Honest answers sought about my planned first race (Read 661 times)

Now that was a bath...

Well now that I have figured out how to share my log I thought I would seek advice about my first race. My general fitness levels are very good as I walk 8km a day on top of the running. I am however wondering if I have bitten off more than I can chew with the Waiheke race. It is described as a 'very hilly' course. I am looking to do the 12 km run (although there is an option of a 7km) and the 'proper runners' will be doing the 24km. Currently I am not running very far but I am finding the distances very easy to achieve and I expect to progress to longer distances quickly. I am just trying to be cautious to avoid injury (something that I find difficult as I really want to push myself and I get pleasure from the challenge). Well today I met a woman that lives on Waiheke and she was like 'Oh my God - you're not running that are you - have you seen the size of the hills?'. I intend to include more hill work in my training in preparation (only possible at the weekends as I don't drive) and I have until January 20th to get fitter. Unfortunately the Waiheke Website hasn't worked for the last week so i can't check the course against the elevation map here. I am hoing it will be up soon so that I can appropriately prepare for this. Is the 12k a reasonable goal for me? All and any opinions will help me. I am so glad to have found this board. Claire xxx
  • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
  • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
    Scout7

Ok, lessee......The race is 20 Jan, it's currently 21 Nov, that gives you just about 2 months. Your current long run is around 4.5 miles (sorry, I'm bad at converting, I just know 5k = 3.1 miles and go from there), and you want to race a distance of 12 k, which would be right around 7 or 8 miles.... You could totally do it. If you up your long runs by about a mile (or whatever equivalent distance) a week, stepping it back some every third or fourth week, you'd still be able to do it. And injury free. Don't do any speed work, and I would avoid hill-specific workouts. I would say incorporate hills into your regular runs, but don't do a focused day of hills (does that make sense?).
      JakeKnight

Is the 12k a reasonable goal for me?
        In a word: YES. On a flat course, definitely yes. As in, a piece of cake. On your course? Well, just how "reasonable" it is will depend on exactly what "very hilly" means. Only fishermen and golfers exaggerate more than runners, so you never know exactly what "hills" really means. Sometimes what people call "very hilly" will make you laugh. Sometimes, it'll make cry from the pain. Have you actually seen the course? Regardless - do the 12k. If the hills are tough - good. Then you'll have the challenge you were looking for. To quote the great Roy McAvoy, "Greatness courts failure." And if you find the hills just too darn easy, I know a place that you could visit next year: http://harpethhillsmarathon.com/

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
        -----------------------------

Now that was a bath...

Thanks lads! Thanks for the encouragement! Sir Jake, I think not baby puppy. I'll bask in the insanity of those that 'can' whilst wallowing in the bed of those that 'quiver at the thought'. A hills a hill - but some hills are mountains. You, me and Mohammed know all about that one. I am so annoyed that the Waiheke website is down. I am desperate to see the route again. I have never been to Waiheke but the lady I spoke to the other day said that some of the hills she was too scared to drive up. I'll ride on the fact that a hills a hill but that woman's not me - although frankly I wouldn't drive up a steep hill either as I have never learnt to drive so it would be pretty stupid. Claire xxx
          JakeKnight

Hey, post the link for the site when it comes back up!

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
            -----------------------------

madness baby

You can totally do it!! Jake's advice sounds great. I'd suggest the training program at runnersworld.com. I never really ran before until a few weeks ago, and by following the training plan pretty closely I'm doing a 5-mile race tomorrow. Follow the experienced runners advice about hills and all, but I just thought I'd weigh in on your ability to train for it. As you get into higher mileage, I'd urge you to plan for rest days and stick to them. As I've become a little addicted lately, I've wanted that "challenge" you describe and didn't rest a couple of times after longer runs, which resulted in terrible runs that were just discouraging. Good luck Claire!
              deb

Now that was a bath...

Thanks Alilone. I'll check out that program. The website is still down so I emailed them instead. My questions... "What's going on with the website? What date do I have to get the entry form in by? How challenging is the course?" The response... Hi Claire Site will be back up shortly and will advise. Mail entries by 13 Jan 07 Very. Regards Ian I feel really confident that I can do this though. Who knows, I might run the 25km next year! Claire xxx
                Wingz

Professional Noob

I'd not answered this one before because I couldn't think of how to say what I wanted to say. Figured it out this morning... You do have enough time between now and Jan 20 to train for your race, and if that's what you want to do, then go for it! Keep in mind, however, that the quality of your race experience will be determined by what you do in between now and then. You "win" a race through how you prepare for it. So you need to address the race. Two things you'll want to focus on: 1) You know the distance. It's more than you're doing now. Don't panic, but do continue increasing your milage. You've got a 7 km long run right now, and your race is 12 km... so you'll probably want to bump up the length of your long run about a km/wk until you get to the 12 km mark. Knowing that you can run that distance because you've done it before is a *great* confidence booster. It seems really long now, but if you've run a long run of 12K 3-4 times beforehand, it won't seem so scary on race day. While you're bumping up your weekly long run, don't neglect the rest of your weekly milage. If you keep increasing your overall weekly milage about 10%/wk until you're in the 36 km/wk range, that should be enough to get you through it. Of course, you can always do more, but I wouldn't suggest less. Wink 2) You know it has hills, even though you don't know how bad they are. Bummer! That adds to the anxiety level. For sure, find out as soon as you can. But until then, why not pick out the nastiest, ugliest hill route around that you can find and turn that into a "normal" run for you? Of course, your speed will drop down some at first. Don't fret it. Just get used to running on the hills. Hills are your friend - they make you stronger. Every time you train on those nasty, ugly hills you are getting stronger. )And a lot of your competition won't be ready for hills. You will be. Evil grin ) If the race hills are less, you'll be very well prepared. If they're more, well, there's not much more you could have done anyway... From where I am, it looks totally doable, but it'll take work. The end result is totally up to you and the efforts and training you put in, consistantly, between now and then. Good luck!

Roads were made for journeys...

Now that was a bath...

Thanks Janell. I managed to run 8.5km today on a hilly route and considering I got lost twice, got caught in traffic twice, had to tie a shoe lace, got stitch and had to walk, got chased by an errant dog around the volcanic rim, got rained on and blown by the wind - I was really impressed with my pace! Now I know that this isn't the fastest pace time in the world but I managed 11:19 - and considering the amount of times I had to stop I was pleased with that! I found the hills challenging (and they are by no means the nastiest, ugliest hills around). It was a constant up/down that really made me think about what I was facing in the Waiheke race. Today was the first run that I have found personally challenging so I am pretty chirpy that i made it and didn't give up. I like the concept of increasing by a km a week. We'll see how I do with increasing my daily mileage - great advice about that too Janell. I have to say that my personal challenge for the Waiheke race is to finish still running. In my head I am the only girl out there for that race and I have no intention of racing anyone! I also think that I might get my husband to take me to Waiheke in mid December and check out the course. I'll probably drive the whole thing - then pick out the most challenging 10km and give that a trial. If I survive that then I will know that I am in good shape for my 'Big Day'. Now all I have to do is sort out my shoes! Oh - and train lots! Claire xxx
                    Wingz

Professional Noob

Hey, if you found a set of hills that are "pretty challenging" right now, and it makes you proud to have completed your run, then that's a good place to start. You don't have to take on "nasty & ugly" right away... just make sure you do well enough before race day so that you've got a chance to get used to them. If/when your current hills cease to challenge you, then move on up! Big grin On a side note... finishing "still running" is a great goal, but if you get to the race and the hills are monstrous dragons compared with anything you've done before, you very well may want to consider walking up the hills from the start... that'll leave you running down them and on the flat parts... which will be faster than trying to run the uphills starting out and getting so wiped out that you're barely trudging in by the end. :: shrug:: Just a thought. Depends on how bad they are compared to what you manage to train with. Wishing you luck on your race!!!

Roads were made for journeys...