Hog wild! (Read 718 times)

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

1,051 lb wild hog killed in Alabama. Shocked I am rethinking whether or not I ever leave the house again to run.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

An 11-year-old boy used a pistol to kill a wild hog... Isn't that nice? An 11-year old with a hand gun.
      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Check out www.monsterpig.com. The pistol was a .50 caliber, which as I understand is a heavy machine gun round that can travel 3 miles maximum range and that can penetrate armor. Nice. And they will get 500-700 lbs of sausage. Roll eyes
        vicentefrijole

Given the size of that thing, I would've been surprised if he'd missed it! Like hitting the broad side of a barn? Still, it's kinda amazing he was able to take it down... I wonder how old it was and where it'd been hiding for so long?
          Scout7

Having fired a .50 cal machine gun, yes, they are quite large. The pistol rounds, however aren't quite as impressive as the MG rounds. The Desert Eagle is a good example. The Browning machine gun caliber .50 HB, M2, is a belt-fed, recoil-operated, air-cooled, crew-served machine gun. The gun is capable of single shot, as well as automatic fire, and operates on the short recoil principle. It can be fed from either the left or right side, has a cyclic rate of fire of 450-550 rounds per minute, a max range of approx. 6,764 meters, and a max effective range of 1,830m (area) or 1,500m (point).
            jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Having fired a .50 cal machine gun, yes, they are quite large.
              Sounds like I better not cross you again when changing my sig line... Tongue

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Oh. A .50 caliber pistol. Seems like reasonable fire-power for an 11-year old. I am sure some NRA-type will jump all over me, but doesn't this seem a bit extreme in the hands of someone the law deems not quite responsible enough to: drive a car, vote, have a beer, etc.?
                Scout7

Not an NRA-type, but the kid had his dad, and an experienced guide, with him during the hunt. If you're raised around guns, and have been taught proper safety and such, there's much less of an issue of accidental injury/death. And no, I did not grow up with guns, I've never been hunting, and don't own any to this day. But I shot a fair amount. That's right, Jeff. And I also know how to properly blow stuff up, too.....

madness baby

Oh. A .50 caliber pistol. Seems like reasonable fire-power for an 11-year old. I am sure some NRA-type will jump all over me, but doesn't this seem a bit extreme in the hands of someone the law deems not quite responsible enough to: drive a car, vote, have a beer, etc.?
                    Yeah, but back home, you can do all that stuff before the "law" says you can anyway. Well, except for vote. But when you're in a red state you know what's gonna happen anyway. PS- Not an NRA type, for sure. But I grew up near where this happened and kids know how to hunt.
                    deb
                      What did the hog do to deserve this? Confused I just don't "get" hunting. I grew up with it, and I just don't understand it.

Michelle

People eat meat every day. Those cows, chickens and pigs that we consume every day don't die from natural causes. Dead
                        Runners around the state are getting better today ...are you one of them? TRAIN HARD
                          I would NOT want to be out jogging and see this thing! Even if it squealed its little butt away scared to death of me, I think I'd just freeze and then fall over. Reminds me of the bear that I think was shot in Canada awhile back. Gnawed a guy's leg for awhile (after the guy tried to kill it w/ 6 shots from his handgun) but then eventually was shot by a ranger ..not sure with what type of gun. I can't find any links either, but the bear was HUGE.
                            People eat meat every day. Those cows, chickens and pigs that we consume every day don't die from natural causes. Dead
                            True. And as long as they eat it - it's not so bad. Plus, I can't imagine any of my children actually pulling the trigger to kill an animal.

Michelle

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I live about 130 miles from where this occurred and I run through the woods everyday. The woods are not lovely, dark, and deep; however, this story, coupled with my active imagination, has made me freak out every time I hear something in the underbrush. Surprised It looks like I've added "wild boar attack" to the array of mental tricks I play on myself to run faster, along with being chased by psychopathic hunters, the Blair Witch, Stephen King's IT, and the crazed "zombies" from the movie 28 Days Later (those muthas can move).

I live about 130 miles from where this occurred and I run through the woods everyday. The woods are not lovely, dark, and deep; however, this story, coupled with my active imagination, has made me freak out every time I hear something in the underbrush. Surprised
                                I guess if I had to run in fear of that thing coming out of the woods to get me I would be happy to hand a loaded weapon to my kid, or at least hope a hunter would get him.

Michelle