straw/.1

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !