an article for your friends who fear running (Read 314 times)

scappodaqui

rather be sprinting

Fine.  I'm sorry I posted in this thread when I'm clearly just bitter and angry and sad about my own situation.  But there's no call to be nasty to someone who is clearly suffering.  Last time I was injured I left this site, and I'll do so again so as not to drag anyone down with me, largely because when I can't run I become suicidally depressed, which no one needs to experience (it's hard enough living with it).  So yes, there are clearly benefits to running, like the alleviation of depression--it's better for that than almost any other exercise, in fact.  Go running.  You are all so incredibly lucky you have no idea.  I've said before that I love running, but it's like an abusive relationship--it doesn't love me back.

(also, I want to comment that those of you who say that you would be fat without running really need to work on the dysfunction that causes you to overeat... not turn to exercise bulimia to erase your gluttony.  I don't get fat when I can't run because I exercise self-discipline.  If only I had similar self-discipline when it came to venting my anger on online forums.  Hm.  I guess I get angry instead of eating my feelings.)

PRs: 5k 19:25, mile 5:38, HM 1:30:56

Lifting PRs: bench press 125lb, back squat 205 lb, deadlift 245lb

kcam

Fine.  I'm sorry I posted in this thread when I'm clearly just bitter and angry and sad about my own situation.  But there's no call to be nasty to someone who is clearly suffering.  Last time I was injured I left this site, and I'll do so again so as not to drag anyone down with me, largely because when I can't run I become suicidally depressed, which no one needs to experience (it's hard enough living with it).  So yes, there are clearly benefits to running, like the alleviation of depression--it's better for that than almost any other exercise, in fact.  Go running.  You are all so incredibly lucky you have no idea.  I've said before that I love running, but it's like an abusive relationship--it doesn't love me back.

(also, I want to comment that those of you who say that you would be fat without running really need to work on the dysfunction that causes you to overeat... not turn to exercise bulimia to erase your gluttony.  I don't get fat when I can't run because I exercise self-discipline.  If only I had similar self-discipline when it came to venting my anger on online forums.  Hm.  I guess I get angry instead of eating my feelings.)

There's some degree of truth in that sentence. Thanks for the reminder, Scappodaqui.  Get better.

But there's no call to be nasty to someone who is clearly suffering.  

I cannot see how anyone was nasty to you at all.  You'll pretty much read talk about running and how running is good on a running website. That's how life works.  If that's not a healthy thing for you to read then it's probably not healthy for you to read it.

I hope you heal and I hope you find something else healthy to do to replace running for a while.  It happens for lots of people.

Feeling the growl again

There's some degree of truth in that sentence. Thanks for the reminder, Scappodaqui.  Get better.

There is also a degree of fallacy.  With healthy mileage I was able to hold my target racing weight of 145-150 with little effort.  If I'm off running for an extended period, it takes near-starvation diet to stay that light because my BF% is very low.  One's body does not like this absent exercise and will work to get you to a more comfortable BF%.

To characterize this as exercise bulimia is kind of offensive to runners and discounts the seriousness of real bulimia at the same time.  Excessive exercise can be used by those with bulimia but a lot of exercise is not necessarily bulimia.

Of course I am fat now and it is because I eat too much on top of not running enough. Smile

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

joescott

There is also a HUGE degree of fallacy.

Ohmigosh, where would one even start?  (I guess you did, spaniel)!

Having experienced what I feel like is my own share of major running setbacks, I can empathize very much with what scappodaqui is going through, but I think lashing out at others by "diagnosing" them with some disorder is probably not helpful to anyone.  But I appreciate being called an undisciplined slob.  Lots of people routinely comment on my obvious lack of self discipline.  

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Throwing around untruths and insults is not the best way to gain the sympathy craved.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Latent Runner

Hmmm, my "dysfunction" is that I love eating food, I generally do not care which cusine, I pretty much like them all.  As for being fat, yup, I'm a fat person in a thin(ish) person's body, and proud of it.  When I run my body reverts to being thin(ish) and when I don't run (either due to work/family/life constraints or due to injury) I get fat, plain and simple.  For my part I'd rather be fat than to not eat the way I love to eat; fortunately I can run and have the best of both worlds, five to six thousand calories per day AND be relatively thin.  Smile

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
                • 2-mile: 13:49
                • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
                • 5-Mile: 37:24
                • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
                • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
                • Half Marathon: 1:42:13

If running helps with this, I'd consider all other issues you may be having to be a reasonable price.

Also we all know runners are slobs, gluttons and drunks with their stinky clothes, muddy shoes, snot blowing, sandwich eating on the run (looking at you AP), beer drinking, having large buffet tables at ultras and so on.  Maybe even bulimic what with the exaggerated throwing up after a hard run race and don't even me get started on beer miles, hash runs and other debauchery.  Running is a disgusting, pointless exercise in futility (unless you can win of course)  not sure why people pay money to run.

gpb

If I didn't run, I probably wouldn't exercise.  I certainly wouldn't exercise nearly as intensely or as much.  If I didn't exercise, I know I would weigh at least 35 pounds more than I do now (because that's how overweight I was when I started about 13 years ago).  I also know I would have high cholesterol and probably would have to be on some kind of drugs for that.

Using my single data point running is exceptionally healthy.

Well put.

Data point #2: I was 60 pounds heavier when I started running eight years ago.    Going back to that would be adding 40% to my current weight.  Heaven knows what my cholesterol numbers would have been.

It isn't so much that running burns off enough calories to allow me to eat whatever I want, but that goal races and maintaining/improving running performance also drive eating discipline in portion sizes and food choices.  Running IS my therapy for controlling my appetite for calorie dense foods.

Latent Runner

Running IS my therapy for controlling my appetite for calorie dense foods.

Too funny; running is my motivation for seeking out new calorie dense foods and consuming them with gusto.  Smile

Fat old man PRs:

Feeling the growl again

I have had problems controlling my appetite and restricting what I eat at lunch to lose weight.  At lunch I went and did a track workout....zero appetite now.  So works sometimes.

Too funny; running is my motivation for seeking out new calorie dense foods and consuming them with gusto.  Smile

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Latent Runner

I have had problems controlling my appetite and restricting what I eat at lunch to lose weight.  At lunch I went and did a track workout....zero appetite now.  So works sometimes.

That only seems to happen to me when I run on really hot days (of which we only get two to three weeks worth of per year around here); the rest of the year I am typically ravenous following my runs.  Geez I love to eat.  Smile

Fat old man PRs:

cookiemonster

Connoisseur of Cookies

...largely because when I can't run I become suicidally depressed, which no one needs to experience (it's hard enough living with it).  So yes, there are clearly benefits to running, like the alleviation of depression--it's better for that than almost any other exercise, in fact. 

I'm going to take this one step farther and suggest that if you really feel suicidally depressed if you can't run there may be other issues here that need to be addressed by a mental health professional.

I don't know you aside from some of the comments you've posted here in these discussions.  However, if this is a true statement it's pretty alarming at face value.  As you won't be running for at least a little while longer please consider getting additional help.

I'm going to go out on a limb here, too, and say that calling all other runners bulimic is simply a stress reaction to the fact that you can't run.  Or do you really, honestly, believe that all runners are bulimic and simply manage their eating disorder through running?

I get it.  Really, I do.  You're injured... *again*.  You're stressed.  You're depressed.  But you're not making much sense here.  And taking out your frustrations on others really isn't doing you any good.  Please consider getting additional help to get you through this healing process.

***************************************************************************************

"C" is for cookie.  That's good enough for me.

BeeRunB

Yet more ammo in the "no really, running is good for you" bucket, for your skeptical friends who think your form of exercise, while good cardiovascularly, is bad for you structurally:

http://nyti.ms/1dxMVpm

The takeaway - high impact is great for your bones if your body is in a well enough state to handle it (they cite that running faster than 10 min/mile will do the trick). As someone who comes from a line of women who develop osteoporosis, I like this news.

Good article. It inspired me to go back to stomping my feet (in addition to yelling and guilt-tripping) when I'm not getting what I want.

Gang Name "Pound Cake"

Really, it's so good to know how healthy it is to run when right now (once again) I can't even walk to the bus without incredible pain.

According to the CDC: Bathing and showering appear to be particularly dangerous. Overall, about two-thirds of accidental injuries happen in the bathtub or shower — which makes sense, because each can become slippery. But many injuries involve the toilet: standing up, sitting down, or using it. (Yes, about 9% of the total injuries were from overexertion.)

Therefore, since running often causes one to shower & $hit more often, running may be particularly dangerous.

The safest way to live one's life is to rarely bathe, avoid all forms of exercise, and never get in a vehicle (in fact just stay indoors at all times).

- Scott

2014 Goals: First Marathon - BQ2016 <3:40 (3:25:18) - 1/2M <1:45 - 5K <22:00

2014 Marathons: 05/04 Flying Pig (3:49:02) - 09/20 Air Force (BQ 3:25:18) - 11/01 Indianapolis Monumental