race photos (Read 1793 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Marathonfoto wants 59.95 for a single image full rights to do whatever you want with an image download.

FTFY.  Or you could buy a cheaper single print of that photo, but then you can't *legally* make further copies.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Shouldn't they have to pay us to take pictures of us? Big grin

I'm thinking some stranger with a camera shouldn't have a copyright of my physical appearance. 

I don't mind paying a person for a service if the price is reasonable and the work is good.  I haven't found that to be the case at most races.  

Live the Adventure. Enjoy the Journey. Be Kind. Have Faith!

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Something else to think about...every day we buy things with HUGE markups...this is especially true with things like clothing and running shoes.  Stuff made in 3rd world sweat shops.  We may not like the way these things are marked-up, but we still buy them, even if the money spent on many of these things never sees the pockets of people living in our communities.  I don't think any of us would consider stealing these things, simply because we don't agree with the pricing or markup over cost.

But I see it all the time...people so often don't value Art or intellectual property as much as they do tangible goods and will openly devalue and steal the work of others.  This puts hard-working, educated people out of business right in our own communities.  We all want to save a dollar, especially now, but at what cost to those around us?

~ Sarah Kay

I don't mind paying a person for a service if the price is reasonable and the work is good. 

I agree. So far, none of the "pro" race photos have been as good as the ones my wife or kids take with our cheapo digital camera. Since I would likely only use it as a profile pic for a little while, they are low value to me. A print has no value to me.

I gotta think that someone selling digital copies for $2 each is going to make a lot more money than the one selling them for $60.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

xor

Does anyone remember when VHS movies first came out, they were $99?

No?

Because it didn't last.

xhristopher

I don't think $60 is the optimal point of maximum profit for an image download. What if they could sell three times as many for $30?

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Every race needs to have this guy.  At the end of the season I'll be buying a few of my favorite shots.

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I don't think $60 is the optimal point of maximum profit for an image download. What if they could sell three times as many for $30?

Maybe...and it may not be the case with sports photography, but with portraiture there was always discussion about lowballing prices and creating the (often false) impression that ones work matches the asking price.  It could be a very tricky situation setting prices that would be affordable, but not have a potential customer believing that one's work was low-quality.  And customers don't always look at things with any level of objectivity.  I had a guy who told me flat-out that he wouldn't hire me to shoot his wedding, since my Canon camera (with a very good quality lens) had fewer megapixels than his point-n-shoot Sony POS.  People can be totally motivated by a #, right or wrong.

I don't know that this is as true with portraiture in the last few years, since good Photography has become much more of a luxury as the economy has fallen.  Wedding photography has definitely taken a hit, as more people are having a friend or family member with a decent camera photograph the event, as well as soliciting digital images from guests.

~ Sarah Kay

xhristopher

Now I'm wondering how much Disney wants for a pic of me on Splash Mountain? Similar business model.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

x, there is an entire website devoted to those photos of people playing chess on amusement park rides.  Hilarious!

~ Sarah Kay

Elly.

I agree. So far, none of the "pro" race photos have been as good as the ones my wife or kids take with our cheapo digital camera. Since I would likely only use it as a profile pic for a little while, they are low value to me. A print has no value to me.

I gotta think that someone selling digital copies for $2 each is going to make a lot more money than the one selling them for $60.

Bonkin' $1 - $2 Is insulting. Obviously you do not care about quality. Quantity is your selling factor. Paypal and gas money would erase any very meager profit.

http://www.ellyfosterphotography.com/

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Marathonfoto wants 59.95 for a single image download.

I assume marathonfoto is putting those idiots out there laying down in the middle of the race course, so I want nothing to do with them.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

xor

Heh.

"Brightroom?  They sit down in the middle of the road! They should call them Dumbroom."

edcrawfordlv

Bonkin' $1 - $2 Is insulting. Obviously you do not care about quality. Quantity is your selling factor. Paypal and gas money would erase any very meager profit.

Puleez.  It's a race photo. The person that finished 2594th in the race isn't looking for a "pro" photograph.  They also don't care if it is a $3k camera or a picture from an iPhone.  They just want a vanity picture to send to the people at work.   I might be willing to spend a few bucks for a digital copy of a picture, otherwise I'm not a potential customer.  Although i could just email the URL to the proof page.

e

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Puleez.  It's a race photo. The person that finished 2594th in the race isn't looking for a "pro" photograph.

Why not?  You know this...how?

~ Sarah Kay