Strengthening Other Leg Muscles (Read 1491 times)

If you haven't done them before, then go with body weight or just the bar. When I was in college, I used to pretty light weights and a lot of reps - 85 to 100 pounds max. A couple of years ago I read the New Rules of Lifting, and did one of the programs from that book before running one of my marathons (I finished the program about 2 weeks before the race.) Instead of going lower weight and higher rep as I got closer to the race, the program had me increasing the weight and lowering the reps. I wound up squatting about 240 pounds and deadlifting about 200 pounds for a minimum of 8 reps per set. At the time I weighed about 135 pounds, maybe 140 pounds. It was easy to set PRs when I hadn't really lifted heavy before.
    I am doing NROL now and have found it to be the best weight training program out there. Its fun and changes enough that you never get bored or use to the workouts. I have seen great strength improvement in my legs. I had never done free weight squats before or dead lifts. They were really tough at first and I had to decrease my running just a bit while I adapted to them. Now I am back up training for my first 1/2 and still doing NROL. You should at least check out the book and see if it is for you. Start slow and low weight.