misc update 6 (Read 1830 times)

eric :)

Greetings all! This batch of uploads contains a potpourri of changes. I've been working on adding minor features and making the site more stable. Here is the list of new changes: Added: Reverse route I finally got around to adding reverse route for maps. There is now a new button on the map toolbar that will allow you to flip the starting and ending points of the route. You'll also notice that the icons are changed. Hopefully, this will be clearer on their usage. Added: Shoe size field I added a shoe size field in the edit shoe page. The size unit will depend on your country. So if you didn't specify your country, it'll default to USA. Basic page printing support I tried to finish up map printing yesterday, but ran out of time. I'll have to upload that change some other time. With the way the site is laid out,printing to paper was not to useful. I added some small change to how the HTML was constructed such that when you print a page now, the header and footer on the page will be removed. If you're printing a page from the training log, the side panel tabs will be removed as well. You don't have to do anything special for printing. Go ahead, try doing a print preview and see for yourself. New home page In an attempt to look less amateurish, I redid the home page to bring it up to par with other websites. Hopefully, it's now less of an eye sore. New navigational tabs Along with the new home page, I also redid the top level navigational tabs. The goal here is to make it more visible to the user. Before, the unselected tabs and their text are hard to read. Hopefully this will make them stand out more. Workout specific pace/speed On the workouts list, the pace and speed column will be displayed according to the workout type. For example, pace will be shown for running, and speed for cycling. Display distance in workouts list according to viewer's preference Before, the distance is in the workouts list displayed using the owner of the log's preferences. Now if you're viewing someone else's log, the distance will be displayed using your distance unit. Better error detection Some of you have encountered errors on the site. When that happens, I get an email telling me what the error was and any additional information on the error. Once in a while, an error would occur without any additional information to help me find the cause. I made changes in the code in hopes of detecting these errors earlier, which might help with finding the cause. Minor bug fixes I also fixed several minor bugs that aren't note worthy enough to get their own description. That's all I can remember. Keep the feature requests coming. I might not be able to get to them immediately, but I'll get to them eventually. As always, I like to thank all my beta users for their help and feedbacks. eric Smile
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

New home page In an attempt to look less amateurish, I redid the home page to bring it up to par with other websites. Hopefully, it's now less of an eye sore.
      I never thought it looked amateurish or an eyesore...though I really like the 3-D quality of those tabs on top. Very sleek and smooth. Kudos on a continued job well-done. Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

vicentefrijole

In an attempt to look less amateurish, I redid the home page to bring it up to par with other websites. Hopefully, it's now less of an eye sore.
        It looks excellent, Eric.... and anything but amateurish. In fact, it's hard to believe that one person is responsible for this smooth, professional site. To me, it looks like the product of a top-notch web-design firm. Well done. I look forward to looking at your other changes also. Big grin

Some of my friends are quite critical of the general look and feel of the site, particularly the home page. They are looking out for my best interest and want the site to be great. There's a reason why I'm a programmer and not a designer. It takes me much less time to add the code for a feature than to come up with a layout. The tabs took many attempts and even more hours. Anyway, I welcome any negative feedbacks you may have because improvements are made by responding to criticisms.
          Runreno

Great job Eric. Your fine tunning is making things easier for all of us so thanks. The only negative you should be worrying about is the negative split on the second half of your races. Thanks again.

www.running-distance-tips.com

could we make it so admins can change others settings to public or switch them off or private ppl in my group are having a hard time nad i would rather just fix the settings for them thanks steve
              scrumhalfgirl

Thank you so much - everything looks great!

-Jess

paulberman

hi eric, I have only recently started using the site and I think it is fantastic; I especially like the mapping function...One tiny thing, when you put in a time for a run, it doesnt always seem to bring the pace up if you put in hours , mins and seconds as the entry suggests by the side of it...I am separting with colons, but for instance, 2:16 works, 2:16: 30 doesnt...thanks again, Paul
                    Great job! Thanks!
                    JakeKnight

Hey Eric - I've been using your site for a good six months now but this is my first message. I'll keep it short and sweet: I cannot thank you enough for all you've done here. As someone who's just begun to take running a little seriously, this site has done wonders for me. It's hard to believe you've done all this for free! I echo the others, by the way, in saying that the home page was just fine the way it was; in fact, it seemed pretty professional to me. But it does look even better with the improvements. When I am able, I will be making as much of a donation as I can via PayPal. And if I hit the Lotto numbers, you're going to be a rich man. Not enough people in the world doing things like this. Thank you - and keep up the good work! Jake

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                      -----------------------------

could we make it so admins can change others settings to public or switch them off or private ppl in my group are having a hard time nad i would rather just fix the settings for them thanks steve
                        Steve, If I allow group admins to control its members' log settings, then it becomes a privacy issue. Maybe you can post instructions on how to change the setting in the group. I hope you understand. eric Smile

And if I hit the Lotto numbers, you're going to be a rich man.
                          LOL! Thanks for the thought Jake. I hope that you will win the lottery soon!
                            I Love this Place! Eric, you are the Main Man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Big grin
                            What we do in life, echo's in eternity. Maximus.
                              FYI The new look doesn't display right in IE 7 RC 1, just something to look into for the near future. Looks great in IE6 though! Big grin
                                Here is an example of the problem I have in IE7. The buttons do not show up right for some reason. http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/cderuyter81/detail?.dir=17ebre2&.dnm=db19re2.jpg&.src=ph